Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Broke down and wont start. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1499109-broke-down-and-wont-start.html)

snorindad 07-15-2017 03:52 PM

Broke down and wont start.

1 Attachment(s)
So this happened yesterday. Heading north for the weekend truck lost power and when I pulled over it quit. I have an Edge CTS and all numbers were good. I talked to a mechanic I know and he said try some brake clean or something in the intake and see if it fires. So I did and it started briefly. I am thinking it is not getting fuel. When I turn the key to the on position I should be able to hear the HPFP but I do not. I believe it is making some faint clicking but not the normal sound. Is there anyway to test either fuel pump or does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be. Thanks

Excurvelle 07-15-2017 04:16 PM

Take off the cover to the fuel filter under the hood and turn the key on, it should fill. If there is no fuel in it then nothing is coming from the pump on the rail. If you have fuel, you need to look deeper. Did it act like it ran out of fuel? Not a good thing for the injectors. Do not use starting fluid!

snorindad 07-15-2017 04:19 PM

I pulled the cover off the fuel filter on top of the engine and yes there is fuel there. And I only sprayed the brake clean to see if it would fire. I was on the side of the hwy with little options. And yes it was driving fine then just lost power and shut down.

diesel_dan 07-15-2017 04:28 PM

Did you try unplugging the ICP? What was IPR % when cranking? I don't see in your sig line if you have replaced the STC off the HPOP, have you? About how many miles on your truck?

snorindad 07-15-2017 04:43 PM

I have replaced the stc fitting. the truck has approx. 150k on it. When I pulled the heads I tried to make sure I did all the fixes/upgrades to the motor. I have owned two 6.0's over the last twelve years and this is the first time it left me stranded.

snorindad 07-15-2017 04:44 PM

I do not believe it is an oil pressure thing since it fired immediately with the brake clean.

FiznUKa 07-15-2017 04:48 PM

Check the inertia switch. Check the connections to the HCFM on the frame rail. Have someone turn the key to the on position but no crank while you are under the truck and listen and feel for the pump to come on. If nothing check the fuses.

Rusty Axlerod 07-15-2017 05:38 PM

By spraying the brake fluid you skipped everything in the fuel system including sync at the crank and cam sensors, FICM, PCM, injectors, high pressure oil system, fuel supply etc. it didn't help a lot. With fuel in the upper filter housing, it would seem the pump and lines are ok to that point (pressure and volume may still be an issue). Knowing ICP and IPR would be good, along with sync status and FICM power. On the farm if a diesel has a problem it's never a bad idea to throw som fuel filters in before getting too bogged down in details. We change them by mileage but that assumes decent fuel, one bad tank can trash even a new filter.

scarty111 07-15-2017 06:46 PM

How much was the tow bill?

texastech_diesel 07-15-2017 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by snorindad (Post 17330243)
When I turn the key to the on position I should be able to hear the HPFP but I do not.

Quick (and very messy) test would be to remove the fuel return to tank line on the HFCM and see if diesel comes out when someone turns the key to on-not cranking. Upper/rear line on the cover.

snorindad 07-15-2017 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by scarty111 (Post 17330523)
How much was the tow bill?

$543.40 for 57 miles.

snorindad 07-15-2017 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod (Post 17330409)
By spraying the brake fluid you skipped everything in the fuel system including sync at the crank and cam sensors, FICM, PCM, injectors, high pressure oil system, fuel supply etc. it didn't help a lot. With fuel in the upper filter housing, it would seem the pump and lines are ok to that point (pressure and volume may still be an issue). Knowing ICP and IPR would be good, along with sync status and FICM power. On the farm if a diesel has a problem it's never a bad idea to throw som fuel filters in before getting too bogged down in details. We change them by mileage but that assumes decent fuel, one bad tank can trash even a new filter.

I just changed the fuel filters and the upper housing is filling with fuel. I change the fuel filters every other oil change, so they were due in about 4k. So the ficm is reading 49 volts. I am charging my batteries at this point due to the fact they are run down. they are at the 4 year mark. Plus AZ heat, running flashers for 5 hours and screwing around with different things. Tomorrow when they are charged I will try and get more readings. My ICP was fine yesterday when I was driving. I might have gone south when I lost power but I was too busy looking for a place to get off the road.

Tofan 07-15-2017 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by snorindad (Post 17330585)
I just changed the fuel filters and the upper housing is filling with fuel. I change the fuel filters every other oil change, so they were due in about 4k. So the ficm is reading 49 volts. I am charging my batteries at this point due to the fact they are run down. they are at the 4 year mark. Plus AZ heat, running flashers for 5 hours and screwing around with different things. Tomorrow when they are charged I will try and get more readings. My ICP was fine yesterday when I was driving. I might have gone south when I lost power but I was too busy looking for a place to get off the road.

So did you try to start your truck after it had cooled down? I know you said you "did all the fixes" but did they include standpipe and dummy plugs? Injector o rings, Nipplecup o rings? We need to see some numbers......Also please measure your batteries and let us know. If everything is looking good, it could point to a HPOP. Might want to check your oil as well....

rattleNsmoke 07-15-2017 10:05 PM

Mine did exactly the same goddamn thing and left me on the side of the road. Ended up blowing out the screen in the IPR valve.

m-chan68 07-16-2017 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke (Post 17331024)
Mine did exactly the same goddamn thing and left me on the side of the road. Ended up blowing out the screen in the IPR valve.

In my experience, a sudden engine shutdown mimicking the same symptom as someone accidentally turning the ignition off, has been repaired successfully with an IPR valve replacement 90% of the time, if the actual cause is a sudden loss of sufficient ICP psi. Even more so, is if this is an '05 and up truck.