1969 f350 dually pickup project - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1969 f350 dually pickup project

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:22 PM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
1969 f350 dually pickup project

Just bought this a couple of days ago.

1969 f350 2wd originally a dump

360 fe, 4 speed, 80k, Long tubes - flow master h pipe & 40s, holly 500, mild cam (from what I'm told)

moddified camper 8' bed

leafs removed from rear + lowering shackles and f100 spring up front

..... Plans are to do some body work to get it looking decent (already have front fenders on order), repair inner fenders where hood hinges, paint original color, get it a little lower, and maybe pull the motor and trans down the road and rebuild or swap.

I do have a few questions...

1. What are the major differences from the 350 and 250 not so much appearance differences but suspension and chassis wise is it just different springs and rear end?

2. What are must dos to this motor (not so much for performance as dependability) ... The truck will be a cruiser maybe throw a bike in the back once in a while, i do have a heavy foot but know better than to run this low lugging motor much past 4 grand.

3. front has some negative camber from the shorter springs will drop beams correct this if installed with the current springs or will i need to cut a pie out of drop beams to achieve this (yes I want to go a little lower and no i don't want to put a front clip on this year).

4. I can't find a matching right side mirror for this anywhere and i know they are hard to find but does anyone have one they would sell? I also need rear shock mounts if anyone knows where I can find those.

Nick
Attached Images
    
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 PM
NumberDummy's Avatar
NumberDummy NumberDummy is offline
Ford Parts Specialist
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 74,624
NumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputationNumberDummy has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 dually View Post
Just bought this a couple of days ago.

1969 F350 2WD originally a dump.
All 1953/78 F350's are 2WD, F350's weren't available w/factory installed 4WD until 1979.

I can't find a matching right side mirror for this anywhere and i know they are hard to find but does anyone have one they would sell?
Do you want the complete mirror that comes w/the head, or just the mirror head (also available separately)?

These Western Junior mirrors were available either painted or stainless steel. The head should be approx. 6 1/2" x 9 1/2."

There are 21 painted mirror heads available NOS, 1 is located at Miller Obsolete Parts in Binghamton NY (607-722-5371).

Last edited by NumberDummy; 06-20-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-20-2017, 06:15 PM
1985 Bronco's Avatar
1985 Bronco 1985 Bronco is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 945
1985 Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is that a chevy fender molded into the bed? Blasphemy!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2017, 06:09 AM
f100today's Avatar
f100today f100today is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 1,638
f100today has a good reputation on FTE.f100today has a good reputation on FTE.
I want this!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Rasputin53's Avatar
Rasputin53 Rasputin53 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Garner NC
Posts: 842
Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rasputin53 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome to the 69 F350 brotherhood! You have the mirrors that have the single back mount instead of the top/bottom mount. I have this set on my dump truck and am going with the chrome Western Jr's that have the top/bottom mount. My originals are not in the best of shape. I can snap a pic and send to you. Awesome project BTW. And do you know what headers you have?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:13 AM
TeachNlive4ever's Avatar
TeachNlive4ever TeachNlive4ever is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Garland, Tx
Posts: 2,317
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
I like it. Must do to the engine for me would be a Pertronix igniter ignition and a flame thrower coil. After that, I'd drive the $# it out of it
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:05 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f100today View Post
I want this!
Everything is for sale...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:11 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985 Bronco View Post
Is that a chevy fender molded into the bed? Blasphemy!
Yea I know not for the purist, but I'm not one... I didn't mold them in the guy I bought it from did and said they were the only fenders that had a body line similar. I for one like the look... maybe I'll find a 12v cummins to put in to really **** people off
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:17 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin53 View Post
Welcome to the 69 F350 brotherhood! You have the mirrors that have the single back mount instead of the top/bottom mount. I have this set on my dump truck and am going with the chrome Western Jr's that have the top/bottom mount. My originals are not in the best of shape. I can snap a pic and send to you. Awesome project BTW. And do you know what headers you have?
The right side mirror had the top post cut off. I was told it was done so the holes in the top of the door could be used for a pipe rack which doesn't make since cause you wouldnt be able to open the door so i think maybe it was for a chain to hold the pipe down or a tie down point or something?

