2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 AM
Terryd91
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by function12
The inspection also show three people that have to sign off. I don't think you would get three people to all lie. Maybe but doubtful.
I would ask for their printed names if you can't read the signatures. I would bet one of them recently left the company.
I could see it happening. Tech just straight lines the checklist and hands it off, manager assumes the Tech actually did his job and signs, sales manager assumes the service manager is making his employees do their job and signs too.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by function12
The inspection also show three people that have to sign off. I don't think you would get three people to all lie. Maybe but doubtful.
I would ask for their printed names if you can't read the signatures. I would bet one of them recently left the company.
It could be one person blindly agreeing with someone else, who blindly agrees with whoever (if one person) inspected the truck. The certification process could be so common for that dealer that this has been their routine for quite some time. It also scares me to think about what other problems could be lurking in other "CPO'ed" vehicles that came from that dealer.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CarbonPlatinum34
Sorry to hear about your wrist. So I think there are points made by everyone. However, the main issue I am arguing is that the selling dealer neglected to actually DO the 172 inspection...to Certify this truck to get more money out of it. This is a fraudulant claim by the selling dealer and they should be held responsible for it. Will Ford hold them to theat....I hope so, but I am not holding my breath. I am also optimistic that the selling dealer wants to do the right thing in this instance, but I can't assume that either. IF they come back with an inspection sheet I would be VERY VERY interested to see what they mark down for 89, 103, and 118. What I would also like to see is what they put for 4 and 38 (if they try and forge it and they no longer have my truck to get the ID number.) So if they didn't do the inspection its fraud...period...

IF they did and this all was missed then, if I was Ford, I would want some answers to why... This type of behavior, if acceptable by Ford, makes there CPO program worthless and I will be spreading that word...

Rigth now I am not jumping to conclusions and playing it out day by day. Will I get screwed on this...maybe...but Im getting screwed even if I dont try so...here we are...
I see your point and understand the point Tom is alluding to, for you, you purchased a CPO from Ford to avoid this exact kind of issue from say, Bubba's used cars and "pick a part" Salvage yard....and for you and everyone else, there is the reasonable expectation that a manufacturer's CPO is as good as new, or that's how it's marketed. But, as Tom stated (or how I interpreted it) when you get down to the brass tacks, the legalese or whatever, you could very well get screwed. But, I have an innate problem with folks not doing what they say they'll do, ie: the manner in which the CPO program is presented. I'd probably get screwed also because, they will know of my displeasure, I will, if for no other reason than to let them know I'm on to them, pretty much throw a fit after all other recourse has failed. To me, the old adage "you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything", rings true. I'm not suggesting you immediately go to NY and go thru the dealership like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, but folks will naturally continue to screw folks as long as they can get away with it. I know you can attract more flies with honey, but I have only so much patience.
Hopefully you can get an acceptable solution, I wouldn't however push the new engine too much, I really don't see that happening, but I would, as someone else posted, push for a lifetime power train warranty, that specifies work to be performed at ANY dealer, I think your selling dealership owes you that much at a minimum.
Sorry to hear about your issues and wish you the best of luck...

Also, I hope you don't think poorly of Ford trucks as this is a dealership issue, not the manufacturer.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Christian's1988Ford
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Another good question to ask--just to see just how 'thorough' that dealer was with the checklist--is how full the tank was when you drove it off the lot. The checklist specifically states that it needs to have a full tank in order to be CPO. You may not remember something like that, it's always another point to argue, even if you have no evidence.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 AM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RigTrash601
I see your point and understand the point Tom is alluding to, for you, you purchased a CPO from Ford to avoid this exact kind of issue from say, Bubba's used cars and "pick a part" Salvage yard....and for you and everyone else, there is the reasonable expectation that a manufacturer's CPO is as good as new, or that's how it's marketed. But, as Tom stated (or how I interpreted it) when you get down to the brass tacks, the legalese or whatever, you could very well get screwed. But, I have an innate problem with folks not doing what they say they'll do, ie: the manner in which the CPO program is presented. I'd probably get screwed also because, they will know of my displeasure, I will, if for no other reason than to let them know I'm on to them, pretty much throw a fit after all other recourse has failed. To me, the old adage "you have to stand for something or you'll fall for anything", rings true. I'm not suggesting you immediately go to NY and go thru the dealership like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon, but folks will naturally continue to screw folks as long as they can get away with it. I know you can attract more flies with honey, but I have only so much patience.
Hopefully you can get an acceptable solution, I wouldn't however push the new engine too much, I really don't see that happening, but I would, as someone else posted, push for a lifetime power train warranty, that specifies work to be performed at ANY dealer, I think your selling dealership owes you that much at a minimum.
Sorry to hear about your issues and wish you the best of luck...

Also, I hope you don't think poorly of Ford trucks as this is a dealership issue, not the manufacturer.
Thanks, I areally aprpeciate it. I agree with you quote "you stand for something, or you fall for everything" almost explains this situation perfectly. I've never been one to take anything laying down or just except things for what they are. I've always been more concerend about the affect of what I have been through and the way I have been treated and how others who are not as confident and knowledgeable will get taken, have been taken, or are going to get taken by someone not doing thier job and passing it on.

