2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Camera and Trailer TPMS options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera and Trailer TPMS options?

So, at long last I got my new ride.

F350 PSD 4X4 CC 8' box SRW Lariat.

Time to get some recommendations on a few upgrades.

We got our new 5th wheel a month before I got the truck. Camper is pre wired for a backup camera mount. I want a camera but have no idea what the options are. Can they be integrated with all the other onboard cameras and the in dash display? If so Im curious what ones would be good to go and or what ones to stay away from.

Along that same line of thinking, I was wondering if there is anyway to integrate all the trucks cameras with a recorder. Thinking this might be easier than having a separate dash cam/recorder to have to wire up. I think dash cams are fantastic and being able to get one to work with a few and/or all the trucks cameras would be awesome! Please tell me this can be done. It would be such a waste if it couldn't.

Regarding TPMS, same idea. I want to install sensors on all the trailers tires but don't know if there is any way to do this using the trucks onboard TPMS vs having to purchase a separate system and display.

Basically this truck is so dang advanced it would be a shame to have to go with a couple hokey aftermarket units cobbled together in the cab and mess up it's clean appearance.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2017, 08:04 AM
harley1756
Freshman User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
They will integrate directly with your truck if you ordered the camera and tpms package. If you didn't it may be a problem to add it.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM
manowell
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JetFuelBurner
F350 PSD 4X4 CC 8' box SRW Lariat.
Long bed with single rear wheels? Crazy talk! :-)

Can they be integrated with all the other onboard cameras and the in dash display?
Ford offers a TPMS and trailer camera solution that is plug and play as long as you got the camera package, which it sounds like you do. It is customer installed and basically replaces the 7 over 4 pin solution in the bumper with a plug that includes a 12 pin connector (even though only 7 pins are used) for the trailer. Long cables are included to install on the trailer for TPMS sensor, 4 TPMS sensors for the trailer, and a 40' cable for a camera, might be cut-and-splice to use your prep wiring. This will integrate the trailer camera AND trailer TPMS (up to six tires) into the in-dash system. The TPMS system is limited to 110 PSI, however, some guys run higher pressure truck tires on their trailers.

Along that same line of thinking, I was wondering if there is anyway to integrate all the trucks cameras with a recorder. Thinking this might be easier than having a separate dash cam/recorder to have to wire up. I think dash cams are fantastic and being able to get one to work with a few and/or all the trucks cameras would be awesome! Please tell me this can be done. It would be such a waste if it couldn't.
First I've heard of this idea, and it WOULD be really cool. Hope to hear more. I'm guessing the video signals from those cameras might be digital and proprietary, but have no knowledge.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by manowell
Long bed with single rear wheels? Crazy talk! :-)

Ford offers a TPMS and trailer camera solution that is plug and play as long as you got the camera package, which it sounds like you do. It is customer installed and basically replaces the 7 over 4 pin solution in the bumper with a plug that includes a 12 pin connector (even though only 7 pins are used) for the trailer. Long cables are included to install on the trailer for TPMS sensor, 4 TPMS sensors for the trailer, and a 40' cable for a camera, might be cut-and-splice to use your prep wiring. This will integrate the trailer camera AND trailer TPMS (up to six tires) into the in-dash system. The TPMS system is limited to 110 PSI, however, some guys run higher pressure truck tires on their trailers.

First I've heard of this idea, and it WOULD be really cool. Hope to hear more. I'm guessing the video signals from those cameras might be digital and proprietary, but have no knowledge.
Sounds good. I'll head to the dealer and investigate. I do have the camera package. Got the truck a week ago and promptly left town for work. Just got home last night. Still haven't even cracked the manual.

I really hope some really smart entrepreneurs come up with a recorder that can use the cameras. That would be the cats a$$!!

Old 06-07-2017, 09:45 PM
captcolour
Junior User
Basically this truck is so dang advanced it would be a shame to have to go with a couple hokey aftermarket units cobbled together in the cab and mess up it's clean appearance.
Like mine

4UCam 7" monitor for wireless camera on back of 5th wheel
Garmin RV760 GPS
TireTracker TPMS

I didn't want a wired camera on the 5th wheel. Plus I wired the camera into the running lights, so serves as a rear view mirror -- always on when the lights are on.

Attached Images   
Old 06-08-2017, 07:13 AM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by harley1756
They will integrate directly with your truck if you ordered the camera and tpms package. If you didn't it may be a problem to add it.

Thanks for all the info. Please keep it coming. I like to let my OCD run a bit before I pull the trigger on an upgrade like these.

I believe I did get the full TPMS Pkg. The sync screen has the option to add trailer TPMS. It's active for the truck tires. I also got the ultimate trailer tow camera (prep I believe $700 option). I do not see that actual camera stored anywhere in the truck but then again I just realized where the backup key is for locking the console, tailgate, etc!

As I understand it, the Trailer TPMS is orderable as a kit from ford. I guess I either have to have the camper shop pull the wheels, unmount the tires, install the hardware into the wheel/tire and re-mount tire to wheel and wheels to camper.

