Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bed to body alignment issue up for help

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 12:21 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Bed to body alignment issue up for help

The bed on the driver side is about one inch further back from the cab than the passenger side. Nothing under the truck looks to have ever been wrecked or damaged. From the picture you can see someone (one owner truck) has addressed this issue. However, in the picture, the cab is to the right of the nut and bolt. All bolt holes on the driver side have been elongated. I have not had the bed liner out so I don't know if the bolt holes are elongated in the bed. I doubt it but?? None of the passenger side has been altered.

My question is what is the best and proper way to fix this? Assuming the bed holes have not been elongated that option would be available since for now I plan to keep the liner or put a cover on the bed. Please ask me any questions that you would like to know. I have been putting this off and now I am ready to take care of it properly. It appears I could just loosen everything up and push the bed forward but I want to make sure. Thank you Sandy

Old 05-27-2017, 01:29 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ill put money on the frame being in a diamond...

Old 05-27-2017, 02:28 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MR KROGOTH
I just went and checked the entire frame again and I see no previous damage to the frame anywhere. The truck drives straight and no crabbing. Maybe the cab took a hit but I see no evidence of that either. Obviously something has happened and someone knew about it. Where the bed meets the body is the only clue I can see and most don't even notice it. Once you do it is glaring. If the bed was moved one inch forward on the driver side I don't think you would notice it from the back of the truck. Regardless, this truck isn't going anywhere and whatever it is will be fixed. I would like to do it myself but as usual I am not opposed to professional help if needed. Got any? Sandy

Old 05-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Have you tried loosening the cab mounts and bed bolts to get them to line up?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:23 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Have you tried loosening the cab mounts and bed bolts to get them to line up?
No sir. I was waiting for advise how best to proceed. I can do this if you are suggesting it. Thanks Sandy

Old 05-27-2017, 07:07 PM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by sandymane
I just went and checked the entire frame again and I see no previous damage to the frame anywhere. The truck drives straight and no crabbing. Maybe the cab took a hit but I see no evidence of that either. Obviously something has happened and someone knew about it. Where the bed meets the body is the only clue I can see and most don't even notice it. Once you do it is glaring. If the bed was moved one inch forward on the driver side I don't think you would notice it from the back of the truck. Regardless, this truck isn't going anywhere and whatever it is will be fixed. I would like to do it myself but as usual I am not opposed to professional help if needed. Got any? Sandy

Find 2 points on the frame rails that are mirrored to the other side.

Get a good measuring tape and another hand and x out the measurement of the points - the further and longer away the better. If theyre different, it's in a diamond. If not, something is wacked out between the cab mounts and the bed mount points. More pictures would help with that. Do the cab mounts look like theyve been replaced or serviced at all? Are there any tool marks on the bolt heads? The the cab in a straight line down the length of the truck with the bed?

Old 05-27-2017, 07:55 PM
HardScrabble
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get your hands on a frame dimension chart for your truck and measure. Front to back, side to side and diagonal, criss-cross.

Check the bed for square too. Can't imagine it is out but who knows? Sight down the sides of the truck.

Google image search may produce something.

When I read the thread title I thought it was going to be a height thing.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:01 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Find 2 points on the frame rails that are mirrored to the other side.

Get a good measuring tape and another hand and x out the measurement of the points - the further and longer away the better. If theyre different, it's in a diamond. If not, something is wacked out between the cab mounts and the bed mount points. More pictures would help with that. Do the cab mounts look like theyve been replaced or serviced at all? Are there any tool marks on the bolt heads? The the cab in a straight line down the length of the truck with the bed?

In thinking that sounds like a good idea. To clarify, when I have an X if I boxed it in would have 4 of what you are calling diamonds, and the opposite sides should be the same size? Is that the same thing as the center of the X being in the center of the frame rails? If not I am sorry, I don't understand.

When looking down the cab it "appears straight" until the bed. The bed is out of alignment with the cab when looking down the cab on both sides. It does not look like the cab bolts have been used but the bushings on the radiator are much more worn than the others.

If I can clarify anything please let me know. Also, are you saying the X should have points that include the bed and the cab? Sorry for my confusion and thanks for the help. Sandy

I was typing this when you sent your thoughts HardScrabble.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:31 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
I also just found this. It seems to be what you are talking about with slight differences in how to do it. I have a fairly level garage so this would be easy to do.

