Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E4OD Doing Magic Tricks!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2001, 07:57 PM
madman666
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Nov-01 AT 09:52 PM (EST)]E4OD transmission, playing tricks on me.
The problem started about a month and a half ago, and at that time I had changed the fluid and filter, and added a B&M shift improver kit. I filled the transmission fluid up to the specified mark on the dipstick. The transmission worked fine, I drove it a couple times in about two or three days, then I checked the transmission fluid again, and of course while it was running, in park, and while it was hot. The fluid was down a quart, I thought this was odd, so I added a quart checked it, and it was fine. So the next week after driving it some, I checked it again and the same thing happened it was down a quart so I added some more. Right now I have added a total of about 5 quarts, and last week I checked, the fluid and it was down again!!!!! It’s just disappearing. I keep thinking D. Copperfeild is having fun with me. LOL!!
What’s going on?
There is absolutely no fluid on the floor, and the pan is totally dry, and there isn’t any fluid on any thing.
For some strange reason when I drive it for at least a half hour I can smell transmission fluid??
Where is it going?
I think are only two places it can be leaking other than the pan,
The one is a seal keeping tranny fluid from entering the transfer case, and the other I have no clue where it is.
When I get my truck back, I’m going to see if there is excessive fluid in the transfer case by taking out the fill plug

This one has me stumped. I can’t figure it out.
If you can add any insight please do.
Sorry for the long message but I wanted to give all information.
It has 128,000 on the clock.

Old 11-19-2001, 08:18 PM
cpnhgnjnky
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you by any chance drain the torque convertor when you drained it? Also how much did you put in the first time you filed it? I know these are basic ?'s but I would really like to help. If you respond I can try to take it from there, I guess I'm lookin for a startin point or something cause man its got me clueless.

cpnhgnjnky

Old 11-19-2001, 08:51 PM
madman666
Elder User

I actually forgot to drain the torque converter, I was going to do that after I put in the shift kit but forgot.
From what I could tell on the dipstick it was on the full mark. I put in 8 quarts.
Also I forgot to mention, my buddy had my truck in his shop on the lift two weeks ago and he said he saw some tranny fluid on the ground, but he could not find any fluid on the pan or the transmission at all. It never leaked at my house.
Right now my truck is in his shop again for front-end alignment and changing some parts, he is doing it all for free I just pay for parts
Thanks for your help

-Matt

Old 11-20-2001, 10:21 AM
Hartwood
Freshman User

Just some other questions. I changed the transmission fluid in my fathers explorer and I thought it was the electronic overdrive unit. Anyway, I question how you were able to fit 8 quarts of trans fluid in your tranny if you only dropped the transmission pan. The e4od tranny I thought held, like 13 or 14 quarts and most of it is the converter. If you only dropped the pan, maybe you added too much. But since you were checking the dipstick as you added the fluid, you should have noticed right away.

Check your radiator for transmission fluid, I believe the transmission cooler lines run through either side of the radiator in the plastic end caps. If your truck is leaking there, you may well be pushing radiator fluid out and forcing transmission fluid into the radiator. Let us know

regards,

Bryan

Old 11-20-2001, 12:35 PM
mickelsons
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i aggree that was my first thought, maybe your oil cooler in the tranny is leaking trany fluid into the radiator? You should be able to see the red scum in the radiator if this is the case.

Old 11-20-2001, 06:59 PM
madman666
Elder User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Nov-01 AT 08:04 PM (EST)]I went to see if there was transmission fluid in the antifreeze and there was none. No foam or any residue.
And remember I have lost like 5 quarts somewhere.
It seems to only go down when I drive it. I figured if it did that that there might be some fluid on the cross member or the frame or something, but there is none that I can see.
Remember I said I can smell transmission fluid when I drive, well maybe it is leaking on the exhaust I little bit.
Where could it be leaking?
I looked up the capacity of transmission fluid in the E4OD, and its 16.2 qts.
Thanks for your help so far.

Old 11-21-2001, 12:37 AM
Torky
Senior User

When its hot, could it be expanding out the trans vent? It could be dribbling out, and in the airflow under the truck get splattered on the exhaust system (the smell). The trans vent is a plastic cap that can move up and down. If you get under the truck, on the drivers side, you can feel for the vent up on top of the trans between the small end of the bell, and the transfer case. You can feel it, but can't see it, as it is up in the body tunnel. Overfilling can make it expand out, don't know why yours might be doing that.

Old 11-21-2001, 07:34 PM
madman666
Elder User

You said it may be expanding out if I over filled it, if the vent was expanded out wound it stay open, or maybe stick open. Could I just push on it to close it? Would that fix it?
Thanks for everyone’s help.

Old 11-21-2001, 10:23 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts