Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Same As Fleet Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:18 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Just because I didn't see it get answered anywhere else in this thread. The problem with the pre 2001 powerstrokes and elcs is that it reacts with the injector cup sealant. And eventually let's the oil and coolant mix. Nothing wrong with the cups themselves. I too have been tempted to put the stuff in my 89'. If I ever get around to it, it'll go in my 02' as well.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeF250
Just because I didn't see it get answered anywhere else in this thread. The problem with the pre 2001 powerstrokes and elcs is that it reacts with the injector cup sealant. And eventually let's the oil and coolant mix. Nothing wrong with the cups themselves. I too have been tempted to put the stuff in my 89'. If I ever get around to it, it'll go in my 02' as well.
This isn't a PSD forum. This is the IDI forum.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 PM
JoeF250
Tuned
Originally Posted by genscripter
This isn't a PSD forum. This is the IDI forum.
I am aware. It was brought up in one of the previous posts, as a potential problem with the cups themselves. I just thought I'd take a moment and clarify as to what the problem actually was.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeF250
I am aware. It was brought up in one of the previous posts, as a potential problem with the cups themselves. I just thought I'd take a moment and clarify as to what the problem actually was.
AND THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR DOING THAT. It is a very important clarification.

That was in Post number 5 by me:

I was very sceptical of the ELC coolants for the 2+ years that I have had my truck because the labels usually indicated "for use in newer diesel engines" (back to about 2006)...
There was an alleged problem with using an ELC in one or two of the model years of the 7.3L Power Stroke, (I think that was about 1999-2001?) which might have been a factor in why the Coolant manufacturers listed it for "newer diesel engines' (going back to around 2006)

Old 05-10-2017, 07:48 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Macrobb
I looked at the final charge label, which calls out Cummins CES 14603. This is a spec that was called out in the other ELC coolant topic as being what you need, because it *doesn't* have the acid that can destroy the rubber.

I'm using Zerex HD ELC myself, which also conforms to the Cummins CES 14603, Cat EC-1 etc.
Thank You Macrobb!
That resolves the final question about a possible issue with seals!

Furthermore the new ELCs provide better protection from cavitation than the old SLC formulations that depended upon Nitrites which deplete at varying rates. Nitrites (or their by products) also attacked solder joints (radiators) and contributed to extra wear on water pump seals.
ELCs also have better anti-corrosion properties resulting in LESS scale or fine debris in the cooling system, protect or 'lubricate' water pump seals, and are compatible with aluminum Radiators.

Needless to mention you don't have to use test stripe or flush and refill the system every 2-3 years.

As far as the 50/50 mixes, if they are using DE-IONIZED water, you can't match that from plastic jugs of distilled water, so that would be a a comparative advantage.

I've been a sceptic for technical reasons but not now! Every technical issue or question that I've had has now been resolved in this thread. I'll be converting to ELC but I have only about 500 miles on the Fleet Charge SCA right now.

In my opinion, GOOD CHOICE jayro88

Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Glad that the kind I got will work well.

After the flush the van is running about 10* cooler than it was, plus I was able to replace my high idle sensor.

I like the idea of being able to run the coolant longer without having to flush the system. My only concern is that I don't have a coolant filter, so will I still need to flush the system due to debris build up in the system? Should I not worry about it and just run it until I notice the coolant temps starting to creep up?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:53 AM
JoeF250
Tuned
The ELC's don't have as much stuff suspended in them. And offer better corrosion protection than the traditional coolants. If your system was flushed will Brie the change you may not have much for build up after the switch.

As a side note and don't anybody think I'm getting confused about which forum I'm in. The 6.0's with their tiny little highly efficient oil cooler are super sensitive to debris in the coolant, if using traditional SCA's a coolant filter is a must. With the ELC coolants oil cooler plugging seems to be less of an issue, and coolant filtration isn't strictly necessary, so long as the trucks system is well cleaned before the change.