1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Need help designing minor pinstriping

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:19 PM
pat420swed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help designing minor pinstriping

So I'm in the process of repainting my 72. I've decided to paint it a metallic pearl fire red and I'm planning on painting the "ford" letters on the tailgate in black.

Now the previous owner I bought the truck from painted the sport custom emblems black before I bought the truck and also blacked out the insert in the grill as well as the inner door pieces and the dash.

So I've been thinking of doing either some minor stripes or pinstripes on my front fenders and hood.

Now since I'm not a very creative person I'm asking that if anyone has seen any cool paint jobs with some creative designs or can think of some cool ideas could you please post them, I don't want to steal any ideas but i definitely do need something to work off of since like I said I'm not too creative.

thanks a lot guys

Old 05-04-2017, 02:32 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So, you've got red with black accents. Double black line out line the hood, front to back starting with the top edge of the front fender like the Smokey and The Bandit deluxe striping?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:49 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Metallic Pearl Fire Red? That sounds like a WAY COOL color. IMHO, befitting of a better accent color than black. I think Black on there would tame that red down. I think what ever color of metallic is going to be mixed in the paint is the accent color you should use. Silver metallic...silver accent paint. Gold metallic......gold accent paint color.
As far as the painted black emblems are concerned, I wonder if the PO painted over the chrome. Which will peal. If the chrome was removed 1st here is some info that might help. The CHROME spray paint you can buy in the big box parts stores does not turn out looking like chrome. (no surprise here) BUT, it does come out looking like semi polished aluminum. It makes it look like what ever you spray it on was made out of aluminum. Spraying clear over it ruins the effect. Emblems and letters sprayed with this paint would go good with silver accent paint or stripes IMHO.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 AM
pat420swed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Metallic Pearl Fire Red? That sounds like a WAY COOL color. IMHO, befitting of a better accent color than black. I think Black on there would tame that red down. I think what ever color of metallic is going to be mixed in the paint is the accent color you should use. Silver metallic...silver accent paint. Gold metallic......gold accent paint color.
As far as the painted black emblems are concerned, I wonder if the PO painted over the chrome. Which will peal. If the chrome was removed 1st here is some info that might help. The CHROME spray paint you can buy in the big box parts stores does not turn out looking like chrome. (no surprise here) BUT, it does come out looking like semi polished aluminum. It makes it look like what ever you spray it on was made out of aluminum. Spraying clear over it ruins the effect. Emblems and letters sprayed with this paint would go good with silver accent paint or stripes IMHO.
thats a pretty good idea Jeff, I like it. going to look more into it, thanks.

Not sure what the po did when he painted the emblems, I know he plastic dipped the grill as I was able to just peel that off when I brought it home, but I tried peeling the Emblens and they didn't seem like thy were done in plasti dip, I'll have to screw around with some different colours of paint on them while I wait for my paint to arrive