Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do with this F-250?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 12:49 PM
JoeJErnst
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do with this F-250?

Let me apologize in advance for being so long-winded on my first post here...

I am helping a friend sell his in-law's truck. Unfortunately the father-in-law is in declining health due to Alzheimer's and can no longer drive, so the truck must be sold. I'm a "car guy" but I don't know much about trucks. I need some advice about how much effort I should put into the truck before it goes up for sale. Here are the particulars:

1990 F-250 Lariat XLT 2WD
460 engine, auto trans, overdrive
60,000 original miles
Damn near flawless interior and body. (seriously, this thing is like a time capsule from 1990)
1-owner, with ALL service records (including fuel log from fillup #1)

The truck was used to tow a travel trailer, so it has an external oil cooler, tow hitch and trailer brake. It also has a 3-piece hard tonneau cover.

What it needs:
AC service
Rear tires
Front end alignment (maybe)
I will change the oil and detail it before sale.

So here's the tough part. The owner wants to get at least $6500 for it. I realize that is on the very high end for this truck, but it is also the cleanest, lowest mileage truck of it's type on the market, so it should be priced on the high end.

Should I spend $500-$1000 to get it back into flawless condition, or should I try to sell it as-is, asking $6500 for it? I welcome any and all advice on the subject.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regardless of condition, people aren't going to want to pay more than nada or kbb valuation and even then it's only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

Museum quality with a first off the line serial number on the other hand...

Old 06-24-2017, 02:05 PM
crunky944
New User
Originally Posted by Bad Bad Leroy Brown
Regardless of condition, people aren't going to want to pay more than nada or kbb valuation and even then it's only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it.

Museum quality with a first off the line serial number on the other hand...
Yep. It is a great looking truck, but I personally would never pay $6500 for a bricknose F250. If I were looking for a tow vehicle, I think there are lots of other possibilities in that price range.

If it were me, I wouldn't put any money into it. A/C you can do yourself on the cheap, gauges and vac pump can be rented for free. If really tight on budget and you need to evac the system, look at r152a conversions. A/C is the only thing I would consider putting money into, since it can be a huge selling point this time of year.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:58 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,112 Likes on 2,171 Posts
that truck here in new jersey is $1500- $2000 at most

Old 06-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
If you're a "car guy" print out a Kelly Blue Book report of what that F-250 in excellent condition would bring, which I would guess is less than $2000 at best.

Clean & detail the hell out of it, fix the AC if reasonable. If alignment can be done with out parts (doubtful) do it.

If you can get 3000, "as is", you've done a days work & call it a good job.

Otherwise plan on a long period of aggravation, hard feelings & possible loss of friendship in the end, cause these just aren't collector/high value retention vehicles regardless of condition.

Nobody will give you/them $6500 unless you happen upon a individual who has way more money than sense. (yes they do exist)

Then go buy some lottery tickets.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:34 AM
Rich G
Junior User
I don't think it's worth 6500.. it's a beautiful truck but 6500 is stretching it.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I think I would go a little higher than Tom. Probably about the same price as David. But with internet ads being free, and if you have the ability to negotiate on it, starting at a 6500$ price is fine. You'll find low ballers and scams, but you might find someone who is willing to give you a fair price for it.

I sold a car for my father a few years ago. Priced it where he wanted it, and everyone that made an offer, I told them I'd get back to them, and presented it to my father. After a couple of months, he took the offer. Still got good money for it I think, nothing crazy. it doesn't cost anything to post an ad on Craigslist or offerup or the other sites now, and lower the price in a month.

As for putting money in it? No, I wouldn't put a lot in it, just list the issues, if someone wants an issue fixed, they will tell you, and you can negotiate it into the price. I also have no problem asking for a deposit if someone comes to see it, and wants to 'think about it'

Old 06-26-2017, 12:58 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 356 Likes on 286 Posts
Put it on eBay, not local, so you get a wider audience. There are buyers out there looking for vehicles like this one and they are hard to find in that condition. If it was 4x4 I would say you could get $6500 easily.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
It needs a good detail with clay and polish and wax. Why don't you go ahead and do that since you probably will anyway and the see what you have. Post some pics of the finished product. What state are you in and how about rust? Check your local Craigs list ad and large surrounding cities and see what they are going for. 5-6,500 is not unreasonable in Houston. 5 would go pretty quick here like it is IMO. Your market has everything to do with price. That is why Ebay is also a good choice.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Fix the ac & sell it. Might get 2500 around here, nice looking but a real common 2wd truck.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM
NotEnoughTrucks2014
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
There is another thread going on about a 97 F350 with an asking price just short of $14K. I don't see a problem with these type of prices if the truck is what is represented and you have a need for exactly that vehicle. New truck prices are stratospheric these days and the earlier trucks can still put in a good day's work.

The bad news is, I'm not buying, so I can flap my lips all day, it means nothing. Your truck will do an excellent job of what it was designed to do. Pulling a camper? I could not ask for a better truck, but the market is limited. How long can you wait for the right buyer?

As for repairs, I'll repeat the best advice you got so far. List what you know and negotiate into the price.

Good luck!

Old 06-26-2017, 03:09 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Well, for the purpose of this thread, the job is selling for a wholly unrealistic price as seen by 95% of the "OBS" buying market. (massive that it is... )

And the grief he's willing to put up with to when he confronts the 95% chance rate he'll never meet $6500 expectations.

If he does, woo-hoo... congratulations.

Time for them lottery tickets.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:34 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How many crazy people and scammers are you willing to waste your time with? How many telemarketers and scammers do you want to give your phone number to?

At that price you might need to put in on that TV auction.

It is a relatively small group of people who can drive a vehicle that old as a daily driver. Of that small group very few are looking to spend that much money.

All of that having been said there is someone, somewhere, someday, who will pay that price.

^^Like the guy said, check the price guide. If you read the guide there is an adjustment for low mileage. Condition doesn't mean "for that year". Somewhere there is a truck just like that one that looks like it did on the showroom floor.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:58 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
P.T. Barnum said it best. "There is a sucker born every minute"

Old 06-26-2017, 04:36 PM
Gman250HD
Freshman User
I would get it in great condition and list on ebay with a 6500 reserve. As mentioned before you'll reach a national audience and also put 500 1000 due at end of auction and your other requirements. Won't cost much to "go fishin" and you might be surprised !

Quick Reply: What should I do with this F-250?