2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

More sync 3 failures

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM
mojavearcher
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
More sync 3 failures

Along with no GPS coordinates, and altimeter reading when you use where am I. It also does not show any forest service roads like my 2011 did. Sync 3 was made for cars in city driving not for use in a 4 wheel drive truck. This thing sucks !!!

Old 05-30-2017, 10:47 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Yup. If you have an Android best bet is to use Google Maps in Android Auto mode. It's just easier to find roads and POIs. The stock nav just sucks and isn't nearly as useful as the previous Sync versions.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 AM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes I wish my truck had it also

Old 05-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Android auto is awesome. Way more useful and up-to-date than any in truck nav will be.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:52 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 537 Likes on 261 Posts
I like the stock nav just fine. Like me, I'm sure 99.9% of us use the GPS to find a city location.

Off road and coordinates would be nice, but not super necessary to me. The new Nav is much faster loading and voice prompts work so much better than MyFord Touch did.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:01 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by troverman
I like the stock nav just fine. Like me, I'm sure 99.9% of us use the GPS to find a city location.

Off road and coordinates would be nice, but not super necessary to me. The new Nav is much faster loading and voice prompts work so much better than MyFord Touch did.
Just saying that Google Maps and Google Assistant are a 100x better and more up to date than the built-in nav. Google Maps are updated multiple times a day. So when you search for that new Taco place across town but can't remember the name, Google Assistant and Maps has you covered. Good luck with that in the Sync Nav.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:12 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricon
Android auto is awesome. Way more useful and up-to-date than any in truck nav will be.
I find it more annoying than useful. It's annoying to plug the phone in (I rarely, if ever plug my phone in thanks to wireless charging). The graphics look like something out of an Atari and it takes over the whole radio when it starts.

No thanks. I'll just ask the phone where something is and not even bother plugging it in.

Old 05-30-2017, 05:29 PM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
My Android Auto works without having to plug the phone in and it works great. I am pretty sure with Apple the phone has to be plugged in but not with my Galaxy S7. It casts the Google Maps right onto the screen.
This is why I opted not to get the navigation option on my truck.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:22 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by DISLTom
I find it more annoying than useful. It's annoying to plug the phone in (I rarely, if ever plug my phone in thanks to wireless charging). The graphics look like something out of an Atari and it takes over the whole radio when it starts.

No thanks. I'll just ask the phone where something is and not even bother plugging it in.
I don't plug my phone in?

I guess different strokes for different folks. I purely use Android Auto, I never switch back to Sync for anything.

Hopping in my truck in the morning and hearing google assistant say my morning commute is 14 minutes longer than usual, then suggest a different route because of an accident and show me that route on the 8" screen, or just hitting the speech button and asking for the weather for today, or who won the hockey game last night...its all just amazingly integrated.

Plus the stock nav blows compared to GMaps. The stock nav is still missing some major streets by me, GMaps has had them for about 8 months now.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM
Xwild
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys are saying that you don't have to plug in the USB for Android Auto to work? What setting is that? if I don't plug in, I just get the normal bluetooth connection...

Old 05-30-2017, 08:47 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WyoBull
My Android Auto works without having to plug the phone in and it works great. I am pretty sure with Apple the phone has to be plugged in but not with my Galaxy S7. It casts the Google Maps right onto the screen.
This is why I opted not to get the navigation option on my truck.
Android auto only works when the phone is plugged in, what you see working is "Smartlink" through bluetooth that shows your apps, Android auto opens google maps on your display and blanks your phone. you can also make phone calls when plugged in just like connected through bluetooth.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:32 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 537 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by mojavearcher
...It also does not show any forest service roads like my 2011 did. Sync 3 was made for cars in city driving not for use in a 4 wheel drive truck. This thing sucks !!!
Last night, I took my dually up a fire trail / logging road...well, at least a ways. The road showed up just fine on the Ford nav. The first mile or so is all uphill, rocks and mud, some ditches. Definitely requires 4x4, a little ground clearance, and flexes the suspension pretty good. The 2017 felt really good. But eventually the trail becomes rocky ledge steps and lengthy water fording (3-feet or so) plus some relatively deep mud holes. No way my truck would make it on the stock 31.5" tall Michelin LTX tires. Likely the DPF would become a victim to the rock steps as well, or submerged rocks. But for what I did, it went great, and this Class VI trail as they are classified here showed up just fine.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM
WyoBull
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by wb6anp
Android auto only works when the phone is plugged in, what you see working is "Smartlink" through bluetooth that shows your apps, Android auto opens google maps on your display and blanks your phone. you can also make phone calls when plugged in just like connected through bluetooth.
Well, I am going to have to play with it some more then because I am sure I cast Google Maps onto my center display from my phone without being plugged in. I will play with it some more and report back.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 AM
camping nut
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't even figure out how to put Android auto on my navigation screen so I can use Google maps I will have to keep trying.