ABS & Traction Control Lights - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

ABS & Traction Control Lights

Old 05-06-2017, 08:41 PM
New User

TBU is starting off with a positive reputation.
ABS & Traction Control Lights

Hello to all,

I need some guidance to troubleshoot a problem with the ABS & Traction control lights on a 2006 Mountaineer Premium with 126,000 miles. During the year that I have owned the vehicle this problem has occurred every time it is driven on a long trip. The previous owner never drove on longer trips so has no experience with this problem.

When you drive the vehicle around town and on shorter trips (less than an hour) there are no indications of problems. The ABS and Traction control lights come on as part of the start-up check cycle and go off. The ABS and Traction control work in low traction conditions and the lights function correctly when either one is activated.

The unusual behavior occurs on trips longer than an hour. Typically after about 1 1/2 hours at highway speed both the ABS and Traction control lights come on as well as the Wrench symbol in the message panel. It you hit "Reset" the Wrench symbol goes away but the ABS and Traction control lights stay on. The brakes work normally. I do not know if the ABS and Traction Control will work. I have never been in a low traction condition when the lights are on.

Both lights stay on until you stop the vehicle and turn off the ignition. When you restart the vehicle the ABS light is on but not the Traction Control light. When you start to drive the vehicle the ABS light goes out immediately.

After about 1/2 hour of driving both lights come on and the Wrench symbol displays in the message panel. Whenever you stop the vehicle and restart during the trip the cycle repeats.

The day after you finish the long trip everything is normal for driving around town and on short trips.

Any suggestions about where to start troubleshooting are appreciated!

Rusty
Old 05-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
The ABS is monitoring to see that all 4 wheels are turning the same speed. If not, it assumes you are slipping or STUCK and it engages the Traction.

For some reason, after things heat up, the truck is seeing a variation in wheel speeds.. It could be a bad sensor, it could be that one MOVES after it gets hot, it could be that all 4 tires don't have the same PSI pressure, it could be that one or more tires are worn more than the other.... Probably a MINOR difference somewhere as it takes TIME and HEAT to show up. ........... start by looking at tires and pressure ....... then wheel sensors.......... rear sensor MIGHT be on the center pumpkin and not at individual rear wheels ? I have seen the center speed pickup ( sensor) act up when rear differential oil got HOT after driving for 1-2 hours.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:51 PM
New User

TBU is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply and focusing on the basics. I agree that I need to eliminate those before I start just blindly replacing parts.

I am fairly confident that it is not a tire size or pressure difference. All 4 tires are the same brand and size (I agree I have seen that problem before) and with very equal tread wear (+/- 1/32).

I was also thinking that there was some type of a heat related issue until last week. We had a cool 60 degree day with rain. The lights came on after about 20 minutes of driving.

My next step is to get access to an ABS code reader to see what might be stored. Right now my best guesses are either a bad sensor or sensor connector with some corrosion that gives an intermittent signal.

I will let you know what I determine. It might be a few weeks before I get time to work on it.

Rusty
Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a great reputation on FTE.
I had a 2002 Explorer that would have the ABS light come on after 60 minutes on the interstate... I pulled the sensor on the rear pumpkin and it had metallic "dust" from gear wear on it... Cleaned it off and worked OK for 6 months.. Took it back out and just a trace of metal that time... Decided to change out the sensor and never had a problem again.. I think the original was weak and didn't take much metal / foam/ crud to kick it into " non reading" mode.