Notices
6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Coolant Additive Message

Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
06greenstroker
Senior User
06greenstroker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check Coolant Additive Message

I know this topic has been covered...I've done my research and reading. This message just displayed on my truck at 42xxx miles. I want to do the test myself (lack of faith in the dealerships) so just want to make sure I have done my research properly...

I will need to do 3 test procedures correct?

1. Coolant Concentrate (freeze points) - using a refractometer Robinair 75240
Amazon Amazon

2. ELC Contamination Test - using Acustrip Ford Rotunda 328-071ELC
Ford Rotunda 328-071ELC

3. Test for Nitrates - using Acustrip Ford Rotunda 328-2050
Ford Rotunda 328-2050

Top off with Ford Specialty Orange Engine Coolant if needed. Add Ford Specialty Orange Engine Coolant Revitalizer VC12 if needed.

Do I have all the tests covered above with the right tools/test kits?

I do this to both the primary and secondary cooling systems correct?

The dealership said they would charge $19.95 +tax for the test. Much cheaper than purchasing all the test tools/kits above, but I fear they may not be testing it properly or thoroughly.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:09 PM
smoky_diesel
Posting Guru
smoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to beholdsmoky_diesel is a splendid one to behold
The documentation is poor, and the dealership is likely clueless.
'needing to add revitalizer' (corrosion inhibitor) is likely what you want to know but may be confused as 'contamination' (or lack there of) in older revisions of acustrips docs. Yes do both systems. If no one has touched your truck you don't need to test for contaminates. Its a mess, good luck.

Organic acid Carboxylate was a contaminate for older generation of vehicles, and is now the corrosion inhibitor (or lack there of, it is not clear if you test for carboxylate itself or if it is the byproduct of the corrosion inhibitor when it is depleted). So the same test has a new purpose. use documentation from web not those in the box.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16864125

So to test 'corrosion inhibitor' you need:
2. ELC Contamination Test - using Acustrip Ford Rotunda 328-071ELC
Ford Rotunda 328-071ELC

Make sense?
Have fun with the drain plugs...