Timing the yblock - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Timing the yblock

Old 06-17-2017, 08:17 PM
Senior User

newguy399 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timing the yblock

Ok guys so a couple months ago I put new wires in the truck and think that I messed up..the truck has a 292 and hasn't been started for a couple years. I think I crossed some wires, before I try and crank it over how do I check the timing of find top dead center..

thanks dan
Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Remove #1 spark plug and roll engine over with a breaker bar on the damper bolt. With your thumb over the hole you'll feel air pushing when that piston is on the compression stroke. Then line up the pointer with the "0" mark on the damper. That "should" be TDC. Problem is it's very common for the outer inertia weight ring to slip on the damper, and bugger the timing marks. Be sure to check for this.

When at TDC #1 piston, the distributor rotor should be pointing at the #1 terminal on the distributor cap. If it isn't, then the distributor was "stabbed" wrong at some point, another common problem. So long as the plug wires are installed in order it doesn't really matter but it's confusing. The rotor turns counterclockwise. The firing order should continue on 1-5-4-8-6-3-7-2
Old 06-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I can't help ya much but I'm sure someone will chime in. If not there is a forum dedicated just for Y blocks. You could give that a try! Good Luck.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum56/
Old 06-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Post Fiend

Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
The Y-Block isn't really any different than anything else. He can ask questions wherever he wants but the answers will still be exactly the same.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Post Fiend

Any progress?
Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 PM
Senior User

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Z...w?usp=drivesdkSorry I been mia...life got in the way....so I got it close to being timed by feeling for the piston with my finger in spark plug hole. Put new plugs and wires and tried to fire or up ran for 10 sec with help from gas bottle. Next is to figure fuel problem out..
here is a video of it firring it up..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4ZyiHe4RXVAMHFWV3VaYmVldDA/view?usp=drivesdk
Old 06-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Secret Agent

df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.df85732 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Sounds like it just needs more fuel. Your "little helper" is very encouraging Here is the set up I used when I started mine for the first time. You gotta love the sound of a "Y" block. Be persistent, I think your almost there Dave

Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Post Fiend

"Awesome, Dad!" LOL

Take a picture of the distributor, it would be interesting to see how it is oriented. Tough to say from here, but it may be stabbed wrong. So long as you're willing to squirt fuel down the carb, it should run, even if there is a carb issue.

Could try advancing the distributor (clockwise) just slightly, a little bit at a time, and try again. It doesn't take much, just a smidge (the width of a pencil line) equals about 2.

Leave the hold-down bolt just loose enough you can adjust the distributor back and forth, when it fires you can try advancing it some more till a smooth idle. Keep in mind it's usually a safe bet the damper inertia weight has slipped and the timing marks aren't accurate. A vacuum gauge is useful for finding the best ignition timing in that case. Defective damper if found, should be replaced or rebuilt. Sounds good though, you are close! Thanks for update.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:45 PM
Senior User

Thanks that is my 5 year old daughter helping me..
yes I think almost there. now have to figure carb linkage and how to prime fuel pump,
Old 06-24-2017, 07:51 PM
Post Fiend

Shouldn't need to prime fuel pump? Make sure all the rubber hose has been replaced. Backflushing the hard line into the tank with shop air isn't a bad plan. If it's real old, probably best to replace it, if you can get a good one.
Old 06-25-2017, 02:25 PM
postin' fool

ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
It sounds to me like the timing is still a little retarded. If the carb is full of gas, (can be filled thru the bowl vent) it should run for at least a minute.