Mud flap recommendations - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Mud flap recommendations

Old 07-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Flyview
New User
Flyview is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mud flap recommendations

Hey guys,

I really need to order and install some mud flaps on my 1992 E250. The body is just getting pelted with rocks, mud, and tar, especially after putting on wider rims (17"x9" ET-12 rims with 245/75/17 tires). I was thinking of ordering the OEM mudflaps (link). What do you guys recommend? Are there slightly wider ones available? My front tires stick out past the widest part of the fender a little bit.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM
gcvt
Senior User
gcvt is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice Sportsmobile. I see you're also a member on the Sportsmobile forum. There's quite a few mud flap threads over there that you may find helpful.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Flyview
New User
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Nice Sportsmobile. I see you're also a member on the Sportsmobile forum. There's quite a few mud flap threads over there that you may find helpful.
Thanks! I've slowly been fixing and improving things on it since I bought it in December. Now that I'm back home I'm able to do some things I wasn't quite able to while living in it full time!

I picked up a full set of the OEM mud flaps (pic below) I found on Kijiji brand new for cheap! Problem is it doesn't look like my fenders have any pre-existing holes for them and it doesn't look like the mud flaps themselves have any starter holes or templates either. Any ideas on what I should do?

Old 07-21-2017, 11:40 PM
gcvt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Flyview View Post
Thanks! I've slowly been fixing and improving things on it since I bought it in December. Now that I'm back home I'm able to do some things I wasn't quite able to while living in it full time!

I picked up a full set of the OEM mud flaps (pic below) I found on Kijiji brand new for cheap! Problem is it doesn't look like my fenders have any pre-existing holes for them and it doesn't look like the mud flaps themselves have any starter holes or templates either. Any ideas on what I should do?

First and foremost, post a thread on the SMB forum about your full-timing experiences!

I had a similar deal on my old Dodge Ram. I had a friend hold the flaps in place while I eyeballed them for placement. Then we used a wax pencil to mark the flap along the body line, pre-drilled holes in the flaps, drilled through those holes in to the bodywork, added some black silicone to each hole and screwed those suckers on. Worked out quite well and never had any rust issues over the course of 13 years.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:35 AM
tractorfix
New User
tractorfix is starting off with a positive reputation.
The factory ones look so nice but I just can't help myself and always end up with the Yosemite Sam ones. Old habits die hard LOL

Old 07-31-2017, 09:23 PM
Flyview
New User
First and foremost, post a thread on the SMB forum about your full-timing experiences!

I had a similar deal on my old Dodge Ram. I had a friend hold the flaps in place while I eyeballed them for placement. Then we used a wax pencil to mark the flap along the body line, pre-drilled holes in the flaps, drilled through those holes in to the bodywork, added some black silicone to each hole and screwed those suckers on. Worked out quite well and never had any rust issues over the course of 13 years.
I'll get around to starting a thread on vanlife there at some point. So I went to line up the mud flaps and see where I would mount them but it's difficult to decide how far up or down and how far in or out they should be. I also noticed the fender lip isn't really perpendicular with the body of the van or the face of the wheel, so the mud flap will be slightly angled and not parallel with the tire, which I don't really like. Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture of the stock mounting points on a van that came with mud flaps?

Old 08-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Flyview
New User
Here's some pictures so it's more clear what I'm talking about. If i just screw straight into the front face of the fender, the mud flaps aren't parallel with the tread of the tire. They point towards the center of the van...

The rear:

The front:

Not as bad, but still not straight.

The only thing I can think of is to use some sort of asymmetrical washers, if they even exist... If someone could post up how their stock-mounted ones look, that'd be great!

Old 08-07-2017, 01:58 PM
gcvt
Senior User
Can you bend up some thin aluminum stock and bolt it to the edge of the flaps to straighten them?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Flyview
New User
Can you bend up some thin aluminum stock and bolt it to the edge of the flaps to straighten them?
To act as a sort of edge/spacer? Maybe...

Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 PM
gcvt
Senior User
I probably should have said "bend" instead of "straighten". Bend up some stock and bolt it to the mud flaps so that the mud flaps take the same shape/bend? Does that make sense?

Old 08-07-2017, 08:41 PM
Flyview
New User
I probably should have said "bend" instead of "straighten". Bend up some stock and bolt it to the mud flaps so that the mud flaps take the same shape/bend? Does that make sense?
I'm not sure if that would work. The space that needs to be filled in is on the outer edge of the fender. Would I be pinching in this piece with the same 3 screws that hold the mudflap on? I'm not sure what you mean by stock aluminum, I'm guessing a piece of aluminum?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:23 PM
wiskeyVI
Senior User
wiskeyVI is starting off with a positive reputation.
I ran into the same problem when I tried to put flaps on mine...they're still buried around here somewhere...
The flange on the fender is so thin and flimsy, I wouldn't trust it without some kind of extra bracketry as mentioned already.
Even considering that, They just didn't seem to want to fit the way I liked.