2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System - Recording

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System - Recording

New to the forum - Just purchased a 2017 F250 XLT 6.2L 4X4 SCREW and it came with the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System - Basically a 360' view using the 5 cameras. It allows you to see quite a bit moving forward or backwards when hauling a camper around (or not). I can appreciate it because of the sheer size of the F250 as it's hard to see what's immediately in front or behind you without it.

So I was thinking - it's 2017 and there's a prevalence of cameras around us - cell phones, window mount and vehicle integrated systems. The vehicles offer USB ports to allow access to any plug-n-play devices to access media. I'm wondering if anybody's considered using this port to DVR the onboard camera system?

If so, we could potentially record things around us for daily driving, off road, vehicle crashes or police issues.. even vehicle security. I suppose it's just a matter of understanding the system that ties into the cameras. Anybody hear about anything like this before?

Old 06-08-2017, 05:43 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you should mention that. I was thinking the same thing. Just started a thread on the subject HERE

If it's not doable right now, my guess is it will be soon!

Old 06-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
With the hardware that the truck came with this simply is not possible, nor ever will be. Theres just nothing to do the recording.

That's not to say its impossible, but it would be an aftermarket solution that would have to hook into the video feeds and do the recording.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Your best bet is to just get a wide angle, 2 camera dash cam. One for the front window and one for the rear. They usually are about 170 degrees, so you can capture pretty much your entire truck. They are cheap, and super easy to install.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
I understand that the FORD SYNC 3 interface runs on the Blackberry QNS Operating System. If it's anything like Linux, there may be an open source solution available out there that can be installed on to a thumb drive (or external device) that'll plug into the existing USB ports in the truck. Being that SYNC 3 uses those USB ports to allow media access, that appears to be the best approach for this issue. Sorry but am I asking a technical question to a bunch of gear heads? (LOL) Now that we're in the 21st century and most vehicles are computerized, we have to adjust to the technology in front of us.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I'm an IT guy first and foremost, gear head second.

It's just not possible the way you are thinking. There's no way for a USB device to act the way you want. You can't run unsigned code on the sync system. There's no code that will record camera data.

Third party is your only bet. I can guarantee that 100%.
​​​​

Old 06-08-2017, 06:28 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That being said does anyone know how long the cables are for the 2 channel dash cams? I have a shell, so the second camera would have to go onto the rear window of the shell.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:42 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tricon
I'm an IT guy first and foremost, gear head second.

It's just not possible the way you are thinking. There's no way for a USB device to act the way you want. You can't run unsigned code on the sync system. There's no code that will record camera data.

Third party is your only bet. I can guarantee that 100%.
​​​​
Glad to hear I'm not the only I.T. guy on this forum! Your comment regarding unsigned code makes me think about how IOS and Android can be Jailbroken or Rooted to allow 3rd party (unsigned) apps to work. Not that I want to "hack" my new truck per se, but the idea starts me thinking about mobile applications. SYNC 3 allows users to install Apple Car Play or Android Auto on our smartphones to interface with it. Maybe there's a 3rd party app that will play nice with SYNC 3 and allows video streaming? That could potentially open up a whole new arena for vehicle security (as long as it's secure).

Old 06-08-2017, 06:56 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
Glad to hear I'm not the only I.T. guy on this forum! Your comment regarding unsigned code makes me think about how IOS and Android can be Jailbroken or Rooted to allow 3rd party (unsigned) apps to work. Not that I want to "hack" my new truck per se, but the idea starts me thinking about mobile applications. SYNC 3 allows users to install Apple Car Play or Android Auto on our smartphones to interface with it. Maybe there's a 3rd party app that will play nice with SYNC 3 and allows video streaming? That could potentially open up a whole new arena for vehicle security (as long as it's secure).
That's the first thing that popped into my head, but also the reason I said I wouldn't hold my breath. Android Auto and CarPlay are sandboxed from the internal sync system. Ford didn't want any outside access (rightfully so) to their internal systems. I'm sure it's ultimately liability driven, but I don't see any headway happening there in any meaningful amount of time.

Can you imagine someone hooking up a cheap Chinese tablet infected with a rootkit or malware having access to your ecus and modules? Yikes. I'm glad they've walled it off. Third party Systems tend to have better features and support anyways.

I'm thinking about getting this device that will piggy back on the 8" touch screen. It will allow me to add cameras where I want them and easily switch to them even while in motion. You could easily add a DVR into the stack and record those feeds, but it wouldn't be the 360 cam feeds as far as I could gather.

http://www.car-interface.com/vendita/en/interfaces-a-v-video-ford/758-video-interface-for-ford-sync-3.html

Old 06-08-2017, 07:26 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
[QUOTE=Tricon;17248554]

Can you imagine someone hooking up a cheap Chinese tablet infected with a rootkit or malware having access to your ecus and modules? Yikes. I'm glad they've walled it off. Third party Systems tend to have better features and support anyways.

