2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How prevalent are the issues...REALLY?

Old 05-21-2017, 10:31 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Congratulations! The 3v 4.6 is a fine engine just not a tire roaster or tow monster which you didn't need anyway. Glad you found a clean low mile truck. Should provide many years and miles of service.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM
30coupe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
Congratulations! The 3v 4.6 is a fine engine just not a tire roaster or tow monster which you didn't need anyway. Glad you found a clean low mile truck. Should provide many years and miles of service.
Thanks! I'm sure the pontoon will be no problem, and if we ever do get another camper, it won't be very big anyway for just the two of us. As far as the tire roasting thing, I kind of have to disagree. It seems to break them loose pretty easily from a stop sign with no weight in the box. Remember, I'm coming from a six-banger, so I have to learn to lighten the right foot a bit.

At my age, I'm more interested in comfort and economy that burning rubber anyway. lol! Dang 18" tires are expensive!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:34 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by 30coupe
Thanks! I'm sure the pontoon will be no problem, and if we ever do get another camper, it won't be very big anyway for just the two of us. As far as the tire roasting thing, I kind of have to disagree. It seems to break them loose pretty easily from a stop sign with no weight in the box. Remember, I'm coming from a six-banger, so I have to learn to lighten the right foot a bit.

At my age, I'm more interested in comfort and economy that burning rubber anyway. lol! Dang 18" tires are expensive!

In 2009 I remember driving some of the new 4.6 trucks and being very surprised at how peppy they were.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:51 PM
30coupe
Junior User
Yeah, it will smoke the '98 Expy with the 5.4 2V and except for the fact that it revs a bit more, I can't tell much difference from my '05 F150 with the 5.4, although it has been about 4 years since I had that, so my memory may be fuzzy. I do think the 6 speed transmission makes a big difference with its granny low first gear.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:59 PM
cb_13
Fleet Mechanic
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts
Yeah, it will smoke the '98 Expy with the 5.4 2V and except for the fact that it revs a bit more, I can't tell much difference from my '05 F150 with the 5.4, although it has been about 4 years since I had that, so my memory may be fuzzy. I do think the 6 speed transmission makes a big difference with its granny low first gear.
The 6 speed really helped the 4.6 and 5.4 3v as well. The 09-10 5.4's ran much better than the 04-08's with the 4r75.

Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 PM
30coupe
Junior User
Not only does the 6 speed improve performance, it also really helps the mileage as well. I've had trucks for the past 46 years, from Rangers to a 3/4 ton Dodge CTD, and I never would have dreamed I could get the fuel economy these modern 1/2 ton trucks get. Andy they do it without sacrificing performance...amazing and awesome!

Old 05-22-2017, 05:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I had an o4 with the 4.6 in it. it was an outstanding motor and ran well. I miss that truck.

I towed at it upper limit a lot and had to trade it in. But it held it own.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 AM
OTL_himself
Elder User

I'm not a real fan of all the chrome, but I'm adjusting to it.

Congrats, it looks like you got yourself an outstanding truck. Great choice! I agree with you about the chrome; my usual saying is "I like chrome just fine....on other people's rides." It's one of those things I can live with already being on a vehicle I buy, but I've never been one to add more. Keep us posted on how it works out for you and enjoy. Happy for you

Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM
30coupe
Junior User
Originally Posted by OTL_himself
Congrats, it looks like you got yourself an outstanding truck. Great choice! I agree with you about the chrome; my usual saying is "I like chrome just fine....on other people's rides." It's one of those things I can live with already being on a vehicle I buy, but I've never been one to add more. Keep us posted on how it works out for you and enjoy. Happy for you
Thanks, OTL! I'm sure my eldest son will love it, especially the chrome wheels...he's kind of obsessed with rims for some reason. To me, it's one of those unnecessary items on a pickup like carpet on the floors, which this one also has. What bugs me about Ford is that, not only do they want to put carpet on the floors, but the darn floor mats they put over it are carpet as well! I guess most pickups end up being used as cars apparently, but mine are out in the country where there is mud, dust, snow, etc. This one will soon have rubber mats that I can pull out and hose off.

So far the only mod I've had to do was to pull off the inside tailgate cover and lubricate the latch. I don't think that had been done since she rolled out of the plant in Kansas City! I don't know how some guys can tolerate things like that. It felt like it was going to break off before it unlatched. Now it's smooth as butter!

I'll try to keep you guys updated. I need to post some pics in the "Show Us Your F150" thread I guess. Right now, she's a little dirty. Seems like it rains every day here lately. I live on a gravel road, so right now her pretty red sides are kind of a dull tan.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:39 PM
OTL_himself
Elder User

Front Left (driver's side)

Rear Right (passenger side)

Front Right (passenger side)

Rear Left (driver's side)

This one will soon have rubber mats that I can pull out and hose off.

I just purchased the WeatherTech floor liners for my '13 STX with the SCab. I expect your truck would get a similar, if not identical offering. Set me back $257 after shipping. You can do a little better than that on Amazon and the like, but I've heard going that route can run you into issues with fitment, as well as issues with honoring the lifetime warranty, should you ever have to call upon that. I hear Michelin makes a product called EdgeLiner which is great as well. Here's how the WeatherTech floor liners look in mine. For the amount of coverage you get, I say it's well worth the money spent.

Old 05-22-2017, 04:46 PM
30coupe
Junior User
I like the looks of that! The fact that they are full width instead of four pieces looks like a particularly good idea. Most of the darn things want to crawl out the door all the time otherwise, not to mention the fact that there is no coverage over the transmission hump. I'll have to get the Expy sold for sure before the new floor mats happen though.

Too bad your STX came with the carpeting. I've seen them with and without, so it must not be standard on the STX.

Thanks for the tip. Those are the best thing I've seen so far.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Too bad your STX came with the carpeting. I've seen them with and without, so it must not be standard on the STX.
Mine did too. And you are correct, carpet was optional on the STX trim (still is on the '17s)

Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 AM
OTL_himself
Elder User
I like the looks of that! The fact that they are full width instead of four pieces looks like a particularly good idea. Most of the darn things want to crawl out the door all the time otherwise, not to mention the fact that there is no coverage over the transmission hump. I'll have to get the Expy sold for sure before the new floor mats happen though.

Thanks for the tip. Those are the best thing I've seen so far.

I also looked at the Michelin Edgeliners, which would also have been a great choice, but I sided with the WeatherTech for two reasons. The smaller reason was WeatherTech seemed a lot more clear and forward regarding their lifetime warranty, which gave me a lot more confidence. The bigger reason was WeatherTech's liner to cover the front was one single piece, since I don't have a center console. Michelin's counterpart to that would be liners for both sides combined with a third piece they sell to go over the hump. I far preferred the idea of having one single, solid piece. For the sake of full disclosure, however, the groove depth and design on the Michelin looks very impressive, and an argument can definitely be made to side with that over the 3-piece vs. 1-piece argument. I say you really can't go wrong either way.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:00 PM
30coupe
Junior User
I just looked up the Michelin Edgeliners and can give one more reason to choose the Weathertechs: price. Michelin wants $50 more for the full set!

That's a lot for an old, retired guy!

Old 05-23-2017, 02:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,400 Likes on 997 Posts
I have the Michelin Edgeliners in my SD. They are pricey, but well worth it.

I also have the center console so they work well.

I would recommend them over the weathertech if you have the console.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How prevalent are the issues...REALLY?