I MUCH prefer plug and play on the camera. That said, I would love to go with an aftermarket WIRELESS trailer camera as if I'm not mistaken, the Ford camera is wired. If anyone has done this, I'd love to know what each component was to make the conversion and how it works for you. I think if it's overly complex/tedious vs plug and play, I may just have to grit my teeth and go with the wired setup.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want a Ford recommended product. Ford SYNC 3 Multi-Camera System for Factory LCD Screen

Old 06-08-2017, 07:48 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
I believe I did get the full TPMS Pkg. The sync screen has the option to add trailer TPMS. It's active for the truck tires. I also got the ultimate trailer tow camera (prep I believe $700 option). I do not see that actual camera stored anywhere in the truck but then again I just realized where the backup key is for locking the console, tailgate, etc!
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you should have the TPMS and camera accessories. I had to prompt my sales guy to get the box from the parts department. This was a new enough option that they had not dealt with it before.

I suppose that the box doesn't come from the factory sitting in the truck so it isn't stolen. Everything I needed was in the one box.

s

Old 06-08-2017, 07:59 AM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by shortride
If you want a Ford recommended product. Ford SYNC 3 Multi-Camera System for Factory LCD Screen
Very cool. Thank you.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you should have the TPMS and camera accessories. I had to prompt my sales guy to get the box from the parts department. This was a new enough option that they had not dealt with it before.

I suppose that the box doesn't come from the factory sitting in the truck so it isn't stolen. Everything I needed was in the one box.

s
I'm reading my build order and sticker and that's what it sounds like considering how its worded. Have an email to Fratz right now. Holy cow, he already replied. This dude is awesome. He's looking into it now.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Option 653 is the trailer TPMS and camera option, it's not included with option 874, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, but 874 is required in order to get it. It's not listed as a dealer accessory so we're trying to find it in Fords part system and make sure that it's plug in play or if something else needs to be done for it to be compatible.

Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (includes Rear View Camera, 360 degree camera system, rear CHMSL camera, Trailer Reverse Guidance and LED Center High-mounted Stop Lamp); display in center stack screen; req.
SYNC® 3 (913); req. 96V Value Pkg. or 585 AM/FM Stereo Single-CD for Fleet and 90L Power Equipment Group on XL; NA w/Pickup Box Deleted (66D)
Note: DOES NOT INCLUDE CUSTOMER
PLACED TRAILER CAMERA
Individual Trailer TPMS/Customer-Placed
Trailer Camera (req. SYNC® 3 (913); req.
Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System (874) or
Rear CHMSL Camera (873)
Note: Trailer TPMS sensors only compatible on
wheels with a .452’ diameter valve stem

Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
I had to prompt my sales guy to get the box from the parts department. This was a new enough option that they had not dealt with it before.

Yep, that's what I just tried to do first. Dealer installed and customer installed accessories generally get mailed to the parts department and then they SHOULD get installed or placed with the truck at PDI... That requires several moving parts to all work as intended, and frankly the techs don't deal with them often enough to always do the job of checking. Us sales guys get too focused on the sales paperwork and everything and forget to babysit through the whole process. So when Rich reached out to me, I assumed that may have happened, but the truck simply wasn't ordered with the additional option (which I don't think was a mistake on either myself or Rich's, we simply didn't look for the option prior to ordering.)

Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
After the fact kit for option 653

Actually the price isn't bad either. It's in line with getting it from the factory, but you do NEED 874 for it to work properly, and that's not an accessory. (Rich, you'll be fine, email coming)

Old 06-08-2017, 10:20 AM
captcolour
Junior User
As I mentioned in my post, it probably depends on what you want the trailer camera for. If just backing up, then the Ford one even though wired is clean. If you want to monitor traffic while driving as a rear view mirror, then you have to go with something else. I just got back from my maiden voyage with the 5er. I liked the camera set up because as I passed someone on the left, when their vehicle was out of view on the camera monitor on the right, it was clear to move over. I could obviously see the vehicle in the mirror, but the camera was helpful to monitor distance.

The camera system was around $240. I do need to extend the antenna for it to the top of the 5er.

The TireTracker TPMS uses screw on sensors to the existing valve stems, so no remounting of wheels. Uses watch batteries so easy to replace. System also monitors temperature as well as pressure. This worked well on my trip. Cost was around $150. There are other brands too.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,629 Likes on 2,731 Posts
Hopefully the ForeScan guys will figure out a way to enable the use of the Ford OEM trailer camera in modes other than reverse. Then you won't need an aftermarket camera.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM
JetFuelBurner
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Frantz
After the fact kit for option 653

Actually the price isn't bad either. It's in line with getting it from the factory, but you do NEED 874 for it to work properly, and that's not an accessory. (Rich, you'll be fine, email coming)
Thanks Doug! When a recording option becomes available in the future, I think I'll mod it then. I think the stock setup will cover 95% of my needs. I have a dash cam and can get by with that for now!

Thanks for all the info y'all. I think there will be a lot of really cool mods for this system very soon!!

Quick Reply: Camera and Trailer TPMS options?