Sponsored by: Moser

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:55 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Battery

My current battery is 4 years old and has lots of corrosion building up on both terminals. Being in the Texas heat, I anticipate the battery will need to be replaced.

I am considering an Interstate MT7 AGM for replacement. I just bought one for my boat.

There is a lot of discussion on batteries for the diesels but not much for the lighter duty trucks.

Anybody have experience with this battery or recommendation for my F150?

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Battery terminal corrosion is a symptom, not a cause, as I see it. There have been some issues in the past with manufacturers using dissimilar metals in terminals and things like that, but that's a different issue. And some commenters have pegged Exide brand batteries with this problem due to the way they are constructed.

Still the issue is ultimately one of the battery state of charge, the health of the charging system itself, and the conductivity of the cables and grounds. Any resistance in the charging circuit degrades the alternator output severely and at the same time the regulator "sees" the resistance as a battery that needs charging. So the alternator spends a lot of time boiling the battery unnecessarily and this leads to excessive outgassing of the electrolyte. Moderate outgassing is part of the normal charging cycle, but it needs to be minimized. So if terminal corrosion is a problem, it's telling you there is a defect in the charging system, often older ground cables, poor grounding etc. Lots of short trips and/or chronically undercharged battery will also contribute to this.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
My factory battery pooped out after 6 years. I replaced it with the same Motorcraft part it came with. I've used Interstate before as well and consider them a high quality brand. Don't lose sleep over it; it's just a battery.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
The battery on the F150 is a Silver Calcium battery, IIRC.

I am not certain if a typical lead acid or AGM style battery will function normally with the F150 Battery Management System. I've never gotten a technician to give me a straight answer on that.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:15 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by SBV45
My current battery is 4 years old and has lots of corrosion building up on both terminals.
Whenever I install a battery I coat the terminals with Noalox and have yet to ever have any corrosion on the terminals. Home Depot carries it.

Ideal Industries - Noalox® Anti-Oxidant Compound

Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 PM
bigdaddyII
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced mine with one from the Ford house as that's where it died. I coated the terminals with Vaseline. Have done that the past few vehicles and have had no issues.

Old 07-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
The F250 I just bought actually has 2 Interstate batteries similar to the one you pictured. It starts great and I know it needs a bit of a tune up.

When I replaced the battery in my 2003 ccsb F150 I used to own I installed one I bought from Sam's Club. I don't recall the brand but that's what's about to go in my Oldsmobile too. I bought an Optima redtop from Jegs for my Oldsmobile and when it arrived it didn't hold a charge. Thankfully Jegs made good on it and refunded me the money I spent.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:18 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
tedster, good post.

My current battery is the original Ford product. I don't want to get caught out off road or on the boat ramp with a bad battery.
The MT 7 is similar to the Optima in that it is maint free, resistant to vibration, etc

i have had batteries crack a d leak at the posts, so I am maybe overly cautious.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Do you have a battery charger? Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, it's hard to come up with better bang for the buck in terms of preventive maintenance. The battery is the heart of the entire electrical system. While its main purpose is simply to start the engine (the alternator takes over at that point) a neglected battery becomes a problem by forcing the charging system to run hard and run hot, and can damage alternator stator, diodes and voltage regulator. Short trips leave the battery less than fully charged, not a huge deal, the truck will start. But there's a reason some folks have to replace them every couple years. I either use a battery tender or let the battery cook for a day on a regular charger every 2 or 3 months. They last a lot longer this way.

If they sit around a lot a battery will naturally lose its charge, especially in hot weather. Then, it sulfates the plates, in the fall when the weather turns, the first overnight cold snap it dies. I bet it's like clockwork at the auto parts store, a dozen people lined up before 8 o'clock.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 AM
SBV45
Postmaster
On my boat batteries 9crank and trolling motor), I have a trickle charger that keeps them fresh. There is a little led that lights up if you need some service. That's why I was looking into batteries plus the corrosion on my F150. I don't put that miles on my truck. It stays in the garage except for occasional long trip to the Gulf Coast or a ranch in South Texas. I have a spare trickle charger maybe I will use the trickle charger on the truck.

BTW my research shows there are two companies, Excide and Johnson Controls that make batteries. Interstate is owned by Johnson Controls. Do they make them to a vendors specification? IDK.

Anybody have reliable info on that?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Don't forget DEKA (East Penn)

More than you want to know about batteries, charging, and who makes what under what brand name:

http://www.batteryfaq.org

Old 07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
I found the corrosion was being caused by a leaking positive post. The cell next to the post was losing electrolyte causing the corrosion.
I got advice not to use the MT7 because of charging issues and that an Optima red top would be the way to go. Even with the provided adaptors, the Optima is too small for the F150's battery tray. There is about 3 inches fore and aft in the battery tray. The cables were stretched to make connections. The Optima would provide enough movement to eventually cause the cables to fail. So I went with a AGM type battery, also made by Johnson Controls for Advanced Auto. It has a full 3 year warranty.

Old 01-06-2022, 06:36 PM
Jikkelstikkel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AGM success/failure?

Originally Posted by SBV45
I found the corrosion was being caused by a leaking positive post. The cell next to the post was losing electrolyte causing the corrosion.
I got advice not to use the MT7 because of charging issues and that an Optima red top would be the way to go. Even with the provided adaptors, the Optima is too small for the F150's battery tray. There is about 3 inches fore and aft in the battery tray. The cables were stretched to make connections. The Optima would provide enough movement to eventually cause the cables to fail. So I went with a AGM type battery, also made by Johnson Controls for Advanced Auto. It has a full 3 year warranty.
AND how did it go with the AGM? It's now 2022 . Did you change any settings or codes (Forscan). I want to install an AGM but don't know if the charge circuit will cook it.