Changing lower radiator hose - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changing lower radiator hose

Old 06-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Elder User

Macrosill is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Changing lower radiator hose

Any tricks on draining as little fluid as possible? I don't have a 7 gallon catch can.

I am considering buying a new catch bin and draining a few gallons at a time. As the catch bin fills I will pour it into gallon jugs.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM
Postmaster

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
Pulling the bottom hose means you're leaving only what is in the bottom of the block, so about 3.5 g.

Drain from radiator petcock, use an 8mm Allen to turn, not the hex. Add a hose to the nipple if you don't want a lot of splash.

Loosen hose at radiator, expect about a quart of coolant, will get more as you move it.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:48 PM
Elder User

I think I am going to go to the supermarket and buy 7 or 8 gallons of distilled water. Dump the water and use the jugs to drain the coolant into. Then pour the coolant back in and recycle the jugs.

Thanks for the info Jack.

Now I am thinking I should switch to the Mishimoto t-stat
Old 06-15-2017, 09:42 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Home Depot or Lowes 5 gallon buckets are very handy for this job.
Then one or two paint strainers to catch any junk that falls into the
bucket. That top hose will slowly drain past the T-stat.

One thing to keep in mind after a few heat cycles you will want to
go around and retighten any worm clamps as the hose takes a set.

I had a tiny leak on the lower hose at the radiator.

This thing is your friend in the tight space where the lower hose
goes back into the engine.

They are well worth the price in the blood and skin they save.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:19 AM
Postmaster

TooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to beholdTooManyToys. is a splendid one to behold
Unfortunately the only way to get more coolant out of the motor is to pull the block plugs, so it's going to be a lot of fluid.

I really prefer the storage containers to cover the largest areas, but they are a pita when transferring the fluids into more easy handable containers.

I agree Sean, I really like that tool too. I would have gone insane doing the cooling system in the LS without it.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Elder User

I installed block drains when I did the oil cooler so If I need to drain the block I can just attach a tube and drain.

My plan as of now it to use 1 gallon jugs and drain the radiator that way. Once that is done I will use a brand new catch pan and drain the lower hose into that. Then swap the hose and put it all back in. I am not worried about losing a small amount of coolant, as I have some here but not enough for a complete refill. No one local stocks it and I have to order it at a NAPA that is about 25 miles away.

Any suggestions on what I can put on the new hose to protect it from the steering box? I am thinking cut a piece of the old hose and clamp it in place.

Thanks for the suggestion Sean, I will get one of those.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM
Postmaster

Ford had put braided nylon over some, but it did nothing. Proper clocking of the hose often is the best protection, sometimes I've seen a harder polypropylene shield used, but your suggestion will also work well.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Post Fiend

69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.69cj has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
Ford had put braided nylon over some, but it did nothing. Proper clocking of the hose often is the best protection, sometimes I've seen a harder polypropylene shield used, but your suggestion will also work well.
Besides clocking, I've also cut a section of the old hose and put it over the new one where abrasion may occur.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:28 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
I installed block drains when I did the oil cooler so If I need to drain the block I can just attach a tube and drain.

My plan as of now it to use 1 gallon jugs and drain the radiator that way. Once that is done I will use a brand new catch pan and drain the lower hose into that. Then swap the hose and put it all back in. I am not worried about losing a small amount of coolant, as I have some here but not enough for a complete refill. No one local stocks it and I have to order it at a NAPA that is about 25 miles away.

Any suggestions on what I can put on the new hose to protect it from the steering box? I am thinking cut a piece of the old hose and clamp it in place.

Thanks for the suggestion Sean, I will get one of those.
You could save the drive if you look on Amazon and see if someone
has the coolant you use. Let UPS do the driving for you.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:04 PM
Posting Guru

DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.DarkStarMedia has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Home Depot or Lowes 5 gallon buckets are very handy for this job.
Then one or two paint strainers to catch any junk that falls into the
bucket. That top hose will slowly drain past the T-stat.

One thing to keep in mind after a few heat cycles you will want to
go around and retighten any worm clamps as the hose takes a set.

I had a tiny leak on the lower hose at the radiator.

This thing is your friend in the tight space where the lower hose
goes back into the engine.

They are well worth the price in the blood and skin they save.
That looks like a better design than most... care to share a link or a brand name?
Old 06-16-2017, 03:27 PM
Postmaster

Per4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to allPer4mance is a name known to all
You guys are killing me, happened to look under the Ex and noticed the drag link has been rubbing on the lower hose. Can't wait for this job as I still haven't finish the shock project.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:47 PM
Postmaster

There are a couple of versions, this is one of the cheaper.

Amazon Amazon

Or if you wanted to buy the same thing as OTC branded

Amazon Amazon

In a pinch (yes I wanted to say that) you can grab them at a Sears if the local store hasn't closed down.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:50 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

This is the set I have from KD Tools

KD Tools 3835 Gear Plier 7 Piece Set Multiple Tip Geared Pliers System | eBay

The work really well.
Here is a good view of the set.
After the first 12 sec you can close the player.
Also the music on this one is LOUD.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputationRusty Axlerod has a superb reputation
Firehouse Sub shops sell cool pickle buckets cheap if you have one of those near you. Red plastic, pretty thick, firehouse logo and white top with a nice o-ring seal (no spout) I forget the price but it's just a couple bucks I think.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Elder User

Thanks for the suggestion Rusty. There is a Firehouse Subs near work but none around home. I bought 8 gallons of distilled water this morning for 8 bucks. Going to drain into the empty one gallon containers with a hose off the radiator petcock. Then refill after. If I need to add a bit no big deal as long as it is not all of it! LOL

Anyone know what size hose will fit over the petcock?