2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Overweight, but not overweight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Joshua Hurst
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Overweight, but not overweight?

I love all the knowledge I have gotten on this forum, but I was looking at the curb weight of a 350 Srw King Ranch 4x4 LB, and by the time you account for people,aux fuel tank,lift,bumpers,etc., It ended up weighing around 9,000 lbs and then counting the 11,500 GVWR that leaves 2,500 for payload. Factoring in 20% tongue weight, that would give me a max trailer weight of 12,500lbs for a truck that is rated to tow 20,000. I feel like the truck would do it fine, but if pulled over by DOT or in an accident (God forbid) would they just look at the GCWR and let me be on my way, or would the pick apart and weigh each axle individually? Reason I ask is with a 30 ft gooseneck that weighs 8,000lbs, that only leaves me with 4,500 lbs on a 1 ton truck, which is quite depressing. Anyone else have this same problem? Opinions?

Old 06-06-2017, 02:59 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

My two cents is that "we" get fixated on the "20,000 (lb.)" number and we then tend to overlook other more important specs such as Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR). This is the number that basically says that if you want to tow a maximum weight trailer, then you need to use an XL trim truck with a light-weight driver and a light-weight passenger, no unnecessary options, no additional passengers, friends, or fishing buddies; no accessories, no coolers, no tools, no spare parts, and no cargo.

Or words to that effect. Here are the relevant notes (aka "the fine print") on pages 17 and 23 in the 2017 RV and Trailer Towing Guide:

F-150 AND SUPER DUTY®
Select the F-Series cab design and drive system (4x2 or 4x4) you prefer. Read down column
to find the trailer weight that can be towed with engine/axle ratio combinations listed. See
pages 18–25. GCWR column shows maximum allowable combined weight of vehicle, trailer
and cargo (including passengers) for each engine/axle ratio combination. Maximum Loaded
Trailer Weight assumes a towing vehicle with any mandatory options, no cargo, tongue load
of 10% (conventional trailer) or king pin weight of 15% (5th-wheel trailer) and driver and
passenger (150 lbs. each). Weight of additional options, passengers, cargo and hitch must be
deducted from this weight. Also check Required and Recommended Equipment on page 15.
Note: Trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight should be 10% (15% for 5th-wheel towing) of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue (trailer king pin for 5th-wheel towing) load weight and weight of passengers and cargo must not cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR. These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.
Alternately, you can load up the truck with options, people, accessories, and stuff, and then tow a lighter trailer. You just can't load up the truck and tow a maximum weight trailer at the same time, according to Ford.

Other important specs that should not be exceeded are the front- and rear Gross Axle Weight Ratings (GAWR).

Using your example above and going by Ford's 15% pin-weight guidance, you could tow a trailer weighing ~16,600 lbs., but you really need to check for compliance with all of the specs, and not just the one that Ford (and the other manufacturers and the media) brag about in a big, bold, eye-catching fonts.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-06-2017, 05:09 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Someone should make an app for this.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Someone should make an app for this.
Ford has. If you talk to someone in the commercial department we have "CVT" Commercial Vehicle Tools. Not only does it let us build and price exact trucks, you can add various types of trailers with different weights and percentages and see what it's actually going to play out on. If you're investing in a new truck close to the specs, it pays to go talk to the commercial department! Though more than not you'll find your truck does a bit less than the commercials imply.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:30 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Originally Posted by Frantz
Though more than not you'll find your truck does a bit less than the commercials imply.
It does a fantastic job of hauling my fat *** and some groceries around!

Good to know about the app. Should I ever decide to get a camper, I'll drop by and quiz them.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:06 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Yep, there is even a slide in camper option if you wanna go more old school (though the modern ones are not exactly old school)

Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Good advice above. With SRW trucks, you'll almost always reach the max on the rear axle/tires before you reach the GCVWR or max tow ratings - especially if you're talking a fifth wheel at 23 - 25% (use 15% of the trailers GVWR for a safe estimated tongue weight for pull-behinds). Any of the modern light trucks (3/4 and 1-ton) - especially if they are diesel - will pull a house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house over the rear axle.

Rob

Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Heres an example of one of the products it makes on a random XLT 350 DRW Diesel I threw together. I made up 6600# for trailer with 2000# weight for all the junk you bring and kept the distribution on defaults.

Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Frantz,

That looks like it's a pretty cool tool! I wasn't aware that it existed, and, while visiting many Ford dealerships and auto shows over the past 20 years, it's certainly not something that a single Ford salesman (salesperson?) ever mentioned to me.

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Frantz
Postmaster
It would be unusual for anyone but the commercial office to have it. And frankly, most commercial folks are a little older and not all of them embrace technology. But yeah, it's a great tool, and hopefully in time Ford will find a way to lower its "classification"

Old 06-07-2017, 05:00 PM
lotsofords
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Joshua Hurst
I love all the knowledge I have gotten on this forum, but I was looking at the curb weight of a 350 Srw King Ranch 4x4 LB, and by the time you account for people,aux fuel tank,lift,bumpers,etc., It ended up weighing around 9,000 lbs and then counting the 11,500 GVWR that leaves 2,500 for payload. Factoring in 20% tongue weight, that would give me a max trailer weight of 12,500lbs for a truck that is rated to tow 20,000. I feel like the truck would do it fine, but if pulled over by DOT or in an accident (God forbid) would they just look at the GCWR and let me be on my way, or would the pick apart and weigh each axle individually? Reason I ask is with a 30 ft gooseneck that weighs 8,000lbs, that only leaves me with 4,500 lbs on a 1 ton truck, which is quite depressing. Anyone else have this same problem? Opinions?
I was looking for payload and looked over the numbers like you did. Bought a 350 DRW (my first), problem solved. Couldn't be happier

Old 06-08-2017, 09:45 AM
prime81
Senior User
I think it depends on the trailer and truck accessories your adding to the truck.

My truck which is a loaded out 350 SRW with 20k slider hitch, all my tools, people and fuel weighed in at 8980lbs. That leaves just over 2500lbs for hitch. My trailer hitch weight is around 2300lbs... and when everything is hooked to the truck my overloads are still an inch and a half away from engaging. Here is the thing, my trailer is not small by any means its a 42 ft fifth wheel.

Not all trailers will have a 20% tongue weight, some are as low as 15% it depends how its built and layout.

Now this is what I'm towing, I am over my length limit by around 5-6 ft but gross combined, towing, and payload I am within limits.