Replace Side Marker/Clearance Lights with LED?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 07:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,671 Likes on 2,741 Posts
Replace Side Marker/Clearance Lights with LED?

I have a few marker lights that appear to have warped and they don't seem to want to fasten back down. I would like to replace them with LED fixtures. I need to get on this quickly as I'm pretty sure water has already got into the trailer (the screws are rusted and won't hold). I tried to replace them with some el-cheapo, straight from China markers but they weren't the right size (too small) and didn't put out much light.

These units from Amazon are the correct overall size and have the correct center-to-center screw hole dimensions. But there is no lumen output specification to compare them against other products.

http://a.co/a7zlUWW

If you've replaced your lights and like what you got could you let me know which ones you bought?

Old 04-17-2017, 06:25 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I re-used the OE Bargman fixtures and swapped out the filament bulbs for LED bulbs of the len's color (specifically, amber LED in back of an amber lens and red LED in back of a red lens). Bought the LED's off of Amazon.

Here is what I went with for the amber:
Amazon Amazon

The reds I bought are no longer available, so here is a listing that I'd go with if I had to buy another batch of red's:
Amazon Amazon

Reasoning to stick with the original fixture was that I would not have to worry about finding a one-off LED fixture in case something whacked the trailer. Also, replacement lens are still commonly available for my fixtures.

While not part of the original question, I did the same thing with the tail lights and just switched the bulbs over to LED. My go-to source for that type of application is V-leds. V-leds is a bit more expensive and worth it from a quality / durability and customer service perspective.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
My fixtures are toast. The bases are warped and the lenses aren't sitting flush on the base. I had already switched the bulbs to LED. Kind of a waste considering that the fixtures are in bad shape.

Finding new fixtures has been a bit of work. I wanted new sealed units that had 3" centers for the screws, with the wires coming out in the center of the light. It looks like very few fixtures come with the gasket any more. I'll be busy with the caulk.

Old 04-18-2017, 06:37 AM
JayTheCPA
Laughing Gas
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Have not had the joy of replacing the fixture yet.

Have had the joy of fixing a PO's work from a LED fixture conversion on a former trailer. Make sure the weep holes are on the *bottom* side of the mount and *not* covered by caulk. After I fixed those two issues, the moldy smell and leak magically disappeared ;-)

Level of effort for the fixture replacement (based on my repair experience) is about the same as the side-light replacement that you did a few months ago; only difference is doing it on a ladder

What kind of fixtures are currently on the RV? If they are Bargman's, the fixtures are relatively inexpensive where the bonus is that you may re-use the LED bulbs.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:53 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I know the brake/turn and backup lights are Bargman. I've ordered LED replacements for those also. The reverse lights are fairly dim. Now that I have a backup camera on the back of the trailer, having enough light to see by when backing up is more important.