6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Reduced Engine Power with CEL

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reduced Engine Power with CEL

So I read a couple threads that were similar to my problem, but couldn't find them after I registered for this forum so I apologize for starting a new thread.

I just bought a 2017 Super Duty F350 DRW. This was more truck than I wanted but, I planned on pulling a 42' 5th wheel with a GVWR of 18K. I didn't want to put my family into jeopardy so I went with the bigger truck. I bought the truck, and drove to Iowa (from Michigan) and purchased our new 5th wheel.

Drove it nearly all the way home over the next 3 days and 10 miles from home I get the warning that I have "Reduced Engine Power" and CEL came on. I noticed significant decreased power in the truck. I was able to make it home, but I won't be able to make it to my local dealer until tomorrow. The odd part is, as I was scrolling through the Encyclopedia Britannica of information available in the on board system, I found that my DEF level is at about 1/2. I haven't even hit 2,000 miles on the truck yet. It was my understanding this was supposed to last for around 8,000 miles (but perhaps I misunderstood).

The last fuel I put in did say it contained a certain percentage of bio-diesel, but I can't remember what that percentage was. I must say I'm quite disheartened at this, I'm hoping it's something trivial as I am moving from Michigan to Washington two weeks from today and I need to pull the 5th wheel.

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Old 06-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Braggs
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obvious response

"I have a CEL. What should I do?!?"
Get a code reader and read the codes on the computer. Tell us the codes along with year, make, model, and other drivetrain options and we might be able to offer some suggestions to fix it. Could be anything, really, from a failed sensor, something unplugged, or the hot side intercooler tube coming off. Really though, gimme all your codes.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Roger that... I'll have to look into a code reader, unfortunately I don't have one at the moment.

I'm hoping to get the truck into the dealer tomorrow. The good news (I hope) is that I don't have anything leaking or spewing. Everything still looks dry and clean under the hood and under the truck.

I just wanted to make sure to post my issue on here because it seems as though this site is a great catalog of issues for others.

I'll be sure to update when I learn anything from my local Ford dealer.

-Chris

Old 06-19-2017, 10:52 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Makes me wonder if the DEF is actually too low. Some on here, including myself, have gotten trucks with very little DEF in them. I'm betting on some sort of sensor though.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:37 AM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
I am truly hoping it is something very simple. The DEF level said it was ok, I just thought it was odd that it was already at 1/2 given I haven't even put 2,000 miles on the truck.

Just dropped it off and they are going to try to work me in, but explained that I'm in stand-by. With only one certified diesel mechanic here, getting work done can be tough.

Old 06-20-2017, 10:23 AM
polarlys
Senior User
It sounds to me as if you don't know if the DEF was full when you started. When I got my '15 F-350 the dealer did NOT fill it on delivery. Fill it youself for the next go around then you will know where you started. IF they did fill it at delivery it seems to be a bit much on the consumption but you tow much heavier than I do so what do I know.

Good luck with your purchase. It's a towing monster.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:27 AM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Good point!! I have no clue if the DEF was full when I bought the truck. Up until this error, things were great.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,685 Likes on 2,746 Posts
Chris, I have about 2400 miles on my F-350 and my DEF level is slightly below 1/2. About half those miles are towing in the mountains. I'm planning to pick up a box of DEF and add it soon so I don't run into any issues with it ever being "low".

Old 06-20-2017, 01:33 PM
polarlys
Senior User
Somewhere ( probably here in this forum) I seem to recall seeing the recommendation to let it run down to where the level warning indicator activates. On my '15 upon checking the dash computer it only tells me "DEF level OK" or "DEF level below half". Beyond that I will get a 500 mile warning then later get a 200 mi warning. From then on it will count down in increments of 10 miles. The point of waiting was to make sure the level warning sensors are working. I've been following that guideline and it has been working well for me and my truck. I have been monitoring my DEF usage since I filled it last. At this moment I have 3551 miles and the dash says below half. No 500 mile warning yet. The first 400 miles of that was towing the remainder was not.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:35 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 904 Likes on 327 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Whitmarsh
Good point!! I have no clue if the DEF was full when I bought the truck. Up until this error, things were great.

I doubt your problem is low DEF, as once you get below 500 miles to E, it bugs you a lot. Sounds like a sensor of some sort, possibly in the DEF system.

Under 1/2 in 2000 miles towing heavy is not unreasonable. I figure I'm getting about 1000 miles per gallon with normal (non-towing) use.

Hopefully your dealer will get you in soon, at least to diagnose the CEL to know what they are looking at.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:01 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
I'll second what Dave said above. High DEF usage is normal with heavy towing. Add to that not knowing if it was full from the dealer and it doesn't seem odd to me at all. A NOx sensor, exhaust temp sensor, EGR sensor, etc, can cause limp mode, (besides low DEF) Limp due to no DEF is indicated as such on the dash when it happens - even if it isn't empty, but the tank sensors think it is.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:41 AM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Thanks for all the good points. I drove by the dealership to stalk my truck on my way home from work yesterday, and I saw them pulling my truck into the service center. Hopefully I get a call early today and learn something new; or better yet, learn that my truck is ready!!

Old 06-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Just talked with the dealership... they pulled an error code last night in hopes that it was something simple. Unfortunately, that was not the case. While the individual I talked to did not know what the code was, the diesel mechanic told him it was something "deep" in the engine and he would try to find the time to dig into it before the end of the week.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:13 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,685 Likes on 2,746 Posts
At least they found SOMETHING and didn't come back with "Cannot duplicate".

Old 06-23-2017, 08:40 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
I contacted the dealership this afternoon and was told they had "good news". Silly me, I thought my truck was ready. No, they just were finally able to tell me what the problem is/was. According to the diesel mechanic, whom I've never talked to, the issue I had was caused by the exhaust back pressure sensor. Apparently exhaust pressure was not able to be regulated for the purposes of building up HP and that caused the "Reduced Engine Power" indicator.

The guy I spoke with, who is really nice and wants to be helpful, said they ordered the part and it would be here Monday. When I said, oh, so my truck will be done on Monday, he replied... "well, I don't know if we'll have it fixed Monday, because we're still trying to squeeze you in". They've had my truck for 4 days! Monday will be day 7. I'm literally paying for a truck to just have it sit on the lot at a dealership.

Sorry, I know this forum isn't for ranting about disappointments with service, but I'm a little overwhelmed and tired of being without my truck.

I'll let y'all know if this sensor does in fact fix the problem.

Chris

Quick Reply: Reduced Engine Power with CEL