2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

truck leaning

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:11 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
truck leaning

2017 F-350 CCLB leans about 3/4" lower on the driver side than the passenger side. I thought my gatorbacks were installed wrong and today the mechanic put it on the alignment rack and we measured several points on the truck (ground to center of wheel wells, top of frame, bottom of mudflaps, top of bedrail) and it's off.

Anyone else notice this? Ford is going to look at it Monday but I suspect they will tell me to live with it.

This lean is without me in it and about 38 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I measured mine the other day and it is the same way. My 2014 was the same as well, and I took it to ford and they said that it has to be an inch or more and in the first 12 months of ownership. I think part of the problem is the springs are so soft in the first few inches of travel to make the ride better that even a full tank of fuel can make the list to the side...

Old 05-12-2017, 04:23 PM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you have a spray in bed liner installed where they pulled the bed bolts. If so they put them back on with an impact until it could not go anymore. It's happening to several that do this.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Originally Posted by yamaguy
I measured mine the other day and it is the same way. My 2014 was the same as well, and I took it to ford and they said that it has to be an inch or more and in the first 12 months of ownership. I think part of the problem is the springs are so soft in the first few inches of travel to make the ride better that even a full tank of fuel can make the list to the side...
Well it obviously leans to one side when I put my 300 lb foot on the running board, but empty I would expect it to be level.

Originally Posted by K A M
Did you have a spray in bed liner installed where they pulled the bed bolts. If so they put them back on with an impact until it could not go anymore. It's happening to several that do this.
I have the factory spray-in bedliner. I think they do that right over the bed bolts.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:52 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Tried measuring with an empty tank?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:10 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tricon
Tried measuring with an empty tank?
Is the tank on the driver side? I always just assumed it spanned across. I have not tried measuring with an empty tank, however I have always wondered if it's a little crooked whether or not the tank is full or empty. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist
Is the tank on the driver side? I always just assumed it spanned across. I have not tried measuring with an empty tank, however I have always wondered if it's a little crooked whether or not the tank is full or empty. Thanks for the suggestion.
My Tundra did the same thing with a full tank. It favors the driver side for sure.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Super Duty's all lean to the left. Been this way since the early 2000s. The weight balance is off right to left.

PMF sells 1/4" coil spring spacers for this very reason. Ford has had a TSB for the issue since the mid 2000s but unless it's off by over 1" side to side you won't get a new leaf spring. If less than 1" they will install a spacer ship. They won't touch the front end at all.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Yes, the fuel tank, DEF tank, steering box and column, transfer case output, and of course the driver, are all on the left side.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Originally Posted by skanj0
Super Duty's all lean to the left. Been this way since the early 2000s. The weight balance is off right to left.

PMF sells 1/4" coil spring spacers for this very reason. Ford has had a TSB for the issue since the mid 2000s but unless it's off by over 1" side to side you won't get a new leaf spring. If less than 1" they will install a spacer ship. They won't touch the front end at all.

Yes, the fuel tank, DEF tank, steering box and column, transfer case output, and of course the driver, are all on the left side.
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the TSB number?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:58 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Superduty isn't the only one that leans, look at just about any motorhome that is on the Ford F-53 chassis, they all lean to the right, and in this case its not the fuel, as their fuel is in the back between the frame rails and centered. Ours leaned so much we had to put in a 2" spacer on the leaf springs.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:09 PM
Hackenbush
Laughing Gas

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Last one I had that leaned I just reached the left rear spring 1" and done. Any spring shop.

Old 05-12-2017, 11:20 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
This is the first version of TSB that I located. It's for the 6.0l super duty's but it is still in effect.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
TSB O4-23-6.pdf (134.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:59 AM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
The dealer measured the truck and found it off. I then went and put 20 more gallons of fuel in it and came back and it was more off. So it seems that it relates to the amount of fuel in the vehicle. Obviously when I get in it after that, it will lean even more. The dealer says (as I've read online before) that the progressive springs cause that problem. I'll just have my mechanic put a 1/2" shim in it on the driver side and be done with it.

They did contact Ford and will let me know when they get a response.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
The dealer measured the truck and found it off. I then went and put 20 more gallons of fuel in it and came back and it was more off. So it seems that it relates to the amount of fuel in the vehicle. Obviously when I get in it after that, it will lean even more. The dealer says (as I've read online before) that the progressive springs cause that problem. I'll just have my mechanic put a 1/2" shim in it on the driver side and be done with it.

They did contact Ford and will let me know when they get a response.

Thanks to all for the advice.
I measured my 2016 over the weekend after detailing it. The drivers side (left side) is 1/2" lower than the right - front and rear. This is with 2/3 of a tank of fuel (Titan 50g tank), and with heavy duty coils in front and an add-a-leaf in the rear. Cab and bed were empty too.

Quick Reply: truck leaning