6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

STC/HPOP Removal/Install with Tips & Pic's

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 12:41 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by packagerjr
Excellent write up and pictures. Really help a guy see what is going on there.

Two questions:

First, would you see any harm in applying some o-ring grease to the cover o ring to keep it from falling out on reassembly?

Second, I recall you had a good oil leak occurring up in that area prior to STC failure. If the rear cover wasn't cracked until the STC failed, what's the suspected leak path for the oil? Can a leaking STC throw oil to the ground?

Pictures 23, 24, and 25 don't show up on page 1 of this thread. I hope the fix is easy. There's a lot of good information in this thread, and glad it's fixed.

In regards to the o-ring setting in place. I used Vasoline. It will make it stick in place.

I am still not understanding why I had an oil leak on the rear plate before the STC fitting blew, except this one conclusion I have without any facts to back it up......

I think that the STC was failing, and I was not paying attention to my IPR % that would have told me that I had a leak in the HPOP area, and with the high oil PSI that the HPOP produces, it was squirting out the rear part of the cover and gasket where there are no bolts holding the cover down. It makes sense to me.

I looked at the photo's and they do show up, but sometimes they take a moment to load on the page because of how big and how many I posted.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:33 PM
packagerjr
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll look for photos again. They were coming up with little X's but it sounds like I need to work on my patience.

The oil leak explanation makes perfect sense. I would agree you likely had impingement on the cover seal and it was accelerating the leak.

Thanks again for documenting and sharing your work.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Yama4fitty
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up Preston!

Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 411 Likes on 272 Posts
I was on vacation so just getting to this...

WOW Preston!!!! Great job And I too can only give you public reps -- still in jail to allow rep'ing you my friend...

This should be in the Tech Folder for sure!

Not sure why you left such a tempting tidbit for PM only: the fix on the cracked rear cover. I thought the engine or trans had to come out to replace it . So it leaves us wondering if you did a repair? Like JB Weld??!

Do tell... If it is a trade secret PM me what you did -- but a bunch of folks would benefit if there is a quick and dirty (heavens, shadetree even) fix for a cracked rear cover...

Again: really fine job!

Scott

Old 05-19-2017, 01:10 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I was on vacation so just getting to this...

WOW Preston!!!! Great job And I too can only give you public reps -- still in jail to allow rep'ing you my friend...

This should be in the Tech Folder for sure!

Not sure why you left such a tempting tidbit for PM only: the fix on the cracked rear cover. I thought the engine or trans had to come out to replace it . So it leaves us wondering if you did a repair? Like JB Weld??!

Do tell... If it is a trade secret PM me what you did -- but a bunch of folks would benefit if there is a quick and dirty (heavens, shadetree even) fix for a cracked rear cover...

Again: really fine job!

Scott
Thank you Scott.

It is no trade secret, just a patch job that works very well. I had the idea in my head, and had confirmation from other people before doing it.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Good Fix.
And a good writeup.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Great article and added to the Tech Folder

Old 05-21-2017, 06:57 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Turd-250
this thread is simply the best!
Yes best write up ever.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:37 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Great article and added to the Tech Folder
What a compliment. Thank you.

Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
Yes best write up ever.
Thanks bud!

I just want to let everyone know that I have had many inquires about how I fixed my badly cracked rear cover of the engine.

After some talk with some friends on here, and encouragement, I will post my how-to with pictures after I get another couple thousand miles on the truck. Which should only take about another 3 to 4 weeks. Just to make sure it lasts.

I will start a new thread for it when I do explain the how-to.

Thanks - Preston

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 PM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by silverbullet6oh
What a compliment. Thank you.

Thanks bud!

I just want to let everyone know that I have had many inquires about how I fixed my badly cracked rear cover of the engine.

After some talk with some friends on here, and encouragement, I will post my how-to with pictures after I get another couple thousand miles on the truck. Which should only take about another 3 to 4 weeks. Just to make sure it lasts.

I will start a new thread for it when I do explain the how-to.

Thanks - Preston
Thanks for that bro, you will be the rep King with that one

Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 PM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
So I have 2,500 miles on the fix, and I decided that since I actually have some time I would post a new thread on the fix I did on my rear cover.

Here is the link:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ear-cover.html

Thanks - Preston

Old 12-03-2017, 06:27 AM
jiveturkey692000
Tuned
So you never had to remove your intake manifold?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:08 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jiveturkey692000
So you never had to remove your intake manifold?
In his pics it doesnt look like he did & you do not have too. Some people remove it so they don't take a chance of dropping a hpop cover bolt into the crankcase because with the manifold in place you have to leave the bolts in the cover until you weave it out from under the cooler. I don't remove the cooler or intake when removing the covers. Sometimes I loosen the intake bolts and EGR cooler clamp to give a little more wiggle room.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:43 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
In his pics it doesnt look like he did & you do not have too. Some people remove it so they don't take a chance of dropping a hpop cover bolt into the crankcase because with the manifold in place you have to leave the bolts in the cover until you weave it out from under the cooler. I don't remove the cooler or intake when removing the covers. Sometimes I loosen the intake bolts and EGR cooler clamp to give a little more wiggle room.
Bingo, loosening the EGR cooler clamp helps enough it's a no brainer for me at least
Amazing the space is that tight there.

My biggest gripe is getting the later build style cover back in past that stupid y pipe. There has got to be a better way.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 AM
jiveturkey692000
Tuned
I'm using my phone and the other 2 pages of the thread weren't showing up but they are now. And my EGR is deleted so I'm hoping it won't be in the way. Im guessing I either blew my STC fitting or the pump went. I started to go to work yesterday morning and I was speeding up to about 35mph and the lost my throttle and it went right to idle. Let off gas and stepped on it again, started speeding up and lost the throttle and it dropped to idle again. Stepped on it again and it died and wouldn't start. As I cranked my pressure dropped to 0. Got out and unplugged ICP and it read 1250 but no start. Plugged it back in and it builds zero pressure when cranking. So tomorrow I'll pull the oil filter and make sure the housing fills and go from there. Standpipes and dummy plugs have been changed. When do the pumps usually fail? I'm around 248,000 miles. I'm assuming it's the fitting but may change the pump anyway because I'm in there? Idk yet. And what other gaskets, seals and orings do you need for this job? It is a good write up. Pictures are great.

Quick Reply: STC/HPOP Removal/Install with Tips & Pic's