I like how the mirrors look on the thing and am really just looking for the right side bars or just the one that has been cut, if I can't find one I'll just make a top piece for the one I have and weld it on.

Not sure I feel like the guy said hooker LT but that could have been a bronco I looked at?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-21-2017, 08:25 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever View Post
I like it. Must do to the engine for me would be a Pertronix igniter ignition and a flame thrower coil. After that, I'd drive the $# it out of it
I agree and did a quick search but couldn't find the part numbers or an install thread... I know its an easy job and something I should be able to handle but ya know can't hurt to read up on it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:02 AM
TeachNlive4ever's Avatar
TeachNlive4ever TeachNlive4ever is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Garland, Tx
Posts: 2,317
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
I can't remember if it's part # 1208 or 1280
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:07 AM
TeachNlive4ever's Avatar
TeachNlive4ever TeachNlive4ever is online now
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Garland, Tx
Posts: 2,317
TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.TeachNlive4ever has a very good reputation on FTE.
Distructions are in the box too. 351Clevland has some tricks and tips on the matter as well.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
EDIT: Figure out it is the 1281... just wondering which coil to go with I'm thinking the 40,000 volt one should be plenty? Also I will run new plug wires but should I run different plugs?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:21 AM
94windsor 94windsor is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
94windsor is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 dually View Post
Just bought this a couple of days ago.

1969 f350 2wd originally a dump

360 fe, 4 speed, 80k, Long tubes - flow master h pipe & 40s, holly 500, mild cam (from what I'm told)

moddified camper 8' bed

leafs removed from rear + lowering shackles and f100 spring up front

..... Plans are to do some body work to get it looking decent (already have front fenders on order), repair inner fenders where hood hinges, paint original color, get it a little lower, and maybe pull the motor and trans down the road and rebuild or swap.

I do have a few questions...

1. What are the major differences from the 350 and 250 not so much appearance differences but suspension and chassis wise is it just different springs and rear end?

2. What are must dos to this motor (not so much for performance as dependability) ... The truck will be a cruiser maybe throw a bike in the back once in a while, i do have a heavy foot but know better than to run this low lugging motor much past 4 grand.

3. front has some negative camber from the shorter springs will drop beams correct this if installed with the current springs or will i need to cut a pie out of drop beams to achieve this (yes I want to go a little lower and no i don't want to put a front clip on this year).

4. I can't find a matching right side mirror for this anywhere and i know they are hard to find but does anyone have one they would sell? I also need rear shock mounts if anyone knows where I can find those.

Nick

Any idea how many leaves were removed? I have a 71 F-350 I want to lower. drop beams in the front and I want to get the rear down 4" to match. Planned on removing springs to help the ride too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
69 dually 69 dually is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 44
69 dually is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94windsor View Post
Any idea how many leaves were removed? I have a 71 F-350 I want to lower. drop beams in the front and I want to get the rear down 4" to match. Planned on removing springs to help the ride too.
There are 5 leaves left I would assume the top 5 also I believe he change out the shackles but not sure with what.....

That reminds me where can I get shock mounts for the rear mine are missing and I need shocks before the bouncing make me throw up.
Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V/Modified B codes, step-by-step robert_l_ross Excursion - King of SUVs 267 11-06-2017 07:06 PM
New Guy With something different 69 dually New Member Introductions 4 06-25-2017 02:47 AM
Stoooopid Dually Questions BruteFord 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 74 08-21-2016 10:55 PM
Help me with F250 coil springs drop axle... and my airbagit saga please Notmeofficer 1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 6 04-11-2016 10:11 PM
Lowering a 64 Shadowrider123 1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 5 03-30-2016 09:35 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.