Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M5OD Top Cover Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 01:16 AM
Lucjensen38
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly no it's not. I've been researching this, and this being the first thread I've come across that is fairly recent. I had read about people resting their hand on the shift lever while driving, and it was ruining the stub bushings.. So I've trained myself to only place my hand on it when shifting only. ( I swear ) It shifts nice, no binding that I can tell, I'm just at a loss. I didn't really reiterate that when shop whom did it was done by p/o. I've done everyone since. I've moved the rail and made sure that all the little check *****/springs/pins that come out go back in. I'm beginning to wonder if they're worn out and not holding the rail in the right place. I like the OD but I'm considering a T18 at this point since Google searches haven't turned up many articles on problems like the M5R2 does. And I've looked for a SBF ZF5, and that's pretty much like finding a unicorn or the lochness monster.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:34 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 621 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucjensen38
Sadly no it's not. I've been researching this, and this being the first thread I've come across that is fairly recent. I had read about people resting their hand on the shift lever while driving, and it was ruining the stub bushings.. So I've trained myself to only place my hand on it when shifting only. ( I swear ) It shifts nice, no binding that I can tell, I'm just at a loss. I didn't really reiterate that when shop whom did it was done by p/o. I've done everyone since. I've moved the rail and made sure that all the little check *****/springs/pins that come out go back in. I'm beginning to wonder if they're worn out and not holding the rail in the right place. I like the OD but I'm considering a T18 at this point since Google searches haven't turned up many articles on problems like the M5R2 does. And I've looked for a SBF ZF5, and that's pretty much like finding a unicorn or the lochness monster.
I have some information on my computer and I will look at it tomorrow and get back to you. Maybe someone will chime in with an idea in the meantime. Good idea on the flush you had. Sandy

Old 03-13-2019, 01:40 AM
Lucjensen38
New User
Thank you sir for your help. I was actually kinda shocked when I received a reply, thought I was one of a few who runs long hours on little sleep.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:46 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Lucjensen38
Thank you sir for your help. I was actually kinda shocked when I received a reply, thought I was one of a few who runs long hours on little sleep.
My pleasure to TRY to help you. I have checked my information and the only things I can come up are these ideas. First, you mentioned this."It (fork) sounds like it's dragging on the slider ring". That could be a clue to the more informed. Next, my info leads me to believe the slider could be worn causing your issue. The synchro ring could be worn causing it. Next, it could be both worn out and causing the issue. How many miles are on the truck?
I also assume you have the end caps on the cover preventing the rail from going past the cover. The caps on the opposite side of the rubber plugs are what I am referring to. I am not sure about the two sliders being the same but if so, you could measure the sides and base of the area the fork rides in and see if there is any variation on them. Last and least probable in my opinion are the components that make up the shift kit that is available. Shifter free play is usually very noticeable if they are worn out.
Other than this info, I have run into a dead end. I am going to continue to research this and will get back if I find anything. Last idea, you could call the company you are buying ALL your forks from and see if they are knowledgeable about the wear issue.
Subford can probably help with this and you can PM him and see if he has time to respond in your thread. Sandy

Old 03-13-2019, 01:56 PM
Lucjensen38
New User
Truck has about 205k miles on it. The shifter has play in it, even with new bushings, but it's not the bottom stub shaft. I think the top of the stub,and or/the shift lever are worn. I can't tighten the bolt that holds the 2 together any more. And it could very well be the synchros/sliders. It only does it from 1 to 2. All others are quiet.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Is this the part you are talking about?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Lucjensen38
New User
Yes that is what I refer to as the stub shaft. I'm thinking the machined slot is worn for one, making the lever sloppy when connected. I found a shift lever/stub shaft at a local pull yard, I may just take the whole top plate and bring it on home.. the lever/stub seem to be tight, like factory new tight. I've thought maybe the stub could be the issue, as in it's worn down enough that even with new bushings and the side pins it still has play in it and moves the slider incorrectly enough to cause problems for me. Hell I may sweet talk my wife and take the whole trans.. get aquatinted with rebuilding it.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:33 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
If the salvage yard no longer has the part or you don't want to go there, I am happy to send you this one gratis. I don't think I will ever need it. If you can just get the top cover and shift lever from the yard for a good price I would get it especially if the 1-2 fork is good.. Bronco sells just the stub for 30 bucks. Keep us posted. Sandy

Old 07-04-2020, 06:40 PM
Pat Hamer
New User
Hey 5.0,
I got the same thing left in my rebuild. I don't see it anywhere on the tranny schematics, I've not touched the shifter parts. I'm baffled. I'm done building, and that same pin was on my speedo magnet. Did you find out where it went?

Old 07-04-2020, 07:00 PM
Pat Hamer
New User
I found the same pin. Damn!!!!

Originally Posted by 5.0 guy
Little update, I took the cover back off and was playing around with the shift action. This little pin just fell out onto the bench. It isn't hollow. Any idea where it come from?
So, did you ever find out where that pin went?

Old 07-04-2020, 08:06 PM
Pat Hamer
New User
I found the same pin. Damn!!!!

Originally Posted by 5.0 guy
Little update, I took the cover back off and was playing around with the shift action. This little pin just fell out onto the bench. It isn't hollow. Any idea where it come from?
So, did you ever find out where that pin went? It looks like it was from my Transfer case 1534. I remember that, I think. I think that it came with a new part, and it floated around with my nuts and bolts. Not sure yet, I'm waiting for confirmation. The 1534 ford part number is 7B362B https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ha.../pin-6533383-1

Old 07-05-2020, 04:23 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,931 Posts
How would it get from the transfer case to the transmission?
And then not take any of them out?

To me that looks like the pin for the shifter stud in the picture above.
It would go thru the shifter tower and the stud pivots on when shifting.
I know on a T19 you have to be vary careful they don't fall down inside the transmission or you are pulling it apart to get it out.
If it was to try and go thru any of the gears kiss the transmission good by.

Did you have all the rollers for the bearings in place when you took it apart?
Dave ----

Old 07-05-2020, 05:17 PM
Pat Hamer
New User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
How would it get from the transfer case to the transmission?
And then not take any of them out?

To me that looks like the pin for the shifter stud in the picture above.
It would go thru the shifter tower and the stud pivots on when shifting.
I know on a T19 you have to be vary careful they don't fall down inside the transmission or you are pulling it apart to get it out.
If it was to try and go thru any of the gears kiss the transmission good by.

Did you have all the rollers for the bearings in place when you took it apart?
Dave ----
So, 5.0 guy found a pin that didn't seem to fit into the m50d trans after putting it back together. I found the the same exact symmetrical pin that he found. I never said that the pin was found in the transmission. I rebuilt both the transmission but the transfer case first. This was a few months ago, and I got busy. I ordered parts for the transfer case, and there is a pin like the one I found in the 1534 bw transfer case, and I have the part.ford.com part number. so, when I ordered T case parts, that pin was in them. The old pin, I'm hoping, but pretty sure now was in my parts cleaner from months ago. When I found the pin, it was on the magnet of the speed sensor, and so that was the last thing to put in the transmission, and I'm like oh crap. But, I'm trying to get ahold of 5.0 guy to compare notes.

I'm quite sure that the pins you think fit that shifter are different than the one I found. I don't see how they can come out without dismantling the rods. But. I'm confident that the pin is not from the transmission. I'd give a buck or two to find out what 5.0 guy came up with.

Obviously the two top pins from the shifter are visibly not symmetrical to the bottom mystery pin.