Now that you mention it, I would DREAD the idea of some yahoo breaking into my vehicle with a knockoff tablet, a rooted OS and malware ready to infect the ECUs. They already have hackers working on remote access to smart cars. Let's hope the manufacturers can keep up with it! All that aside, I was being hopeful and optimistic about my request.

I like your idea with the plugin module as it's just piggybacking off existing hardware, which was my next thought - if you can't access via software, maybe hardware? It'd be nice to add a DVD/Blu Ray player but then again, I may get distracted so I better leave it in the 5'r for vacations!

Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Yea, I'll take the 42" LCD in the toy hauler over the 8" sync screen any day 😁

Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 PM
62KR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an IT guy myself, I am going to go out an a limb and say that it may be possible. Ultimately, the sync system is just a computer and like a previous poster mentioned, iphones can be jailbroken, etc.

Having said that, it is a very proprietary system, and ultimately interfaces with all aspects of vehicle operation. It is one thing to "brick" a several hundred dollar phone. Completely different when you are talking about a $70,000+ truck.

If any of you have every watched Fast and Loud, they built a car using the Dodge Hellcat motor, and Chrysler told them they would not be able to run it without the factory harness, or transmission. Through the extensive use a computers, they tracked down each sensor that caused problems, manipulated the signals and got it to work.

If it could be done, I don't see a straight software solution, but ultimately there is a feed somewhere from the camera system to the screen. One could possible intercept that signal redirect it to a recording device and then pass it on to the factory screen. Perhaps rewiring one of the USB ports into the pass through device so an external storage device could be connected to store the recorded data.

Attempting something like this could also run into legal issues. I have not followed very closely, but there was a legal case against John Deere over the fact that they had copyrighted their systems, and essentially made it a copyright violation for farmers to work on their own equipment. Depending on the final results of this case, it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to think vehicle manufacturers taking this route in the future.

Having said that, I won't be attempting anything like this when my truck arrives. While it may be neat, and may be possible, there are much more cost effective solutions utilizing existing technology with Dashcams, etc. However, it a middle eastern oil sheik decided this was something he wanted, and didn't care what it cost, it would most likely be possible.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:32 PM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealer informed me that cameras are always active if that is the case the. It's a coding issue.

If the code is indeed QNX then it will be customized for the Ford but based off the OS Blackberry built. They build it for multiple cars thus there is a good bet it has the same generic core.

Biggest problem is that blackberry is good at coding and making secure systems. So a hack would be challenging. We arealdy know the current hardware can handle the data just need to figure out how to save it. If the internal body module will play nice with sync.

Who wants to download the code off their vehicle and post it public?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 PM
PackerBacker_TX
Senior User
I believe RIM (Blackberry) purchased QNX a while ago. I know that RIM had a reputation for being secure as this is what the PREZ used for his phone. I would bet that QNX is something similar to RedHat vs. Fedora. Same type base code with modifications built to FORD's specifications.

It'd probably be easier to tap into the camera systems wiring (vs. modifying the OS) with a hardware solution and then add your DVR from there. Besides, any modifications to anything on the truck would most likely void any warranties from the factory. So lots to consider on this topic. It's certainly fun to discuss and does bring plenty of opinion to the table.

I currently work with mobile banking applications, so I find the tie in to smartphones particularly interesting. Maybe I'll switch gears and start doing DEV work for automobiles? Could be the next "future tech"!

Old 06-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Sleepyguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also consider that even if you can make this all work there is no smart functions like you have with current dash cams. Time stamps, collision detection, etc. the camera could just keep recording and over right your hard work if you don't stop it in time. Nor would it work with truck powered off for security.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:08 AM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon

I'm thinking about getting this device that will piggy back on the 8" touch screen. It will allow me to add cameras where I want them and easily switch to them even while in motion. You could easily add a DVR into the stack and record those feeds, but it wouldn't be the 360 cam feeds as far as I could gather.

Video interface for Ford SYNC 3
I assume if you simply only had either the "Rear View Camera - Tailgate" or the "CHMSL" camera (or even no camera)......... you could still use this system at install any cameras, etc. that you want. (i.e.- you don't need the Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System to add/use this interface)

Originally Posted by PackerBacker_TX
I believe RIM (Blackberry) purchased QNX a while ago. I know that RIM had a reputation for being secure as this is what the PREZ used for his phone. I would bet that QNX is something similar to RedHat vs. Fedora. Same type base code with modifications built to FORD's specifications.

It'd probably be easier to tap into the camera systems wiring (vs. modifying the OS)........
I am not an IT guy ..... not a super geek..... but I have been using Blackberry devices for years and still do. You are correct, the PREZ and a huge number governments agencies domestic and abroad still use Blackberry devices and systems because of their security. To my knowledge, no one has ever 'jailbroke' or 'rooted' Blackberry device. Blackberry uses multiple layers of security on devices, much of which is probably baked into their QNX systems.

I would think it much easier to tap into wiring or add 3rd party systems (like the one linked above) .......... rather than trying to crack in the OS. Just IMO.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System - Recording