1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Mono Springs for the Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Jet Jock
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First what are everyone's thoughts for monos on the rear. I am thinking about that as a solution to the handling shake I am getting (see post labled front end shimmy). seems like the original builder took the rear leafs apart and rebuilt the springs putting leafs in different order than they were and then clamping the long spring on top to a long leaf on bottom there by pulling the rear down some. What a dumb a**.

Second does anyone know a source for a set of monos? I am on the road and don't have any catalogs with me.

Bill

Old 09-02-2003, 10:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

Bill

Sorry for dominating all your threads. If you want to go ultra low, monos will get you down there. But I am not a fan of monos. You will get a better ride and handling from a stack with 4 or 5 leaves. I would rather see you pull a few leaves from a stock spring. You always have the extra leaves around to add or subtract. Reverse eye multileaf springs may also be available. Mid-Fifty and such all have stock springs. Do you have a local spring shop? That will be your best value.

I believe your 302 buddy RMF is up on this subject.

Old 09-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Jet Jock
Elder User

'fenders

Not a prob dominating my threads. I appreciate your input. I do have a local shop, I was wondering if mono was a better ride or better handling. I am not interested in getting lower. I do have a local shop that will be looking at the springs today.

Bill

Old 09-03-2003, 05:33 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts

If low isn't the goal, multis are the route to go IMO. If your not careful though, you'll be sky high in back with fresh leaves. That won't help your handling situation either

Old 09-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Jet Jock
Elder User

'fenders

good point. i told the spring shop i needed about the same height

bill

Old 09-03-2003, 03:04 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Mono Springs for the Rear

I know a guy who used mono springs on his front. He is not happy with the new ride quality. John

Old 09-03-2003, 08:28 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JetJock,

Sorry, been offline for a couple of days.....

I discussed the info you're lookin for a few days ago for someone else.

While we have yet to find anyone say anything good about Mono leaves (front or rear) - Sacramento-Vintage Ford (amoung others sell them with normal eye or reversed eye. For the rears, normal eyes drop her 3" from stock, the reversed eyes drop her 5".

They also sell the normal multi-leaf springs (as do many others) but they seem to be the only source (that I've found) for the reversed eye main leaves where you can buy JUST the main leaf and not the whole pack. The reversed eye main leaf will drop her about 2" below stock. ($65. each side plus all their surcharges, etc)

Later,

Old 09-03-2003, 11:31 PM
darkman
Posting Guru

I checked on the springs and found them for $65 plus $15 for living in the east. Something about a UPS region. What I wasn't clear on was is this the shipping charge?