1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Van guys! Intercoolers/engine cooling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:02 PM
78fordwheelin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Van guys! Intercoolers/engine cooling

It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but I'm always around browsing. I've got a 96 PSD cargo van I've had about 6 months now. All stock except for muffler/soot trap delete, IDM mod, EPC mod, and some cushy '15 seats. Runs like a spanked ape at only 6k lbs with me in it.

The eventual goal is 500hp. And the biggest hurdle I see ahead is keeping everything at happy temperatures. As far as engine coolant, i don't think I'll have too much difficulty cramming a beefier radiator and a couple high capacity electric fans, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to anything.

As far as intercoolers, air to air is out of the question. Originally I was just thinking water/meth for simplicity and less engine bay mess, but being that the van is driven daily, I think that's out too. May still run a setup to use when I'm towing heavy or doggin it, but I think I'm pretty set a on water to air setup. The engine valley is going to be cleared of all the bs in front of the turbo, but I think it will still be too tight to fit a heat exchanger in there, batteries are going behind the drivers seat, and without a mechanical fan or fan shroud, I should have plenty of room on the drivers side if I can't shoehorn something into the valley. I shouldn't have a problem fitting the cooler behind the grille. But after some google searching, I've come across the idea of using the A/C system to cool the coolant well below ambient temps. Has anyone tried this with a 7.3? I was thinking instead of having a cooler behind the grille, swap my a/c system to a club wagon setup with dual zone, and have the rear evaporator core sitting in my resivoir. This would allow me to retain a/c and operate it separately from my fluid cooler.