2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:58 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

First off I am new to this forum and I'm not excited for this to be my first post. I am a new Ford F150 owner. It is my first truck and I am hoping this will not be a sad and frustrating experience. I picked up my Certified Preowned 2015 F150 Platinum from a dealer in NY (I am in PA). I drove multiple Platinums and this was the best one by far, clean, ran great, functioned well, minor scratches, clean underneath, clean under the hood, and clean vehicle history report. I mean Ford is certifying it right!? 27,000 miles on it. I have had the truck for 2-3 weeks and I love it! SO here is where things get interesting.

The morning after I brought it home I got in and started it up, cold morning, and it just made a loud rattling noise for 3-5 seconds. I thought "that was odd?". So I use forums all the time because they are great for information and help from people that have seen it all. I found that it the noise, most likely was caused by timing chains from TSB - 15-0131. So, I said okay, no problem. Ill get into the dealer and let them know in a week or so. Not a big deal. It didn't happen all the time and it SHOULD be covered under warranty.

REALLY INTERESTING...I ordered a AFE DRY filter to replace the nasty dirty one that the dealer in NY did not replace when they did their "172 point inspection". Still not a big deal it was $70.00. I also had read that ford was gapping their plugs too high .040 and a stock none tuned 3.5L ran better at .030. SO I said no problem, I went and got Ford plugs and new boots. I was real excited to get my truck running smooth and in optimal efficiency and too my surprise when I removed the oil cap to take off the engine cover...OIL SLUDGE...Like really thick...I though man thats crazy...WHAT THE HELL???

I went ahead and did the plugs and the filter but then pulled the dip stick and it was caked with sludge...I cleaned it off and stuck it back in and pulled it out...about an inch of sludge on the bottom of the stick and NOTHING ELSE! Now, I'm panicking....and can't sleep (5am est). I did put 3 quarts of 5w30 in it and at least got it on the stick and showing full. I am going to call one of the local dealers here today and see when I can get it in, but I'm afraid from reading some other threads my motor is trashed and the dealer is going to fight me on it as a "neglect of the previous owner". I have the Carfax on the truck showing it was serviced by a Ford dealer at 14K Looks like first owner didn't take delivery until 4K (probably a demo) and again 25K. When i picked up the truck it had 99% oil life and 0 hours on the new oil...

SO here are my questions -

Do I attempt to do an oil change or is FORD going to try and use that to void my warranty? Or are they going to try and use the neglect (I mean the guy did have it serviced) of the previous owner to void the warranty?

Do I stop driving it till it gets in to not do anymore damage? But I need to drive to work...???

Do I just say F*** it, its going to be covered and I need to drive it.

Do I start looking for a good lawyer cause Ford is just going to give me the BS run around...

I am new to Ford and new to the truck scene, but I am not new to cars or domestics...owned multiple Saturns, Chevys, VW, Chryslers, Audis, etc. But I was really worried about this when I sold my Audi SUV and I'm just hoping someone can give me some input on their thoughts and maybe a ray of hope that this isn't going to be a s***show getting this taken care of.

Thanks for any input or help with this. I just really thought I was buying a great truck and I still hope it is and that FORD will come through and take care of this and back their product and their warranty.

I've attached the pictures I took as well. Thanks again!

Attached Images     
Old 04-27-2017, 05:46 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Welcome and sorry to read of your issues. I wouldn't do a thing to it except get it right back into the dealer for a check up.

Make sure you report the timing chain rattle, if nothing else, that will at least get the front of the engine torn down.

How long in time and miles is your CPO warranty good for?

Old 04-27-2017, 06:12 AM
JKBrad
Received 804 Likes on 589 Posts
A scope needs to be put it the engine to determine the extent of sludging. It occurs when people drive short trips never getting the engine up to operating temperature and it was never driven in such a way as to burn off excess condensation (a good hard run once up to temp).

If it's determined that the timing chain needs replaced, they should clean up the sludge while they're in there. It's a certified vehicle, so Ford guarantees the vehicle is good and backs it with a warranty.

If you go to BITOG.com you will see that sludged engines can be cleaned very effectively with a high quality synthetic oil and short oil change cycles. Never go by the oil life monitor BTW, except to change it at 50% life.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Thank you guys! That puts a glimmer of hope into my morning! I am only 1,900 miles into my Certified warranty. I am going to clal one of the local dealers this morning and see if they can get it in ASAP and if I should even still be driving it... I will say with new plugs, filter, and having oil in it...my MPG went up a good amount this monring while I was headed to work.

I'm just hoping this sludge isnt going to or has already destroyed my engine. Once again, Thank you and I will let you knwo what the dealer says when they open.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:29 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
I would be getting back to the dealer asap and raising hell as to why that was not caught during inspections. looks like that truck hasn't had an oil change in 27K! Its a CPO so they should not give you any grief about the previous owners abuse, but good luck.

Old 04-27-2017, 07:54 AM
jpr38057
Elder User
As Terry said, you need to be going back to the dealer that sold you the truck. The main thing that certified pre-owned means is that the DEALER performed the inspection to certify it. And just because they say it's certified doesn't mean it's Ford certified. Most of the used cars we sell are certified pre-owned, but not Ford certified. Even if the truck is Ford certified, Ford will put it right back on the dealer because they did the inspection.

