Sponsored by: Moser

Got everything hooked back up, won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 09:40 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got everything hooked back up, won't start

I have gotten everything buttoned back up after rebuilding my 410 FE in my 76 F250.

I pulled the engine and put all new gaskets, Sanderson headers, edelbrock almunimum intake, water pump, Holley 4160 aluminum carb and all hoses and belts and probably others in forgetting.

I just got got the engine back in the truck and front clip back on and went to fire up the truck and it won't run. When I pour gas in the top of the carb it will start briefly and die. When I pull the throttle I don't see the jets shooting fuel into the carb. But I know I have fuel in the hose going to the carb. I pulled it off and replaced the fuel pump thinking that was the issue. Still not getting fuel. Definitely have spark.

Could the floats in the fuel bowl be stuck? Or jets clogged?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:27 PM
jakeharp
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
How sure ?

Not insulting your intelligence but weekly we see and I have experienced myself electrical problems that disguise themselves as carb problems, those little devils

So, are you 100% percent sure the coil is firing, the rotor is spinning and the timing is in line? Have you pulled a plug to see the spark ? Are your grounds at least half way in order ? Did you replace the ignition box ? (it is the cause of many a mans grief) Fuel is easy peasy to determine fault, so I wouldn't start ripping the carb apart unless you are absolutely sure your ignition system is in check..... more often than not that is your problem........

If you are 100% confident in your iginition system, then I would pull the fuel line and check for psi from the pump, then move on onto the floats and jets........ good luck, lots of knowledgeable folks round here...

Old 05-21-2017, 11:30 PM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
perhaps fuel. If it's hasn't run for a while, it can take a lot of sucking to get the fuel up from the tank.

Maybe run a line from a jerry can in close proximity to the fuel pump.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 AM
boingk
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fill the float bowl up with fuel and see how it goes then. I use a beer/soda can with the top cut off at an angle so you can make a pointy pouring spout to get fuel into the little vent/overflow tube in the carb.

Once its filled up, see if your pump shot works (it should) and then start.

If it runs fine, bring the revs up and block the top of the carb briefly with your hand and then release to let the revs climb again. This will help unblock any orifices or jets by increasing vacuum. I've seen it fix a lot of problems caused by letting a carburetor sit.

- boingk

Old 05-23-2017, 02:05 PM
VaFordman26
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense taken. I often find little things I've overlooked. Unfortunately I don't think this is the problem this time. Like I said above I have no pump shot coming out in the primaries.

I tried to to use the soda can trick and fill up the fuel bowls but they seemed to not be filling. Then I went to crank it over and discovered the #4 cylinder was full of fuel. Needless to say I didn't try and start it. I don't understand how all that fuel leaked down through the intake.

Do I have a major blockage in the carb somewhere? Or are all the gaskets just shot in the carb? I still don't have the pump shot even after manually filling the fuel bowls

Old 05-23-2017, 07:22 PM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're sure it's not a fuel delivery problem, check the floats to be sure the needle valve is connected to the float....and proper adjustment.

Put a rag under the float bowls.....Loosen the 4 bolts (5/16" socket) and note if any gas leaks out. Y? N?

Pull the float bowls....front one first being careful not to lose the plastic washers around the bowl bolts, AND the rubber O ring around the rear bowl feed tube.

Peek at the needle valve/float/hairpin assembly observing any movement when the float is moved up/down. Adjust the float such that it is parallel to the top of the bowl. You'll have to turn the bowl upside down for this.

Not parallel? With a needle nose pliers CAREFULLY adjust the float's tang so that it is parallel. You won't need much beef on it to adjust.

Do the the same with the rear bowl, again being careful not to lose the O ring and washers.

Reassemble....a little gas down the vent tube....check for squirtables....still no squirtables? Look for leaks under the accelerator pump....replace if needed.

OIL! Pull the dipstick and take a whiff....smell from gas? Change the oil/filter ASAP!