2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rear shock leak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:50 PM
twesslen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear shock leak?

Leaking so much there's a grease spot on the ground can't see anything else that could be the source is this common? 7800 miles is it time for a trip to the dealer?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:06 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,204 Likes on 578 Posts
Yes, LOL, VERY common. Don't bother with a warranty replacement. Read the many shock threads of late. FOX 2.0 or Rancho 9000 seem to be your best bet.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:41 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Too bad there not Military Grade Shocks!

Now another member mentioned he was going to order Fox replacements, but still let the dealer warranty out a new set, that he would pull off and sell afterwards!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:44 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well another one bites the dust. My fox 2.0 will be here tomorrow.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Just so you don't feel like you're in the minority. This was after 2,000 miles. I happened to be at a dealership and pointed it out to them. They started to tell me it was "normal seepage". He must have seen that particular look that I give people before I call them a complete idiot and he took it back really quick.

They replaced it and then I promptly took it off to put on the Fox Shocks.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:37 AM
twesslen
New User
Which Fox shocks should I get? I need a part number for front and back as I think I might just replace both.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:43 AM
First3Quarter
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread may answer all you're questions.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-worth-it.html

Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 332 Likes on 235 Posts
I too had both rear shocks leaking at 4500 miles, I had the dealer replace them at no cost to me. Of course after market shocks are better than OEM, but as long as Ford warranty has me covered, this is their problem. I am in no position to fork out $2500 for new shocks, thats just insane, (some of us have a limited income). However, when my warranty expires, then I will upgrade, and I will not pay crazy money either. This is a large pick up truck and I don't expect it to "ride nice", thats what the wifes car is for. My truck is my daily driver and the way its set up, I think it rides fine compared to my OBS that I drove daily for 17 years.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
I am in no position to fork out $2500 for new shocks, thats just insane, (some of us have a limited income).

Wow, where do you get $2500??? LOL. Fox 2.0's are only about $450 delivered for the set of 4. Bilstein and Rancho's are less. Can you spend $2500 on shocks? Sure. Do you need to spend anywhere near that much for a quality set? Absolutely not.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:06 AM
bikerman5345
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$2500 shocks are you jumping the truck or doing monster jam with it or something? If not rancho has a rebate and fox shocks are not much more than them. For what they cost its well worth the upgrade.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by bikerman5345
For what they cost its well worth the upgrade.
I agree. I want my truck to be the best it's going to be when new. Not 3 years down the road when the shocks are out of warranty. Or is it one year on a wear item like a shock? Either way, there is no point in waiting when you could have a better ride now and don't have to keep running to the dealer for more free junk every time one blows.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Wow, where do you get $2500??? LOL. Fox 2.0's are only about $450 delivered for the set of 4. Bilstein and Rancho's are less. Can you spend $2500 on shocks? Sure. Do you need to spend anywhere near that much for a quality set? Absolutely not.
I saw that quote a while ago, and yes it is on the high end, but even at $450, not me, not while under warranty and definitly not on shocks. I'll stick all my play money into my helicopters.

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat View Post
Epic, my gut feeling is there is no one size fits all shock. That said, I would go with valving that suits your 95% and deal with it the other 5%. I don't in any way think the stock valving will be damaged by your pin weight.

Tricon, we have different needs for sure. I never go off road. I just want a stock replacement that won't blow and will handle the bouncing that a heavy 5ver pin weight can cause...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricon View Post
​​​​​​
There's no shock like that (well, there is, they are called bypass shocks, but they are silly money) that you would put on a daily driver. My advice, call up a company like Accutune and tell em what you want. I would valve for the 95%, no point sacrificing anything for that 5%. However, the foxes will be night and day better than any off the shelf stuff like rancho even in that 5%.
I think that's good advice. I've been looking hard at the King bypass shocks and actually had my mouse hovering over the ORDER NOW button a few times. They are super cool and would do both jobs at a price point of about $2,500. Like most things, this is all in my head and there's no way I'll be able to realize the value of such a setup. I have a few weeks until I have to order so I'm hoping Fox will just hurry up and make the rear shocks for our trucks. I know I have a crappy ride right now so it will make installation day that much more enjoyable.
________

Old 05-26-2017, 09:47 AM
System
Prolocutor
Tricon was talking about super expensive specialty shocks. Not many people are doing that. I guess you like to spend time playing a game for an inferior ride. Different strokes for different folks. I chose to cure the problem and get a better ride to boot. Win win to me.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Yea, even Fox 2.5s are under 2 grand. If you want a smooth, planted ride that soaks up the jarring bumps then 2.0s for $450 are a great deal. I get that some people just want to keep replacing the stock Ranchos under warranty, but my time is worth more than $450. I'm not going to keep scheduling dealer appointments and driving to the dealership every couple thousand miles to keep the same ****ty stock ride. That's a fools errand.

The $2500 shocks I was taking about are Baja blasters. These are the beasts that let you go 80mph out in the desert all day, and still have supple street manners. These are for a very select few people that want to use their truck in that specific situation. Anyone that needs these know exactly why and what they need them for.

Old 05-26-2017, 10:43 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
I know, I get it too, but this is a truck for me, a work truck perhaps. And as for now it rides fine with stock shocks, I didnt buy it so I could mod the hell out of it, and I understand why some guys do it to theirs.
My reply to you Karl was to show where I came up with that "$2500.00" price, thats all. Not going to argue over who should do what about shock absorbers. My reply to the OP was to say that I too had bad shocks and what I did about it. It was simply my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: Rear shock leak?