Will I get screwed in this...maybe, but hopefully whoever is responsible will think teice about signing something or cutting corners...

I dont think poorly of Ford trucks. I understand this is neglect from the previous owner and a fraudulent inspection...but based on Fords response to this will make me look hard at the brand and what they stand for and what thier Certified Program actually means...

Old 05-02-2017, 03:57 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
Oh please tell me I am not the only one that thinks this is fake...The fact that it just ended up in my email after I left another VM on the Sales Manager phone...I'm pissed and amused at the same time...

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
172 Point Inspection.pdf (1.19 MB, 187 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM
jpr38057
Elder User
Originally Posted by JTRH
Any and all dealers that are telling you they can't warranty anything on the truck just don't want the hassle. A CPO warranty is essentially the same thing as a new car warranty, that's why they're 'supposed' to do the huge inspection on it. They can warranty anything that's covered whether it was done at their dealership or not. Like other's have said, do not take anything less than a new motor. If they won't give you a new motor fight for a buyback and see if Ford will let you use X or D plan pricing on a new purchase.
I have said this once and I will say it again. As a dealer, we don't have to warranty anything that is caused by negligence whether CPO or not.. The OP said the oil filter on the truck was black. That tells me the oil has never been changed. That is neglect.

One flag on the carfax is that the truck was sold at auction.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Looks just like mine did, as well as every other certified preowned car I've ever purchased. They normally date them, though.

CPO is a glorified warranty, that is sold at a better price than a regular ESP, with a checklist like this to give the customer the impression that the vehicle was checked over. Which almost every dealer, certified or otherwise, will do to some degree with or without a checklist. Looks like your dealer didn't.

The warranty is the only thing in the program that gives you anything other than a warm fuzzy. A warranty you seem determined to have completely voided. Please don't misunderstand, I feel for your situation, but I think you will give yourself nothing but grief. Your engine had a very traumatic childhood, but with frequent maintenance and good oil's the sludge will likely dissipate, in the engine could still see a full life. If not, you really want that warranty to be in effect to take care of it.

I'd be pissed about all of this if I were you, and I might even contact the Better Business Bureau and leave a bunch of nasty reviews about the situation. The absolute last thing in the world I would do would be to contact Ford motor company. I have never seen Ford take responsibility for inappropriate actions of a dealer, or negligence of a former owner. I honestly hope you prove me wrong.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:42 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This is insanity; I started reading this thread curious about what could cause sludge. The selling dealer is not be trusted with anything. Some "technician" signed off on changing the oil and filter and finding no sludge... Two words: Lawyer, Buyback.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:38 PM
function12
More Turbo
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CarbonPlatinum34
Oh please tell me I am not the only one that thinks this is fake...The fact that it just ended up in my email after I left another VM on the Sales Manager phone...I'm pissed and amused at the same time...
I find it hard to believe not one of them dated it. I say fake!! I sure hope someone steps up to the plate to help out. If it were me. I would want them to take the truck back. This truck will never be right in your mind. Physically, who knows..

Old 05-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Frdtrkrul
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
The "technician" and managers pencil whipped the sheet just to push it out the door and make a quick profit. Not the first person this has happened to and not the last. Some dealers have dialed back the odometer and sold a truck with "advertised" less mileage than reality. Just because a dealer is reputable, does not mean they actually are. A buy back might be a better bet. People should take this as a warning to check the vehicle over, even take it to a mechanic you know and have them do a prepurchase inspection, might save you a ton of headache and money in the long run.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:02 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jpr38057
I have said this once and I will say it again. As a dealer, we don't have to warranty anything that is caused by negligence whether CPO or not.. The OP said the oil filter on the truck was black. That tells me the oil has never been changed. That is neglect.

One flag on the carfax is that the truck was sold at auction.
That's what I was thinking with the black oil filter, the last 3 half tons that I've had originally had a black oil filter on it prior to the first oil change.

But, while I agree it is neglect on the original owners part, it doesn't take away from the fact that the OP, in good faith, purchased a truck that a Ford dealership claimed had been completely gone through from bumper to bumper AND that they had changed the oil and filter. Warranty or not, the responsibility lies with the selling dealership, they sold a vehicle under false pretenses. Period.
And People wonder why dealerships have a bad reputation......

Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM
CarbonPlatinum34
Junior User
5/2/17
3pm - I received a call from Ford Corporate and the rep that I contacted tried reaching out multiple times today and was not successful in getting ahold of anyone at the dealer. She is typing up her feedback and sending it up the chain to have them reach out and light a fire under the dealer to respond. I told her I spoke to the dealer last night and repeated my conversation from above. She said she would be sending all of this up and having Corporate reach out to the dealer.

I called the NY dealer and got transferred to Matt’s Voicemail.

I received the 172 Inspection from NY Dealer.