They reason for engine rattle is there is too little oil getting to the cam phasers due to the sludge.

Call the dealer that sold you the truck.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:06 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
thanks jpr. I called the sales guy I bought it from and left him a message. I am waiting till they call me back. I have it going into a local dealer since I have the service records, but I dont know if that is going to matter to them.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:02 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

OP -- Let's not forget that the truck also has the FORD warranty remaining. You should still have the Powertrain...and maybe the 3yr bumper2bumper (depending on truck going into service).

The engine will probably be fine after it is cleaned out.

Here is a GREAT example to all potential owners of any used vehicle. Make sure to check the oil level and oil cap prior to purchase. A very important component of the inspection process.

Good luck and welcome to FTE!!

biz

Old 04-27-2017, 11:13 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Originally Posted by biz4two
OP -- Let's not forget that the truck also has the FORD warranty remaining. You should still have the Powertrain...and maybe the 3yr bumper2bumper (depending on truck going into service).

The engine will probably be fine after it is cleaned out.

Here is a GREAT example to all potential owners of any used vehicle. Make sure to check the oil level and oil cap prior to purchase. A very important component of the inspection process.

Good luck and welcome to FTE!!

biz
Thanks. I am hoping so since it still has the remainder of the Factory warranty and still 10,000k on the CPO bumper to bumper and the factory bumper to bumber. I do not know how I can be held responsible for either previous owner neglect, or the fact that the Ford dealer I bought it from Certified it and reset the oil life cycle without actually checking the oil and or not following thier "172 point inspection". I am keeping a log of what I have done nad who I tlaked to here is what i have...I removed the names of the dealers... Oh yeah and I am putting the old filter back in it...should I put the old Plugs back in as well???? is it worth it?

4/27/17
Called LOCAL FORD DEALER and spoke with Sales Associate and explained the issues I was having. They told me that since it was not bough from them and I only have 1900 miles on it from the NY dealer they said that I needed to call them. I explained I bought it as a “Ford Certified Preowned” and they said it didn’t matter if it was neglect from the previous user. I needed to take it to back to the dealer I bought it from. I explained I do have the Carfax that shows the service history on the vehicle. The Service Associate then put me on hold and went to the Service Manager and said if I had the Service history that showed service they would take care of it. I scheduled an appointment for Monday morning.

I then called NY (Where I purchased) Ford and left a VM for Nick and the General Sales Manager Ed. 11am I called back and spoke to Kevin and Used Sales Manager Matt. Matt assured me that this would get taken care of. Suggestions would be take it to a local dealer or them and said obviously I can’t bring it to them. He said find out form the local dealer what needs done and let Matt know and they would step up to the plate and take care of it. They said to keep my appointment with LOCAL FORD DEALER and call them when they figure out what the issue is. I told him that’s great to hear and really appreciate someone assuring me they would stand behind their product. Matt said he was going to talk to the Service Manager and see if hes seen something like this before and call me back.

In between these calls I called (Origianl Sold and traded in dealer) Ford and asked for the service records on the vehicle and they said they only had a warranty repair for the sunroof slides and a installation of a toneau cover and removal. But that’s not what showed on the carfax. Matt from NY (Where I purchased) ford said he was going to call them and talk to them about getting ALL the records.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:43 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Deleted Post due to incorrect info. Appreciate the correction...

biz

Last edited by biz4two; 04-28-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: incorrect info provided.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:45 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Arrow

Also, yes having the dirty air filter back installed is a good thing.

I would just take pictures of old spark plugs...and maybe take them in to the service department...just so they could see condition. But...I would not reinstall...IMHO.

biz

Old 04-27-2017, 12:48 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
FORD is a network of dealers, etc. So, all work performed by FORD...is in the system. So...your local dealer will have ALL the info they need based on the VIN of the vehicle.

All the dealers calling each other for history...is nice...but probably not really necessary. All FORD service has a history. So...no worries there.

Glad to hear that FORD is going to resolve the issue! Please keep us informed...

I always like a happy ending!

biz
Thats what I thought, but they told me that they can't see other srevice record because every dealer has thier own database. I was confussed. I work in Medical - IT that doesnt sound right...??? Hopefully were over the dancing game and this can just get resolved...I dont want to get my hopes up.

biz4two. I dont want to take any chances. So they are back in there with the old air filter... but i wish I didnt have to cause I got SUCH better gas mileage just coming to work this morning with new plugs, boots, and clean filter...it was amazing!

Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
FORD is a network of dealers, etc. So, all work performed by FORD...is in the system. So...your local dealer will have ALL the info they need based on the VIN of the vehicle.

All the dealers calling each other for history...is nice...but probably not really necessary. All FORD service has a history. So...no worries there.

Glad to hear that FORD is going to resolve the issue! Please keep us informed...

I always like a happy ending!

biz
That would be incorrect. The only work performed by a dealer that can be seen by all dealers is warranty repairs. We can not see a service (oil change) history done at another dealer.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
My only worry would be the turbos, they need oil or they will die fast. I would request they at least check for shaft play on them.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Originally Posted by Terryd91
My only worry would be the turbos, they need oil or they will die fast. I would request they at least check for shaft play on them.
Good thought. I was thinking about this and I am putting together a list of things I want checked based on thier analysis and solution.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!