6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Reduced Engine Power with CEL

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 11:12 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Whitmarsh
I contacted the dealership this afternoon and was told they had "good news". Silly me, I thought my truck was ready. No, they just were finally able to tell me what the problem is/was. According to the diesel mechanic, whom I've never talked to, the issue I had was caused by the exhaust back pressure sensor. Apparently exhaust pressure was not able to be regulated for the purposes of building up HP and that caused the "Reduced Engine Power" indicator.

The guy I spoke with, who is really nice and wants to be helpful, said they ordered the part and it would be here Monday. When I said, oh, so my truck will be done on Monday, he replied... "well, I don't know if we'll have it fixed Monday, because we're still trying to squeeze you in". They've had my truck for 4 days! Monday will be day 7. I'm literally paying for a truck to just have it sit on the lot at a dealership.

Sorry, I know this forum isn't for ranting about disappointments with service, but I'm a little overwhelmed and tired of being without my truck.

I'll let y'all know if this sensor does in fact fix the problem.

Chris
Chris what ever happened with your situation? I am dealing with something similar and looking for a definitive fix.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:47 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The original dealership I took my truck to said it was a bad sensor that had to do with the diesel exhaust. I then left for my cross country move, pulling my 5th wheel and had the same error and symptoms in the middle of South Dakota. I pulled off where I saw a Ford billboard and searched for the dealership. Finding the dealership made my heart sink! When I trying to locate a service department, I had to decide which door looked less barricaded. Never judge a book by its cover though, right. Two good ole boys listened to what I had to say and came out and looked at my truck. They loooked over the paperwork from the previous dealership and eloquently called the mechanics there idiots. They performed a software update and that solved the problem. I have not had a problem since.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:11 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks! Comforting. I just wish I knew if I really had the version already installed or not. I'm guessing I did not.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Chris, you never did say what the CEL code was. Was it a P259F perhaps?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:51 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
They didn’t tell me what the code was that they received. Just that it led them to a bad sensor. I believe the code accurately referred to the sensor; however the sensor actually wasn’t bad. The two guys who did the update said it was a very large update that included parameters for exhaust and compression. So because the parameters weren’t up to date, the system thought the sensor was bad when it wasn’t.

Steveg_nh if you go to the dealership, you should be able to ask them if your software is up to date. The guys who fixed mine said it’s pretty obvious when an update is. Ended.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:24 PM
steveg_nh
Senior User
I did ask. The guy told me I was up to date but he'd reflash it anyway. Then he went on to say he updated all the other modules though. Isn't it one big flash/upgrade? I'm thinking I wasn't up to date.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:43 PM
Chris Whitmarsh
New User
Mine was a HUGE upgrade! But the error cleared immediately and has not occurred again!

Old 01-05-2018, 08:34 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. My CEL was already cleared (on its own) when I got there. The whole upgrade took him about 30 minutes though. I was in the truck with him as he did it.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:02 AM
Joe/GA
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steveg_nh
I did ask. The guy told me I was up to date but he'd reflash it anyway. Then he went on to say he updated all the other modules though. Isn't it one big flash/upgrade? I'm thinking I wasn't up to date.
I'd have to go out and fire up my truck to look at Forscan and see how many modules there are, but I'm thinking about 6. Maybe somebody else has that info available. Anyway, there is one for the engine, one for the transmission, one for air conditioning, etc. It's a bunch of mini computers!

Old 01-06-2018, 07:54 AM
steveg_nh
Senior User
Thanks. Sounds about right, as it seemed like he went through the same process 5 or 6 times!