4:50pm – Local dealer called and said they were still working on my truck and the Assistant Service Manager has been working with Ford and the Service Manager in Levittown to get all of this worked out and taken care of. They want to run a few more tests tomorrow morning to see if this motor is a sound motor and make sure there is no head gasket leaks or coolant leaks into the motor. I told that that is fine and I really appreciate their help with all of this. I told them “I got the 172 point inspection and I sent it to you. I really just think its forged, but I don’t know. The ASM and you can take a look at it and see what they are saying they did.” He said “Yeah I saw it, I will let the ASM know I have it and have him take a look at it for you. The ASM will be giving you a call tomorrow morning and letting you know what he finds out and what we need to do to get this resolved.” I expressed my thanks and appreciation on how they were handling all of this for me.

8pm – I received a call from Matt and he asked, “if I had gotten the copy of the inspection?” Me being exhausted from a long day and tired of this whole situation said “Yeah Matt I got it.” I said “I guess my dealer here is working with you Service Manager up there, are you aware of that?” He said, “Yeah, I referred my Service Manager to your dealers to help and see what we needed to do to get this resolved.” I said “Oh Okay, well I guess my dealer is still trying to figure out if this is a sound motor. They want to run a few more tests tomorrow to make sure the motor is sound and this truck is still reliable. They want to make sure the head gaskets aren’t leaking and there is no coolant getting into the oil.” He said “Okay.” I said, “Once they call me I will give you a call and let you know.” He said “ Yeah I will be checking with my service manager for updates as well.” ME really just wanting to tell him I think his inspection he sent me is forged…I said, “Matt, out of curiosity, why didn’t you date it?” He said “I don’t usually date them when I sign them.” I said, “Oh…okay. What didn’t the service manager sign it?” He said “because he’s in another building so he didn’t sign it.” I said, “Oh…okay” I’m still exhausted and trying to figure out a way to tell him this whole thing is bogus without offending him and getting into a yelling match I said “ Matt, when you guys do a 172 point inspection, is it a requirement that the oil and the filter get changed on the vehicle, no matter what?” He responded “Yes it is” I said “Okay, so why does my inspection say it had it done, but I have an aftermarket filter on my truck?” All of this said calmly as a concerned customer… He responded “We are going to be sitting down with the technician tomorrow to ask him about that. He is on vacation and comes back tomorrow and the Service Manager and I are going to be sitting down with him and questioning him about this inspection.” I said, “okay…I don’t want to get into an argument about the legitimacy of this document, but how does the technician check the oil change and filter change passed without obviously doing it. And how does checking for sludge, which I have get overlooked, and my dirty air filter. I mean I am assuming the air filter even the least bit dirty is automatically replaced? Correct?” he responded, “Yes it does.” FINALLY SOME ANSWERS! I said, “Okay, so let me ask you this. This is supposed to be my 10 year truck, If this motor can be salvaged and the extent of the damage is not severe at all then I’m happy with getting it all cleaned up, FULLY checked and fixed, BUT only if this is still my 10 year truck which is what I paid for and why I paid for a Certified Preowned. If it is not, then we will be having a different conversation…However, if this was you and your family’s safety in question, would you think its crazy for me to ask for my dealer to perform the 172 point inspection that your technician obviously didn’t do. I’m just very concerned about what else may have been missed? I don’t think that’s an outrageous question or a concern based on the evidence here.” He said “So you want to know if you could have your dealer perform the 172 point inspection and have us cover the cost or whatever on it?” I said, “Yes” He said, “ Can you send me an email with all of your concerns and questions like this so I can go over your concerns with the technician who did the inspection and the Service Manager so that I can tell them…These are the customers concerns and this is what he would like to have done if he is going to keep the truck.” I said, “I would be happy to send you an email and I will even include the pictures of the filters and oil so you have them.” He said, “Okay, no problem.” I said “Listen, I appreciate you calling me and talking this out with me. I am really hoping we can just get this taken care of and all of this can go away and we can have a good relationship after this. If we find out this truck isn’t my 10 year truck then we will have to look at what comes next.” He said, “Okay and we will take care of it.”

SO after all of this I am exhausted mentally...I am trying to be nice and just concerned, but when I received the Inspection and it was filled out the way it was...with no phone call or anything...I just couldn't take it...I should have cooled off before I posted, but my mistake. Either way it obviously wasn't done and they know it. I haven't started typing the email to him yet because I'm tired of typing and I will get it to him by the morning. I hope I get an answer at least soon so I know which way this is going. Hopefully tomorrow I will get some more answers from my dealer and we can go from there. Thanks all again for your support and help with all of this...Oh and don't think just because Im tired I'm ready to give up...Im not...just tired of the game, but I feel we are coming to the final quarter...Ill keep you all posted! Thanks again!

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
I'd have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome after all that typing!

I say, relax and consume a couple of nice cold adult beverages! I'll check back in tomorrow as the saga continues, good luck my friend

Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
Me personally, I would not send any email to the selling dealer "at this point" but that's me. I think your best bet is your local Ford dealer.

Depending on what your local Ford dealer says, should give you some direction.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Oil Sludge at 28K on my 3week old CPO 2015 Platinum...?!