2002 7.3 Occasionally won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 11:49 AM
malibusnyder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 7.3 Occasionally won't start.

Hey there,
So a few weeks back, i went to the store after work, came out and my truck just cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. I simply turned the key off and back on, waited for the WTS light to go out and she started up. I just blew it off, thinking i didn't wait long enough to start it.

Then, later that week i come out of a restaurant and it cranks and cranks but doesn't start. i tried turning the key off and on, waiting 30 seconds between em and still nothing. Then a few minutes later, i try again and she fires up, no problems and runs like a champ.

Well 2 fridays ago, I go out with some buddies, go to leave and it happens again. Cranks and cranks, but not starting. I got a ride to my place, grabbed a fuel filter, thinking maybe its clogged, it's been awhile since i changed it. I got back to my truck, and it started up fine, without changing the filter.

Then last night as i am out of town, 10 hours away from home it happens again. And i kept trying and trying and trying but it never wanted to start. I was about to submit my payment for the Uber back to my hotel when i decide to try it again and it fired right up.

Now i'm kind of affraid to drive anywhere and shut off my truck in fear of being stranded. What could be causing this? I've looked every where and havent found someone with the exact same problem, usually when i find a thread on turning over but not starting, the truck dies once it runs as well. Mine doesn't. when it starts, she runs great.

No smoke coming out the tail pipe when cranking.
WTS light comes on and off as it should.
Tach does not move, and it won't because it's a 2002.

Idk where to start, would the CPS cause it to act this way? It only seems to do it when the engine is warm.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This sounds like it could be electrical.
When you go to start it, does the fuel pump run?
Mine is right under the drivers side cab. When you turn the key the pump runs for a few sec and the fuel pressure jump right up to 55, or is already sitting at 55 psig.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:41 PM
malibusnyder
New User
Yes, the fuel pump runs ​and there is fuel in the fuel bowl/ filter housing.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:45 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 865 Likes on 659 Posts
only when hot?

IPR orings that leak internally can do that

What happens if you unplug ICP and try to start it?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:19 PM
malibusnyder
New User
Originally Posted by knottyrope
only when hot?

IPR orings that leak internally can do that

What happens if you unplug ICP and try to start it?

Not sure, I'll try unplugging the ICP next time it occurs. It doesn't do it every time it's hot, so it may be awhile before i can find out. Considering i'm 10 hrs from home without my tools and resources i'd rather not TRY to replicate the problem, but if/when it happens, i'll try the unplugging the ICP. So when i un-plug the ICP if it starts, suspect a bad ICP and Replace it? and if it doesn't start, rebuild the IPR valve?

Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM
Karlow
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When it craps out on you you should log some data. You should also log some baseline data while it's working.

Old 06-09-2017, 04:57 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
While there are several things that can cause your problem the CPS is a likely suspect, it is fairly cheap, easy to replace and can cause your symptoms. If it does not cure the issue at least you will have a spare CPS!

Old 06-09-2017, 06:15 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Is the Tinner Mann nut on the IPR? A loose or missing tm can cause this same symptom, check it it's free.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:45 PM
malibusnyder
New User
Finally back home and able to work on my truck!

Well, I made it 700 miles back home, didn't shut my truck off while I stopped for fuel because I didn't want to be stranded in BFE.

I did check the Tinner nut on the IPR while I was in OKC and it was there and tight.

Since I've been home, I haven't been able to get her to not start, so I decided to order the cheap stuff.

Went to the dealer for the CPS and ordered a IPR valve re-seal kit online. I got the seal kit in the mail today, just as I left for work so I'll be putting on the new O-rings, spacer and Tinner Mann nut on, as well as the CPS tomorrow morning. Hopefully It'll fix her up, if it happens again i'll try unplugging the ICP and go from there.

Thanks for the help again, guys. I'll keep ya updated on it.

Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 AM
malibusnyder
New User
Always something

Well, I didn't have time to re build the IPR, and on my way home from work last night, I noticed my wheel bearings making that horrid sound. Looks like that truck won't be going anywhere until I can afford to buy the hubs. No biggie, luckily it didn't start growling at me until I was about 2 miles from home, I just parked it in the garage and I'll drive my gasser till then. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:29 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Hubs are not cheap, but at least they are not complicated. Check your ball joints too, knock that off at the same time if needed.