6.0 randomly shuts off - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 randomly shuts off

Old 06-19-2017, 05:48 AM
Senior User

ballbandit is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0 randomly shuts off

04 with 170k miles. truck runs fine. every now and then truck shuts off while driving. turn it off the it restarts everytime. only code that comes up is number 6 injector. the contribution test injector is firing right. ficm voltage is 47.5. has new ipr and hpop also 6k miles ago. could it be number 6 shorts out or something crazy killing truck? or maybe a crank sensor. im kinda stumped right now
Old 06-19-2017, 05:52 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
What are you reading codes with?

Is your 04 an early or late 04?

Have you looked for wiring harness chafing? Especially on the FICM harness to the injectors?

Wire chafing locations due to having an injector code:
Upper left (driver's side) valve cover or valve cover stud near the FICM
Left front valve cover hold down bolts/studs

Also, other common locations:
Exhaust Back Pressure (EBP) sensor bracket at thermostat housing
Idler pulley under the thermostat (wiring routed around the power steering pump)
Right valve cover at glow plug control module (GPCM)
CKP wiring near A/C compressor and belt tensioner
Front left of intake manifold near breather tube and air inlet duct
Inspect terminals for "backed-out" or bent pins (FICM, sensors, etc)
Accelerator Pedal pivot point (under dash)
PCM harness at battery box
12A581 harness circuit 1044 (WH/YE) near connector C1443 (left rear corner of engine compartment)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 AM
Senior User

its a late 04 icp on valve cover. i havent checked wiring yet. and using a snap on solus pro scanner
Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
Chances are it is injector harness wiring. The Solus should pick up the codes well enough.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:18 AM
Senior User

i will check the harness. owner had head studs and cooler fixed. so the shop may have wires pinched somewhere. ill check it out. thanks for input will let you know if i find anything
Old 06-19-2017, 04:11 PM
FTE Addict

diesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to beholddiesel_dan is a splendid one to behold
Do you have adjustable pedals? Had a friend with an '06 and that was what caused his to die for no reason. Dealer repaired it under warranty, and I would expect it to capture a code (loss of throttle signals, etc.). Mark likely has you pointed in the right direction, just thought I'd mention this one...
Scott
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
Do you have adjustable pedals? Had a friend with an '06 and that was what caused his to die for no reason. Dealer repaired it under warranty, and I would expect it to capture a code (loss of throttle signals, etc.). Mark likely has you pointed in the right direction, just thought I'd mention this one...
Scott
i would have to look not sure. its friends truck. ill look though.
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbandit View Post
i would have to look not sure. its friends truck. ill look though.
no adjustable pedals. ordered new injector harness. plugs on ficm end were cracked. leta hope for the best