Sponsored by: DP Tuner

38R to T4 364.5 SXE Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:49 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
The 38R has a very loud whistle from 3.5lbs of boost up to about 7 or 8lbs. And that's with the A.I.S. intake. I will consider doing that swap! Anybody out there actually heard the difference between the 2?
I agree with BlueMax the KC drop in is quite and I run it with a 6637 filter as well.

Here is a video of it: https://drive.google.com/open?id=141...0_LqghNz1MEYzP

Prior to that, I had a stock turbo with ported housing and that thing was a screamer

Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
I haven't ridden in a truck with the old 38R before. But in my opinion my KC38R is quiet. I'm running basically a open 6637 filter and with the windows down you can hear it if you get on it hard. But my exhaust normally drowns out most of the sound except for Injectors when cruising around.
Bluemax65, if it is at all possible, try to get a video or two of your truck on the dyno for us to hear. If you can get a video or two of you accelerating on the road, that would be useful too.

There are numerous 38R videos, some 364.5 videos, but very few KC38R videos.

I am glad the thread is back on the right track now and can be utilized as a tool for making the right choice for any given truck and use.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:18 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was planning to. I'm going to run three different tunes between the three pulls I'm getting. Also looking forward to the live tuning to see the results between the PHP tune and the SDK tune.

I'm also glad we are back on track. My intent was only to share info about a little known system. When I did my research there was literally nothing out there. The owner of a well know Shop/Racer out here "Rowdy Racks" told me to trust him on this one and he was right.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:09 PM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Started doing my taxes today. Either try to save it to finance a season of racing or order a turbo. I'll be dammed if it gets spent $20 at a time on daily things.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon_oma#692
I'll be dammed if it gets spent $20 at a time on daily things.
Isn't that the truth.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:06 PM
Unc1eJesse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m running a kc38r on my ‘00 ex. I have 180/80 injectors with GH tunes. I haven’t towed anything significant yet, but a light box trailer I set the cruise and forget. No egt’s issues in a reasonable tune selection. All my egt’s match up with GH’s advertised specs. WOT, steep grade, 103deg ambient in a street tune will hit 1250 and settle. 2-4psi indicated boost in cruise, quickly climbs 6-12psi for small hills (North Texas). If I punch it it’ll hit 32 then regulate down to about 28 and hold. GH tunes are a little smokey and I still have a stock I/C...so there is room to improve my egt’s if needed. I really love how quiet the turbo is compared to the stock turbo; it has GREATLY improved the pleasure to drive.
Oh I choose the .84 ratio.
All that said, for my OBS I think I’ll go with the 364.5sxe. I was planning on the KC turbo for the obs, but with x-pipe availability and all the other mods for i/c etc etc. I think it’s better to do the conversion.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Unc1eJesse, thank you for your input and opinion on the KC turbo.

Just to be sure, your 2000 Excursion is an automatic right? I know they only came in automatic, but know of at least 2 other Excursions that have been converted to a manual transmission.

Did you install the turbo before, after or during the injector upgrade to 180/80? If you installed the turbo before, how did it work with the stock AD injectors?

Do you have a waste-gate controller set to 32 PSI when the turbo peaks or is that just where the turbo seems to max out?

You said "WOT, steep grade, 103deg ambient in a street tune will hit 1250 and settle". When you say settle, does that mean that you are still on the throttle hard but because the turbo has spun up the EGT's are lower? Roughly what temperature is settling that you are seeing, would you say it is closer to 1000, or 1100 or 1200 and just maintains?

Thanks again for the information. I apologize if you feel like this is an interrogation, but we are very interested to read what you have to say.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Unc1eJesse
New User
Not fully awake yet... so if I miss something just ask again. The trans is an automatic (BTS). I did everything at once... injectors, fuel system, turbo, up-pipes, and new gauges (the old electronic dash daq from before was stollen).
32 seems like peak boost before the wastegate can catch-up it will drop just below 30 after that.
1250 is a momentary peak in the hot-street tune. It drops just enough (needle width...I’d say 10-20deg) to let you feel safe. That is with wot maintained.
In an all-out race tune I don’t know where it stops because I wont stay in it to find out.

The daily/economy file that I leave it in for my wife to drive will never hit a dangerous level no matter how long I hold it.
The turbo spools so fast it I never have to wait on it.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:03 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
So what would be the advantages or disadvantages of using a 366 Sxe instead of the 364 ?

