6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Changed fuel filters, how hear fuel pump? no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 06:14 PM
ZackF350Di
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed fuel filters, how hear fuel pump? no start

I replaced both fuel filters on my 2006 6.0 liter Ford diesel. I now hear what sounds like the fuel pump which I have never heard before filter change. I cycled the key a dozen times to no avail. I removed the fuel/ water separator plug and drained. I then bled the fuel line by opening the banjo bolt (bleed valve on upper fuel filler) and cycling the key well over 10 times. A I also opened the banjo bolt to bleed while cranking as if I was bleeding a brake line. More then a bucket of diesel came out during this process. I took off both fuel filters, made sure they were seated correctly, oiled the O rings and tightened to make sure no air was being sucked in. I went through the process of cycling the key again as well as cracking the banjo bolt and cycling key. I am assuming I still have air in the fuel line. Still hear what I think is fuel pump. Fuel in upper bowel us under pressure so pump must be working. Any idea how to get the air out of the line, if that is what it is?

Thanks

Old 04-04-2017, 06:39 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts
soynds like its getting fuel

ran good prior to fresh filters i assume

Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the pump ever shut off?

Old 04-04-2017, 08:42 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok I read "you think it's the fuel pump" it could be the vacuum pump on the passenger fender. You could have knocked a line loose. Have you gotten under the truck with the "pump" running to see if it is the fuel pump?

Old 04-08-2017, 10:21 PM
ZackF350Di
New User
The sound is coming from around the secondary fuel filter housing atop the engine. The sound shuts off in about 60 seconds. Any ideas?

Old 04-08-2017, 11:31 PM
xcrsp440
Fleet Mechanic
Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts
That is your vacuum pump.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:24 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Used an OEM filter?

With a helper, remove the upper filter cap and cycle the key. Does it fill fast, any air. Get a gauge on it and see if it comes up to pressure. You could use that connection to drain some off as well. Put a hose on it, into a bucket. The pump will shut off once it gets to pressure if there is no demand... about 20-30 seconds. If it's running longer, you have an air leak.

Couple things... Remove the FICM relay while doing this to avoid hurting it. You may also consider unplugging the glow plug module, heating them again and again could burn the tips off.

Harbor Freight sells an oil test kit, #62621 for about $30 that will work. Has all the fittings and a gauge w/hose.

Make sure its above 50psi. The vacuum pump is on the passenger side fender. Do you have a live data gauge? Your issue may be more than just fuel, verify it with numbers.

If this is the only thing done and it ran great before the change, your on the right track. Also... any codes?

Old 04-09-2017, 12:03 PM
sur48
Junior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Used an OEM filter?

With a helper, remove the upper filter cap and cycle the key. Does it fill fast, any air. Get a gauge on it and see if it comes up to pressure. You could use that connection to drain some off as well. Put a hose on it, into a bucket. The pump will shut off once it gets to pressure if there is no demand... about 20-30 seconds. If it's running longer, you have an air leak.

Couple things... Remove the FICM relay while doing this to avoid hurting it. You may also consider unplugging the glow plug module, heating them again and again could burn the tips off.

Harbor Freight sells an oil test kit, #62621 for about $30 that will work. Has all the fittings and a gauge w/hose.

Make sure its above 50psi. The vacuum pump is on the passenger side fender. Do you have a live data gauge? Your issue may be more than just fuel, verify it with numbers.

If this is the only thing done and it ran great before the change, your on the right track. Also... any codes?

this sounds like great adise. If you are not getting fuel to Small filter in engin compartment and you are sure the cap and "O" ring is property installed and tighten. That plastic cap is tricky. Make sure it bottoming out on alum body of frame mounted fuel filter. If all that good and no fuel have you ever had the nylon bag filter replaced in the fuel tank pick up tube {or supply} ? This typically breaks off in line and get clods in the fuel line before frame rail filter. Caucusing you to lose fuel and burn up injectors./

Old 04-09-2017, 05:40 PM
ZackF350Di
New User
Secondary fuel filter bowl fills fast. I do not see any air bubbles when cycling key. Primary fuel filter cap is now tight to housing. I can hear the primary fuel pump filling up the primary fuel filter housing on first cycle of key. There sounds like there is a secondary pump somewhere around the secondary fuel filter that fills up the secondary fuel filter bowl to over flowing when cycling key. I did not hear the pump up top until after I changed the fuel filters. I cracked both banjo bolts and bled while cycling key. There seems to be a lot of fuel pressure in the secondary fuel filter bowl as the diesel will shoot out about 2 feet when putting the cap back on while the pump up top is filling the upper bowl. Next step? Buy a live data gauge? Seems like I still have air in the fuel line as I have never heard that pump under the hood before changing fuel filters.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,519 Likes on 1,751 Posts
As several others have said, there isn't a fuel pump on top, in fact there is no secondary fuel pump anywhere.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 PM
ZackF350Di
New User
As soon as the sound stops under the hood the secondary fuel filter bowel stops overflowing. When I open up the banjo bolts the deiseal only flows while that sound is going. When the sound stops, diesel flow through the cracked banjo bolts stops. If this is not a secondary fuel pump what is making this sound? I see the same threads with the exact same issues with no resolutions. Sounds like a very common problem

Old 04-09-2017, 06:28 PM
FiznUKa
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The fuel pump will time out 15-20 sec with the KOEO. It will continue when KOER. There are two pumps a vacuum pump for the HVAC and hubs on 4x4 and the fuel pump under the driverside door frame rail. There are no other pumps. Unless there has been an aftermarket system installed by the PO.

Last edited by FiznUKa; 04-09-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,519 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Some people have installed two fuel pumps in a 6.0L (aftermarket mods), but it is quite uncommon and not necessary unless you are heavily modded (end even then the job can be done with one aftermarket pump), and no one that I have known of located an aftermarket fuel pump under the hood.

Best of luck. I believe you have other issues and you need to focus on identifying the issue (get a scan tool that can read engine data and codes).

Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 PM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have any way to read data live?
If so, are you sure you have FICM sync?............edit, I see that was asked as well. No way to read data, no good way for the forum to trouble shoot.
No codes?(I think that was asked earlier)

Old 04-09-2017, 09:43 PM
Knucks
Senior User
Hook up a gauge to your fuel bowl housing. Keep cycling key till guage shows at least 50psi. (I get 70) Crank it over, if its not running then you may have other issue, oil pressure?

Quick Reply: Changed fuel filters, how hear fuel pump? no start