1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

3rd Gear Strugles

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:01 PM
PEZLO
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gear Strugles

My 4 speed spur gear trans won't smoothly let me get to 3rd, all the other gears are not a problem (typically). The best I've been able to do is when I double clutch to 3rd around 15 mph, I ever so slightly start into third, when I'm sure I'm barely in I have to really lean on the shifter all the way to the right as I shift up. Even with this technique I usually get a bit of a grind at best. I flipped my worn T shaped shift pin which tightened up a lot of slack but 3rd is still a small grind at best.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

Old 04-14-2017, 09:08 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
I'd say 15 mph sounds a little fast for the shift to 3rd. I have a 4 speed like yours, and I usually start in 2nd and make the shift to 3rd at under 10 mph. If you limit engine speed and slowly ease the transmission into the next gear, you don't have to double clutch. I up shift as soon as possible without "lugging" the engine. Down shifting--that's another story. I need to double clutch and often there's still some grinding involved. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:06 AM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
I'd say 15 mph sounds a little fast for the shift to 3rd. I have a 4 speed like yours, and I usually start in 2nd and make the shift to 3rd at under 10 mph. If you limit engine speed and slowly ease the transmission into the next gear, you don't have to double clutch. I up shift as soon as possible without "lugging" the engine. Down shifting--that's another story. I need to double clutch and often there's still some grinding involved. Good luck.
Yep, been there on that and i agree 100%. The issue i had was down shifting and i never really could get the hang of it. With all the hills and mountains around here it became quite a struggle so i found a T87D HD 3sp (sync'd) and life is better now

Old 04-14-2017, 11:08 AM
PEZLO
5th Wheeling
It was a long day, as you can tell by the misspelling in my title. Your actually correct, it is closer to 10 MPH when I attempt the shift to 3rd. I'll try shifting even sooner to see where that gets me.
Thanks!

Old 04-14-2017, 11:48 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Of course your first instinct is to blame your own ability to double clutch properly. But there can be other things that contribute to the problem.
  1. Ford says to use straight 140W lube not multi-viscosity lube like 85-140W.
  2. If your engine has not run for years to may have a rough pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft. It will need to be replaced.
  3. Of course clutch adjustment can contribute also. Easily checked by making sure that there is about 1" of movement of the pedal from the top before the clutch starts to be engaged.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:02 PM
PEZLO
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by petemcl
Of course your first instinct is to blame your own ability to double clutch properly. But there can be other things that contribute to the problem.
  2. If your engine has not run for years to may have a rough pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft. It will need to be replaced.
  3. Of course clutch adjustment can contribute also. Easily checked by making sure that there is about 1" of movement of the pedal from the top before the clutch starts to be engaged.
Thanks Pete,

I just changed the transmission oil and was talked out of using 140w for 90w gear oil. They "old car guy" said if I was having shifting problems it would only be more difficult with 140w. Was this a mistake on my part, should I have stuck with the 140w?

Paul

Old 04-14-2017, 12:51 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by PEZLO
Thanks Pete,

I just changed the transmission oil and was talked out of using 140w for 90w gear oil. They "old car guy" said if I was having shifting problems it would only be more difficult with 140w. Was this a mistake on my part, should I have stuck with the 140w?

Paul
That might (?) be true on syncro transmissions but on non-synchro transmissions you want to slow the gears down quickly when you double clutch so you can match input and output gears. 90W has less resistance than 140W. I have always just gone by what Ford recommends.

The T9 is a beast anyway you work it and will never shift like a Muncie . . . But it is very strong.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:15 PM
JPMallory
Laughing Gas

Received 105 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
I'm running 85W-140 in my crashbox, and your above statement would probably explain why my shifts grind a little until the truck warms up.

Old 04-14-2017, 01:32 PM
cowdog86
Senior User
Try turning the idle screw up a bit. 50 to 75 rpm. Then try it. Or you can just give it a freckle more throttle with the footfeed. My 51 idles so low I didn't have enough revs on the input. After I did that, I can shift it like old grampa. I turned my idle up a hair just because I am lazy

Old 04-16-2017, 09:30 AM
PEZLO
5th Wheeling
I'll give those a try and see if I can smooth things out a bit.

Thanks all!

Old 04-16-2017, 01:12 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
When I purchased my truck several years ago it shifted fine but I had no idea how old the gear oil was. I used I think sta lube 90 from o'reileys. Shifting become more of a challenge with grinds into 2nd and into 3rd. I drained it and put in sta lube 140. Shifted perfectly. This was on a 3 speed column shift.

JB

Old 08-02-2020, 02:29 PM
Fathumb
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry miss post

Old 08-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Latchman44
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd Gear

I have the exact same issues shifting into third gear and I agree with shifting around 10-mph. Some times I'm in fourth by 15-mph.
I can go around the corner with the clutch in and let it out in fourth on the other side without lugging the motor. No down shifting. 4:86 gears!!

Sometimes a faster idle is no bueno. If I have the choke out, it raises the idle and makes it harder to shift into third. My experience anyway.

I have all new clutch components and I still have to be careful going into third. May truck is a 1951 M3 with the T9.

Down shifting from fourth to third is possible, but from third to second, forget it.

Shift slowly at a low RPM. Can't be in a hurry driving these things.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:46 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
I have the same shifting issues with my truck and I learned to drive it 58 years ago, my father bought it new and always complained about how difficult it was to shift. I keep mine original and find that the shifting problems are what makes it an old truck
Ed
near Philadelphia

Old 08-03-2020, 06:17 AM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
My brother and I learned how to drive on my truck too. My dad never taught us to double clutch. We just kept engine revolutions down for up shifting and tapped the accelerator a little with the clutch in for down shifting around corners. Shifting slow and easy is key. I usually double clutch now, but still do some grinding--it's a sound associated with an authentic old truck and a part of the driving experience. Old trucks rattle and whine, and occasionally the gears grind.

Jim

Quick Reply: 3rd Gear Strugles