Place the vehicle on a clean, level floor and set the parking brake.

Select at least four points along the left frame side rail (5015) and transfer these points to the floor with a plumb bob. If desired, paper can be taped on the floor along both sides of the vehicle below the frame. Mark the points on the floor as accurately as possible.

Locate the corresponding points along the right frame side rail (5016) and transfer these points to the floor in the same manner.

Move the vehicle away from the marks on the floor, and measure diagonally between all points on the floor. Both measurements should be equal within 6.35mm (1/4 inch).

Measure between corresponding points parallel to the frame side rails. These measurements should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) of each other.

The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at the spring hangers and at the steering gear mounting location should be within 1.59mm (1/16 inch). The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at all other points should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch). The web and flange should be square at all other points within 3.18mm (1/8 inch).

Any point on one side rail should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) ahead, behind, above, or below the corresponding point on the opposite side rail. The frame side rail should not be bowed more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch) for each 2540mm (100 inches) of frame length. The overall width of the frame should not vary more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch).

Old 05-27-2017, 09:34 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree Sandy. It looks terrible. And I'm sure it's beyond repair. My professional recommendation is to donate the truck to me. I'm not sure what I would do with such an eye sore, but heck, I will do my best. I can only do this if you have put those new seats in. If I have to, I will drive to your place it pick it up. Let me know how you want this done.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:43 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Glenn54
I agree Sandy. It looks terrible. And I'm sure it's beyond repair. My professional recommendation is to donate the truck to me. I'm not sure what I would do with such an eye sore, but heck, I will do my best. I can only do this if you have put those new seats in. If I have to, I will drive to your place it pick it up. Let me know how you want this done.
Thank you Glenn. I hate to do that to you but you asked for it. Seats will be shipped June 5th. When received and installed I will let you know and have it hauled to you in an enclosed trailer for your kindness. Best regards and don't let the horse head lying in the bed beside you in the morning bother you at all. Sandy

Old 05-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Glenn54
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I knew you'd understand. I mean what are friends for.

Thank you Glenn. I hate to do that to you but you asked for it. Seats will be shipped June 5th. When received and installed I will let you know and have it hauled to you in an enclosed trailer for your kindness. Best regards and don't let the horse head lying in the bed beside you in the morning bother you at all. Sandy

Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
No sir. I was waiting for advise how best to proceed. I can do this if you are suggesting it. Thanks Sandy
yes. Loosen the bolts and align the bed/cab

Old 05-28-2017, 08:27 AM
MR KROGOTH
Laughing Gas
I also just found this. It seems to be what you are talking about with slight differences in how to do it. I have a fairly level garage so this would be easy to do.

Place the vehicle on a clean, level floor and set the parking brake.

Select at least four points along the left frame side rail (5015) and transfer these points to the floor with a plumb bob. If desired, paper can be taped on the floor along both sides of the vehicle below the frame. Mark the points on the floor as accurately as possible.

Locate the corresponding points along the right frame side rail (5016) and transfer these points to the floor in the same manner.

Move the vehicle away from the marks on the floor, and measure diagonally between all points on the floor. Both measurements should be equal within 6.35mm (1/4 inch).

Measure between corresponding points parallel to the frame side rails. These measurements should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) of each other.

The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at the spring hangers and at the steering gear mounting location should be within 1.59mm (1/16 inch). The squareness of the frame side rail web to the floor at all other points should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch). The web and flange should be square at all other points within 3.18mm (1/8 inch).

Any point on one side rail should be within 3.18mm (1/8 inch) ahead, behind, above, or below the corresponding point on the opposite side rail. The frame side rail should not be bowed more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch) for each 2540mm (100 inches) of frame length. The overall width of the frame should not vary more than 3.18mm (1/8 inch).
You've got the idea. Triple check all your measurements. If you provide the year, model, engine, wheelbase and cab/bed config I should be able to get you a diagram.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:09 AM
barnym17
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unlike glenn I will take it without the new seat and hide it in my garage so no one has to see that terrible unsightly issue,lol

Quick Reply: Bed to body alignment issue up for help