1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

does someone know that company?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:58 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
does someone know that company?

Hi,

on my search for an 272 rebuild engine (see separate thread) I stumbled
over this web site: Ford 8 Cylinder Remanufactured Engines
I contacted them and got a quote which is interesting to me.

Now the question: Is there anybody in here, who knows them? It seems they are in Las Vegas, but the replies to my inquiries came from Engines LLC in Merillville, Indiana. The quote they gave me is solid and fair but I'd like to
make sure to make a deal with a solid company. Due to the distance, it's
not that easy to get informations.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 AM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
This looks like an empty store front. They wish to appear to be one company but likely rely on a network of shops to perform the actual work. As I reviewed the estimated shipping times, there wasn't any particular geographic focus. Without knowing how they operate, I would not put any money at risk.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Are there no shops closer to you that could do the work?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 AM
rico56
More Turbo
Hi Charlie,

no way to find a rebuilt 272 y-block here in Europe! Small-blocks like the 289 or the 302 are easy to find, but no y-blocks. But since I'd like originality, I'd
prefer a 272 y-block.

Yes, it looks as if they work as a network of shops. I contacted 4 other shops which I found on the internet, but they don't reply - strange

Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
This looks like an empty store front. They wish to appear to be one company but likely rely on a network of shops to perform the actual work. As I reviewed the estimated shipping times, there wasn't any particular geographic focus. Without knowing how they operate, I would not put any money at risk.
Exactly! My son recently purchased a remanufactured engine for an early T-type Buick and the network of shops is what he found when he asked specific questions. Collusion for efficiency, Yes. How many calls for Y blocks or T types do you reckon there are? Not many.
As far as the engine, my son said the engine looked good, was professionally packaged and had a listing of all specs but he has not fired it yet.
I have no answer as to the validity or the integrity of the site listed.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
John Mummert is a local Y-block expert (FORD Y) have you checked out his website? I know of a few local shops in addition to Mummert's that have expertise in the Y-block as well, I guess I haven't given it too much thought about those who live outside the US having limited access. Do you have an engine now or are you looking to buy one without a core?

Old 05-15-2017, 11:36 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Could also contact the "Y Block Guy" Tim McMasters for some possible avenues.

http://yblockguy.com/

And Ted Eaton

http://www.eatonbalancing.com

Old 05-15-2017, 02:59 PM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I second John Mummert! Did you get that yblock I sent you in that other post?

Old 05-15-2017, 03:20 PM
rico56
More Turbo
Hi guys,

thanks for the replies and the advices and links! I'll check all the links and John Mummert as well! I don't have a core. In my F100, currently a 239 is installed that runs very well. As I wrote before, due to originality, I'd like to replace it with a 272. I'd keep the the 239 as a spare-engine. Since I don't have a core, I'd have to make a core-deposit.

@Calvin: I tried to contact that guy but he never replied

If I have some news, I'll let you all know

Old 05-17-2017, 03:22 PM
rico56
More Turbo
Hi boys,

a short update: I have a deal with the "Y Block Guy" Tim McMasters!
He'll rebuild a 272 for me (272 bored to 292 std.) with slight
improvements! . I'll post any news here!

Thanks for the contact!

good night...

Old 05-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Oh boy! That should be a great engine. I'm looking forward to updates and lots of pictures of your new engine.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 AM
rico56
More Turbo
well, Joe it'll take some time (until September / October) because Tim is very busy. But good things need time and there's no need to hurry, since the truck is running so far with the 239 . But of course I'll keep you up to date with infos and pics. And of course I'm sitting on a hot chair - can't wait to get that engine installed - like waiting for Santa Clause - hohoho

Old 05-20-2017, 05:23 AM
fordslut
More Turbo
Received 140 Likes on 76 Posts
rico56 -- I love your jellyfish quote. there's hope for us all maybe! maybe not.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:05 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Rico, not to get ahead of ourselves here - what are your plans for the exhaust system? As you know the original factory configuration included a crossover pipe at the front of the engine. Is the plan to keep this arrangement? I'd urge you to consider dual exhaust manifolds, maybe Ramshorns. Dual exhaust turn Y blocks into really great sounding engines, maybe not as nice as a flattie but damn close, they have same firing order 1-5-8-4-6-3-7-2 ; the stock crossover and single pipe is restrictive. Ask Tim about the heat riser through the intake manifold, do these get blocked off?

Installed ramshorn manifolds and Porter steel pac mufflers in my 292 and sounds great. Straight pipes, 2" or maybe 2.5" with no mufflers might be even better but I have neighbors. I was going to install a crossover "H" pipe but haven't seen the need.

A guy gave me an Epi-pen. He was dying and it seemed very important to him that I have it.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:52 PM
rico56
More Turbo
@fordslut: ...some well educated and intelligent people act as if they didn't have a brain . The world could be much easier... I think I'll have a beer now

@Tedster: the truck (with the 239) has that original crossover and the single pipe exhaust. That's how I planned to leave it for the time beeing. The sound
is quite cool with this setup. But maybe the new engine (which will have a slightly tuned camshaft and larger valves) will have a complete other sound with
that exhaust-setup and I'll have to replace it (dual exhaust...). But at first I'll give it a try.

Quick Reply: does someone know that company?