Sponsored by: DP Tuner

DIY FUEL LIFT PUMP

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:16 AM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY FUEL LIFT PUMP

I use to have a diy lift pump on my truck and took it off when diagnosing an issue I was having. It was not part of the problem. I am getting ready to reinstall the lift pump setup but going to make a couple changes and need advise. My previous setup was from the tank; Baldwin Fuel Water Separator, a Summit 150gph 9-10psi pump, and a Bosch oem pump.
The Summit pump was noisy so I am looking for a similar 150gph 10-14psi pump that is quiet??
Also should fuel/water separator come before or after pump?? I figure I need some sort of filter before pump??

Old 06-18-2017, 03:14 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Most common setup is Hutch/Harpoon mods in the tank, new diesel rated hose from tank to a strainer/separator/filter on the frame rail, then same hose to the OE pump. And that's it, no other pumps needed. Lots of good threads on these issues, search on Hutch Harpoon, pre pump filter (try this LINK) 30R7 fuel hose, etc.

The prepump filter just needs to protect the pump; the OE fuel bowl does a great job filtering the fuel and separating water. But if you get a lot of water in the fuel where you live a the Racor PS120-02 is BA. I put on a lame Fram G3, but the Racor I have on the bench will go on when the Fram gets dirty.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:10 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I removed the "lift pump" when I modified my entire fuel system to larger lines. It wasn't really necessary and only added another failure point. I kept a water separator before the in frame pump, but ran 3/8'' hose in place of the 5/16'' steel line from the tank forward.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:31 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mueckster
...I removed the "lift pump" when I modified my entire fuel system...
Your truck runs without the frame mounted fuel pump?

Old 06-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Originally Posted by mueckster
I removed the "lift pump" when I modified my entire fuel system to larger lines. It wasn't really necessary and only added another failure point. I kept a water separator before the in frame pump, but ran 3/8'' hose in place of the 5/16'' steel line from the tank forward.
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Most common setup is Hutch/Harpoon mods in the tank, new diesel rated hose from tank to a strainer/separator/filter on the frame rail, then same hose to the OE pump. And that's it, no other pumps needed. Lots of good threads on these issues, search on Hutch Harpoon, pre pump filter (try this LINK) 30R7 fuel hose, etc.

The prepump filter just needs to protect the pump; the OE fuel bowl does a great job filtering the fuel and separating water. But if you get a lot of water in the fuel where you live a the Racor PS120-02 is BA. I put on a lame Fram G3, but the Racor I have on the bench will go on when the Fram gets dirty.
I appreciate the setup information. But I liked the lift pump and am going to do it. I did Hutch and Harpoon mod several years back and did my first lift pump at that time. Just want to do a little better this time, especially quieter.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:38 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by dn29626
Your truck runs without the frame mounted fuel pump?
Please read my post more closely. I never removed the stock location frame mounted pump. I had the additional low pressure pump that some install before it. I found no need for it after the upgrades; which included a Walbro GSL392 replacement in the stock location.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:46 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Bobbys Big Red Rig
I appreciate the setup information. But I liked the lift pump and am going to do it. I did Hutch and Harpoon mod several years back and did my first lift pump at that time. Just want to do a little better this time, especially quieter.
That's one of the things I disliked about having the additional pump. Installing larger supply side plumbing from the tank allows for fuel to flow more freely to the in frame pump. This makes things easy for the pump to draw the fuel and creates a better siphoning action as it drops down from the top of the tank. Others who have installed the larger supply line have noticed a lower fuel pressure drop under high demands with a stock fuel pump, as well.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
I ran a Carter lift pump for years between the tank and the OEM pump along with the Baldwin pre-pump filter. I now run the PS120 strainer between the tank and the pump with NO lift pump and am much happier. Any lift pump you get will be noisier than your stock pump and will eventually fali BEFORE your stocker does and when it does, it will drive your stock pump to an earlier death.

As for pre-pump filtration... your stock pump already has a strainer inside it along the lines of something like 68-72 mesh. All you need is something just a little tighter than that (and the PS120 is an outstanding option)... anything tighter will NOT provide any help for your system at all except for making ti harder for the pumps to pull the fuel through the filter element.

If you feel better with a lift pump, by all means, do it. However, it's really a waste of money and effort since it is not needed and really provides no real benefit. Simply yourself and your setup with an effective strainer and the stock pump alone.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 787 Likes on 576 Posts
Yet another option is putting a pump inside the fuel tank a la Kwikkordead. He has an install thread somewhere. Inside mount is common practice for manufacturers nowadays since the fuel bath keeps the pump cool, helping it last longer. Plus the location isolates the noise. Like most things, if it didn't work the makers would stop doing it asap. I prefer to have all the parts out there where I can see them. A dead pump buried inside the tank is still a Problem, even if it is less likely to happen.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM
UcaN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you absolutely want to use a lift pump( and quiet).... why no just install another Bosch stock pump way back on the frame rail??

Will it hurt anything to use another stock pump rather than a noisy aftermarket low pressure one. ?????

Old 06-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Originally Posted by UcaN
If you absolutely want to use a lift pump( and quiet).... why no just install another Bosch stock pump way back on the frame rail??

Will it hurt anything to use another stock pump rather than a noisy aftermarket low pressure one. ?????
I have actually wondered the same thing. Thought it might be a psi issue or I would have heard of someone doing that.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:42 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Yet another option is putting a pump inside the fuel tank a la Kwikkordead. He has an install thread somewhere. Inside mount is common practice for manufacturers nowadays since the fuel bath keeps the pump cool, helping it last longer. Plus the location isolates the noise. Like most things, if it didn't work the makers would stop doing it asap. I prefer to have all the parts out there where I can see them. A dead pump buried inside the tank is still a Problem, even if it is less likely to happen.
I'm getting too old to fight the fuel tank again. Once was enough

Old 06-20-2017, 11:02 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 203 Likes on 108 Posts
Two stock pumps in series is not necessary, not helpful, and significantly increases the pressure in the line feeding the fuel pressure regulator which may alter it's performance and create some leak potentials! The stock pump puts out something like 75-80 psig, and if you start FEEDING that pump with that kind of pressure, the discharge pressure going to your engine will double. A pump is just a "speed increaser", and when you put two in series, your second pump's discharge pressure is the SUM of the discharge pressure from EACH pump. Personally, I would never never do that unless needed >150 psig feeding my fuel system.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:52 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Originally Posted by F250_
Two stock pumps in series is not necessary, not helpful, and significantly increases the pressure in the line feeding the fuel pressure regulator which may alter it's performance and create some leak potentials! The stock pump puts out something like 75-80 psig, and if you start FEEDING that pump with that kind of pressure, the discharge pressure going to your engine will double. A pump is just a "speed increaser", and when you put two in series, your second pump's discharge pressure is the SUM of the discharge pressure from EACH pump. Personally, I would never never do that unless needed >150 psig feeding my fuel system.
Thank you for the education. I thought it would be a psi issue but wasn't sure and definitely didn't know how much.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Bobbys Big Red Rig
Senior User

Okay, I am looking for a quiet pump, 100gph-150gph, 7-14psi