second chance? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

second chance?

Old 06-05-2017, 02:29 PM
Post Fiend

CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
She looks good in her new barn...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 PM
Posting Guru

drptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud ofdrptop70ss has much to be proud of
That is great, I remember that truck well, read through your update threads many times.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 AM
Posting Guru

HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.
congratulations on getting your truck back.that is one beautiful truck-56 chevy-and garage i know how it feels to get your truck back.in 2002 i sold my 51 f1 to a guy about 3 miles away from me.it really hurt to let her go ,but some times things happen.he kept her for 6 yrs.then i got her back and went completely her.i had her for 8 years.then a friend of mine had a heartattack and sold me his 56f100.the only way that i could buy the 56 was to sell the 51.i always wanted a 56 f100,so sadley the 51 had to go.my friend always wanted my 51,so he bought it& it is still here in my town
Old 06-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Elder User

wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.
Thanks everyone, I remember when I sold it I thought "why did you sell that truck, you had so much sweat and time into it?" (even my wife told me that I would regret letting her go) so I thought she was gone for good. When it arrived on Sunday I couldn't believe how neglected she looked. Extremely cruddy, she must have sat in the rain and was never washed. The bed was pretty beat up since he used it as a work truck. It had an exhaust leak, one of the brake lights was out, the horn didn't work, and the engine compartment was filthy. I have her pretty well situated now and everything works again, the exhaust leak is fixed, and as I spent the last two days getting her back in shape I feel like I let her down for selling her to someone who considered her "just a work truck". I know she's just steel parts bolted and welded together but maybe a vehicle grows a soul when you take a worn out heap and you spend countless hours making sure everything is put together just right. I'm really proud of this truck. It took all that abuse and still held up well. The '56 Chevy is a stunning car and next to 'Ol Red the F1 looks "home built" but I remember every part of that build and how much time and energy I spent bending lines, soldering and shrink tubing all the wiring, welding brackets, etc, the list of fabrications goes on and on when I built that truck. There's something about doing it yourself (if you have the ability and you have the room, time, money, etc) that can't be described by words. I wouldn't sell her again even if I was offered three times as much as her monetary value. It's so great having 'Ol Red back in that garage.

Wally
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Senior User

Silver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to beholdSilver54 is a splendid one to behold
Nice Garage!
Old 06-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Posting Guru

HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.HILLBILLY BOB has a very good reputation on FTE.
what a nice picture. i sure would like to have one of those gas pumps.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:57 AM
Post Fiend

Harrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud ofHarrier has much to be proud of
'Ol Red looks right at home.
I'm so glad you were able to get her back.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Elder User

wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.wallster has a very good reputation on FTE.
Last night I finished up revitalizing the paint by rubbing it out with a mild polishing compound. The original owner painted her with rustoleum paint but as long as she stays clean and protected she shines like a base coat clear coat paint job. I'm not looking to make her a show truck just a nice driver that looks good. Next up are the bed slats that need to be sanded and stained again.

Wally
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice truck and garage. I've moved several times in my adult life and it seems like I have to build a garage everywhere I go. I think I've built four of them in the past 20 years or so. Love the red on your truck. I'm a little partial to red myself. Here's my 1953 Target Red Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe. I've changed the wheels and hubcaps since the bottom photo was taken...
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Posting Guru

49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold49f3dls is a splendid one to behold
Good news on getting it back and best of all in reasonably good shape. Love the garage too you've done a good job on both and the 56. Have fun
Old 06-07-2017, 07:52 AM
Posting Guru

what was the polishing compound that you used on your truck? my 56 was painted with a combination of red and black rustoleum paint. (1 qt of red & 14 teaspoons of black) .i want to use that polishing compound too.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HILLBILLY BOB View Post
what was the polishing compound that you used on your truck? my 56 was painted with a combination of red and black rustoleum paint. (1 qt of red & 14 teaspoons of black) .i want to use that polishing compound too.

I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. I washed the truck with dawn soap then waxed it with some turtle wax but it still looked a little dull and had water stains. I applied the compound by hand and then used a wheel to polish it. Wiped it all down with a soft cotton towel, looks better than ever.

Wally
Old 06-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
Nice truck and garage. I've moved several times in my adult life and it seems like I have to build a garage everywhere I go. I think I've built four of them in the past 20 years or so. Love the red on your truck. I'm a little partial to red myself. Here's my 1953 Target Red Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe. I've changed the wheels and hubcaps since the bottom photo was taken...

That's very sharp! I just helped a friend sell her husbands '53 but it was all hot rodded. My '56 is Matador Red which looks orange to me.

Wally
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM
Post Fiend

GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.GreatNorthWoods has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallster View Post
That's very sharp! I just helped a friend sell her husbands '53 but it was all hot rodded. My '56 is Matador Red which looks orange to me.

Wally
Although it looks stock, mine is rodded too. Has a 350/700-R4, Nova rear, and 4-wheel disc brakes. I like Matador Red too.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods View Post
Although it looks stock, mine is rodded too. Has a 350/700-R4, Nova rear, and 4-wheel disc brakes. I like Matador Red too.

I misspoke, the car we sold was a 1952 but that's close enough in my book. The owner has been suffering with Parkinson's for a while and he's in a nursing facility. His wife decided that she should sell the car (since there's little chance he'll get better) and she needed the money for some much needed home repairs. I ended up placing a local ad and in some odd turn of fate the guy who sold it to him in 1999 found the ad and ended up buying the car back. He was in a money jam and was forced to sell it at the time and had been looking to buy the car back over the past two years but didn't know where the car ended up. Everyone was happy after the sale since he got his car back and she felt it went to the right person since she felt bad about selling it under the circumstances. I was just happy to have helped everyone out. Here's the car, updated interior, sbc 350, TH350, and four wheel (non power) disc brakes.

Wally
Attached Images