Kyle

Old 06-11-2018, 07:39 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
My .02 with my limited understanding/experience on the matter is that a larger turbo would mean more top end boost at the potential to sacrifice of low end spool up. Although with larger injectors, this trade off is reduced. I think it's a matter of the combination and the goals for the truck. I have the smaller 364.5 with .91AR and 175/80 (stage2.5) injectors so I get great spool and massive low end torque barking second gear on my econo tune. That I don't have head studs, I think this is a good combo as I still see 40psi with an agressive tune but have great throttle response. A 366 isn't that much bigger than a 364.5 so I believe it would still drive great with my truck but it would push more boost which, w/o having studs, would be a larger concern.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:11 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Macmathews
So what would be the advantages or disadvantages of using a 366 Sxe instead of the 364 ?

Kyle
Injector volume and nozzle % over stock would be the primary factor in making the decision between the two turbos. 175/80's and above would probably do better with the 366. Any smaller injector would probably drive the 364.5 the best, especially with stock nozzles.

Originally Posted by SRBF150
My .02 with my limited understanding/experience on the matter is that a larger turbo would mean more top end boost at the potential to sacrifice of low end spool up. Although with larger injectors, this trade off is reduced. I think it's a matter of the combination and the goals for the truck. I have the smaller 364.5 with .91AR and 175/80 (stage2.5) injectors so I get great spool and massive low end torque barking second gear on my econo tune. That I don't have head studs, I think this is a good combo as I still see 40psi with an agressive tune but have great throttle response. A 366 isn't that much bigger than a 364.5 so I believe it would still drive great with my truck but it would push more boost which, w/o having studs, would be a larger concern.
If anyone is interested, I'll be able to add some clarifying info either this weekend or early next week due to the fact that the OE turbo on the Ex has $hi+ the bed, the pedestal is leaking, the down pipe is not bent properly, and it needs up pipes too!

I placed an order with CSD today for the T4 with a BW366SXE. The turbo will be pushed by 160/0's (AC codes) so we'll see how that pans out until I upgrade the nozzles to 80%'ers. I have a feeling that it may be a little laggy due to the low volume with stock nozzles on the injectors and accompanying long FIPW. I maybe should have ordered the 364.5 even when considering the 80% nozzle upgrade. Time will tell....

IMHO, valve springs would be a higher priority than head studs: wouldn't want to float a intake valve due to high 40+ psi boost.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Another FTE'r joins the SXE club... By the time I get there you guys will have a full roster.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
Originally Posted by jhl3
Injector volume and nozzle % over stock would be the primary factor in making the decision between the two turbos. 175/80's and above would probably do better with the 366. Any smaller injector would probably drive the 364.5 the best, especially with stock nozzles.

If anyone is interested, I'll be able to add some clarifying info either this weekend or early next week due to the fact that the OE turbo on the Ex has $hi+ the bed, the pedestal is leaking, the down pipe is not bent properly, and it needs up pipes too!

I placed an order with CSD today for the T4 with a BW366SXE. The turbo will be pushed by 160/0's (AC codes) so we'll see how that pans out until I upgrade the nozzles to 80%'ers. I have a feeling that it may be a little laggy due to the low volume with stock nozzles on the injectors and accompanying long FIPW. I maybe should have ordered the 364.5 even when considering the 80% nozzle upgrade. Time will tell....

IMHO, valve springs would be a higher priority than head studs: wouldn't want to float a intake valve due to high 40+ psi boost.

Your wife isn't reading this..
You don't need to tell us your 54,000 mile turbo crapped out.. We know better LOL --- Just messing..
I'm sure you;ll love it

Kyle

Old 06-12-2018, 06:02 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Macmathews
Your wife isn't reading this..
You don't need to tell us your 54,000 mile turbo crapped out.. We know better LOL --- Just messing..
I'm sure you;ll love it

Kyle
Haha! Too funny! We actually have a pretty good agreement...I fund my work/toys and I fund her toy/toys...no questions asked.... Works well......I think....so far...

Well, the PO told me that he had put several different wheels on it in an attempt to get better MPG's and had switched back to the factory wheel. I know him. He is a straight up 6 o'clock kind of dude and he DOES like to experiment....ALOT! Evidently, some damage was done to the shaft based upon what I see. I contacted him just to get his take and he offered to rebuild it or make it good. Can't ask for any better than that but he is also having some health related issues so I'll wait until he gets back on his feet and maybe take him up on it...maybe not since we all know how to rebuild a turbo here and I haven't completely taken it apart...letting the ATF & acetone work for a week so it's easy peasy.

I've been wanting to experiment with a T4 since I saw one for the first time many years ago...maybe the early to mid 2000's but didn't want to risk screwing up one of the money making F350's due to lost time if it didn't work well. Now is my chance since the Ex is mostly a pavement queen that only tows 6-10k occasionally.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:38 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Another FTE'r joins the SXE club... By the time I get there you guys will have a full roster.
Oooh, I wanna be on the roster.

I've got a 369SXE Full Kit coming = )

Quick Reply: 38R to T4 364.5 SXE Conversion