Sponsored by: Moser

11-14 5.0 Engine KNOCK: looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:31 PM
jwalker_52
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11-14 5.0 Engine KNOCK: looking for feedback

I know theres a million threads about this already and I've read damn near all of them in the last two days but I'm looking for some info from people who experienced it and are currently experiencing it so bear with me.

The engine knock I'm referring to is the bottom end light knocking sound owners hear(easiest to hear through either of the front wheel wells) usually when the truck is warming up then seems to disappear when the truck is at operating temperature, at least thats how I experience it. I have read about all the people who had either a long block or short block done by ford because the noise was caused by cylinder wall distortion in cylinder 3 or 4 usually under warranty. Well in my case I saved money while stationed in japan for 2 years to buy a nice truck when I got back to the states and thats what I did, I bought a 2013 f150 SCREW XLT with a 5.0 and 4x4 with 68k on the clock. The truck has performed flawlessly for the last two months but two days ago developed the dreaded low end light knocking sound. Also for those who suggest its injectors its not I know it is definitely a knock not a tick. For me selling the truck, which I might do, would put me at a loss of thousands of dollars and I would not be able to replace it with as new or nice of a truck so id really rather not so my questions to you fellow ford owners that have or are experiencing the same thing as me are the following:

Have any of you gotten ford or anyone to fix this issue without doing at least a short block?

If your living with the knock has it gotten louder with mileage and time?

If the issue is cylinder wall distortion or an oblong cylinder because of a bad production block then how could it take 72000 miles to develop the issue?

Has anyone who had the knock experienced catastrophic engine failure because of it?

Has anybody gotten ford to fix the issue at the dealers expense for a truck that is out of warranty?

The build date on the truck is April 2013 and current mileage is 72800. Truck is not under warranty. My truck does not sound as severe as some of the other videos I've seen but here is the link to a example of what mine sounds like.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:41 PM
paintballdude05
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm interested to see peoples comments on some of those questions. With that said, I highly, highly doubt that you'll get a dealer to even approach Ford to cover a replacement engine.

Old 06-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Just had my engine replaced (under warranty) @45k and I really needed to push them to acknowledge it as a problem. The knock was loudest after a cold start and short ride, especially right after an oil change. A light engine load make the sound much louder than what you are hearing on yours:

Hopefully, someone will chime in that is living with a higher mileage example of the issue and be able to reassure or confirm your fears.

If it is cylinder distortion, I don't think there is another fix other than at least short block...

Old 06-07-2017, 01:23 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts
It is rare to see that on '13 models. In fact, these two vids are the only ones I've seen. Almost all of these cases are confined to the first production 2011 and some 2012 engines.

Having said that, oil change intervals and oil type do make a difference and in a lot of the cases I've seen the prior owner neglected proper service. In the OP's video, that engine bay is filthy. If the owner wouldn't even wash the truck, do you think they took time for meticulous fluid changes? A Ford dealership who pops the hood and sees that on a truck that's way beyond warranty isn't even going to touch it.

My buddy has a 2011 with 214,000 miles and it's flawless. Mine has 114,000 and it's flawless. A cousin of mine is shopping 100,000+ mile 5.0 trucks right now because he wants one really bad. These things are typically bulletproof, if they are cared for properly.

Of course, there were some of these issues early on that happened even with proper service and it was a known manufacturing defect, which is different from a design defect like the 3.5L TT engines were plagued with.

Good luck. But honestly, I wouldn't be too concerned if I was the OP. That isn't loud knocking at all. I'd change the oil properly and drive it.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:44 PM
jwalker_52
New User
Thanks for the input so far, keep it coming!!!
Also the video I posted is not my truck but mine sounds the exact same.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by WXboy
Having said that, oil change intervals and oil type do make a difference and in a lot of the cases I've seen the prior owner neglected proper service.
Nope. Going to disagree here. A manufacturing defect is a manufacturing defect and in this case the 5.0 knock due to cylinder "distortion" as it's being called is just that. I am the original owner, oil has been changed every 5k by me with MC oil and filter. Engine was just replaced for the knock.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn I learned that keeping the outside of your engine clean affects the inside in this thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:55 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
Damn I learned that keeping the outside of your engine clean affects the inside in this thread
Yep, it's amazing what you learn when you read.

Hey, the Canadians even have their own shampoo!

Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:31 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The small amount of dust in the OP's engine compartment, would not affect the cooling of the engine. The amount that is shown could be easily accounted for by a few trips up and down a dirt road. I too go on dirt roads and drives. I think that using the appropriate lubricants is more important. Use the prescribed motor oil as shown in your owner manual. Changeit more frequently if you are in dusty or dirty envirionment.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:33 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
Wow... I too just learned that I am neglecting my fluids e because I dont wash it.

I guarantee I've done more fluid changes than carwashes.

Hells bells, I've even been repainting and fixing rust, but I haven't washed it since I painted the hatch...
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-rust-ect.html

Be careful applying your own personal standard to others with a broad brush. There may be factors at play which you know nothing about.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:25 AM
Jesse Mayes
New User
Any updates on this? OP's video sounds exactly like mine from underneath but slightly quieter in the engine bay. Some videos ive noticed people posting sounds like worn out pcv valves blowing by a bit of air by the simple O - ring they put in the connection ends. My truck has under 50k on it and ive already swapped out to the pcv valve making this excess air noise and then finally crapping the bed completely and producing an obvious tick on top of the engine to accompany my knocking noise. Im really hoping this is a cracked exhaust manifold or even better, false knock caused by the exhaust mount bolts tapping the underside. As for the pcv valve on your truck id install a catch can if you havent already. Helps keep her clean and you can monitor how much is being blown off. Its scary to see how much dirty oil these engines route back into the intake manifold. Doesnt make sense to me but Im a plumber haha

Old 04-12-2018, 06:59 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
The noise in the first video is normal for the 5.0L. However, I use 5W30 Motorcraft oil and keep the level at the top of the hatched mark on the dipstick and mine is more quiet now than it used to be. The ticking is hard to even notice now.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:53 AM
cmd146
New User
I have a 2013 5.0 that is also a knocker. It sounds exactly like in your video. I bought the truck new, and have always had it maintained with Motorcraft filters and the Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend oil recommended by Ford. The knocking started before 10,000 miles, always worse after an oil change and when cold, but sometimes after it's warmed up also. Ford dealers have always said it's a normal characteristic of the engine. It doesn't sound any different now at 74,000 miles and runs as great as it did when it was new. Have had no other issues with the truck so I'm inclined to believe them and and keep it. I don't drive it everyday now, and won't be spending the money to buy another pickup, so I'm going to keep it for the long haul. Aluminum engines do tend to be noisier. I had a Nissan that did the same thing when it was cold and it went 200,000 miles and still ran great when I sold it.

All of that said, I don't doubt that there's some folks that have had issues bad enough to warrant replacement. and I have heard of some 5.0 failures that had the knock - mostly in Mustangs. So basically, all of the above is anecdotal evidence and I always and interested to hear if there is ever a fix or acknowledged issue.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 PM
mwhopkins1982
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 ford f150 engine knock

To everyone who is having the knocking issue you need to call ford and complain. They already have a recall on the 12-14 Mustang Gt 5.0 motor but because not enough f150 owners have called to complain they wont recall the motor even though its the exact same motor. Kinda stupid but thats what i found out today.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-06-2019, 01:47 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the same noise in my 2011 F150 XTR with the 5.0. Time to start sending emails and calling Ford!

Quick Reply: 11-14 5.0 Engine KNOCK: looking for feedback