6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Primary rad woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 AM
bamcq
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay thank you I'll have to look into that. I started and ran it alittle this morning to get it up to temp and see if it would start leaking again and the leak never appeared.. so idk what to think at this point.. idk if I just dodged a bullet or what.. I can't think of any reason why I would have a leak one day and not the next because the primary radiator system is a closed system and there wouldn't be a leak unless something broke right? Or is that not a correct assumption?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:17 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 921 Likes on 331 Posts
would be especially good, if they had lifetime warranty...hahaha

Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
Originally Posted by bamcq
I can't think of any reason why I would have a leak one day and not the next because the primary radiator system is a closed system and there wouldn't be a leak unless something broke right?
It quits leaking when all the fluid is gone

Old 05-22-2017, 12:39 PM
bamcq
Junior User
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
It quits leaking when all the fluid is gone
well blowing up my engine wasn't very high on the to do list tho it's starting to get up there with how frustrating this is getting.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:42 PM
KES08
Senior User
I remember reading something about the top driver side radiator fitting being a possible culprit. The fitting has a C-clip that holds a plastic elbow onto the radiator and can start allowing air into the top of the radiator when it's at temp causing drastic expansion and contraction to the fitting and radiator. The belief is that the stress on the system due to the air leak is what could be causing some to fail.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:58 AM
bamcq
Junior User
Originally Posted by KES08
I remember reading something about the top driver side radiator fitting being a possible culprit. The fitting has a C-clip that holds a plastic elbow onto the radiator and can start allowing air into the top of the radiator when it's at temp causing drastic expansion and contraction to the fitting and radiator. The belief is that the stress on the system due to the air leak is what could be causing some to fail.
but would this be the problem on the mishimoto radiators as well since there all aluminum?

Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 AM
bamcq
Junior User
Okay so been thinking actually it's turned more into an obsession with trying to get a long term solution to this problem and had a theory prb is a stupid one but curious nevertheless... i have a buddy that has a 08 6.4 and he knows how notorious those are for busting radiators but he personally as never broken one.. is truck also has a 4in lift kit (i think for not exact but it's lifted) my truck is at stock height stock suspension components... so my theory is this- does having the truck lifted with bigger suspension components/tires help with taking the brute of the flex vs a stock one that doesnt have that and the brute of the flex gets put on can isolators/radiator? I know there's plenty of people that have lift kits on these so I'm curious if those people are breaking radiators as well....Or am I just overthinking

Old 05-23-2017, 11:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
my 08 6.4 had the original radiator on it when I sold it with 86K and 2300 hours on the motor.

Most miles where heavy towing cross country, lots of heat. Ran pretty much 210-220F coolant temps cross country.

Had the remainder of the miles with off road or snow use for the most part.

My now 2013 6.7 sees about the same use with 43K on the clock and the original radiator.

It has more to do with the poor quality radiators then anything else.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:17 AM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar issue, going on for some time. On my second Mishi. Drip this time is on the passenger side. Never seems to be consistent, sometimes seems to drip a lot, sometimes nothing. When it does drip, the drips aren't hot. Everything is at operating temps, but no heat in the dripping coolant. Somebody else mentioned theirs was doing the same thing and thought it was actually on dripping on cool down. I'm thinking it's now more of a problem with the seal in the lower radiator hose. These seals didn't get changed (didn't even think about them) when I put the 2nd Mishi in. I have replacements for both upper and lower, but the only way to change is to pull the radiator out and I just haven't had the chance to do it yet. I don't lose that much coolant so I just keep an eye on it and top it off every couple of weeks.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:17 PM
bamcq
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hopeless Diamond
I have a similar issue, going on for some time. On my second Mishi. Drip this time is on the passenger side. Never seems to be consistent, sometimes seems to drip a lot, sometimes nothing. When it does drip, the drips aren't hot. Everything is at operating temps, but no heat in the dripping coolant. Somebody else mentioned theirs was doing the same thing and thought it was actually on dripping on cool down. I'm thinking it's now more of a problem with the seal in the lower radiator hose. These seals didn't get changed (didn't even think about them) when I put the 2nd Mishi in. I have replacements for both upper and lower, but the only way to change is to pull the radiator out and I just haven't had the chance to do it yet. I don't lose that much coolant so I just keep an eye on it and top it off every couple of weeks.
not to sound bad but I'm glad you posted tho this just to know that I'm not the only one. That's absolutely exactly how mines has been acting since Saturday but mines on drivers side and not passenger. Same exact way with consistency and everything. Have you been running yours like that for awhile/long distances? There's a mudfest event I'm supposed to go to this weekend gota go 7 hrs with atv in the bed and I've been nervous as hell if it's going make it or not. I was just going be well stocked with coolant and pray like hell. I contacted mish about it and they said they want me to try this cool leak stop stuff they have where it mixes with the coolant and then supposed to plug the leak from the inside but idk I'm little skeptical running that through the coolant system. Also when you do get a chance to change it out let me know if it ends up being seal in the hose. I didn't personally change mine out and could most likely bet that the garage that did didn't change any seals in mine

Old 05-25-2017, 04:31 PM
Hopeless Diamond
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I haven't heard of an catastrophic failures, just the drips. I've been running mine for about a year now with it dripping and haven't had any issues, other than marking it's spot. I've had with camper on, jeep in tow going over Grant's pass with the temps over 105, plenty of mountain passes, and lots of stop and go traffic. Always on my mind though.

Don't put any of those snake oil fix leak additives in. If I don't have the Ford Orange Coolant, I just top off with distilled water, nothing else.

If it is the seal on the upper radiator hose, you should be able to feel the bottom of it and see if it's wet, the lower hose is so buried you have to remove the radiator to even see it.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:03 PM
bamcq
Junior User
Yeah I checked the top one and got nothing so must be the bottom. But okay yeah it will definitely be on my mind.. been all week but makes me feel alittle less **** my pants worried about hauling with it this weekend after hearing that yours been like that for year vs mine only been a week. And Im currently mixing up a couple of gallons of ford orange as we speak. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.