Front bump stops - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front bump stops

Old 04-03-2017, 07:41 PM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
Front bump stops

The bump stops on the front of my Ex have almost completed their transformation into tiny crumbles of dried out rubber. Does anyone know of a supplier that sells replacement bump stops that are not outrageously expensive and fit without modifications? I neither want to pay $90 for a pair of bump stops, nor drill the frame to accommodate a $12 pair. Surely there is a middle ground somewhere?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
If it flies, it dies

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
How is $18.00?
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-03-2017, 10:09 PM
Posting Guru

Greenscobie86 is a name known to allGreenscobie86 is a name known to allGreenscobie86 is a name known to allGreenscobie86 is a name known to allGreenscobie86 is a name known to allGreenscobie86 is a name known to all
Mark is spot on.

I used these about a year ago on my 03, going to do the same on my 02 truck that I just picked up.

Photo for reference:

Name:  4F2D4F53-64B2-4B23-B7F2-B7210FE0A71A_zpsonjj52le.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  163.4 KB
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 AM
Post Fiend

andym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputationandym has a superb reputation
I saw these but Amazon says they don't fit my 2000 Ex. Do these really fit without modification?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:10 AM
If it flies, it dies

mecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputationmecdac has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I saw these but Amazon says they don't fit my 2000 Ex. Do these really fit without modification?
Yes, Amazon relayed similar bad info re: my 2001.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior User

Jeff53 has a good reputation on FTE.Jeff53 has a good reputation on FTE.
Yep

Amazon is wrong frequently about what fits. I always go to the manufacturer's website and look up the part number before checking Amazon for price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecdac View Post
Yes, Amazon relayed similar bad info re: my 2001.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM
Post Fiend

Ok... two of them on the way. Thanks guys!
Old 10-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Senior User

Ultraboy is starting off with a positive reputation.
How did the Amazon bump stops work out? Were they the Dorman brand?
Old 10-08-2017, 08:31 AM
Post Fiend

They are Dorman brand. They fit fine and they're still in one piece. They've seen some contact too, so if yours are shot I would replace them. They're part of the truck's suspension.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:47 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
I bought a set of the same stops from the link above, to replace the OEM fronts that finally completely disintegrated, that I discovered after checking, after reading this thread, which reminded me to do so.

Stewart
Old 10-12-2017, 06:28 AM
MMNC (SS)

Tylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputationTylus has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
They are Dorman brand. They fit fine and they're still in one piece. They've seen some contact too, so if yours are shot I would replace them. They're part of the truck's suspension.
I know the PSD is heavy...but you've actually had them contact?

I've always believed they were useless after the lift. Guess I should replace my crusted/missing ones lol
Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Posting Guru

1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future1 Excursion camper has a brilliant future
I took 2 of the rear bumpstops off a totaled F250 at work and cut them down to the right height. Then remove the 2 mounting bolts and bracket for the old front bump stops, there is a mounting hole under the old bump stops that fits the new ones perfectly. Cost me nothing. I found 2 more to replace the traction bars too!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Freshman User

msuser92 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I had replaced my original bump stops with OEM years ago. Now those are disintegrated as well. I had thought of making some out of hard wood. Do you think that would be too stiff, or does the rubber/plastic ones not provide much cushion anyway?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
Yep, even with the V codes and slight lift that comes with them. They have definitely been squished a couple of times by the look of them. Note that I don't slow down for speed bumps, potholes, railroad tracks, etc. so that may have something to do with it.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:30 AM
The Nekkid Super Mod

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylus View Post

I've always believed they were useless after the lift. Guess I should replace my crusted/missing ones lol
Back in '06 when I did the spring mod, I cut my bump stops. The 2000 MY Excursion had the old style ribbed stops and mine weren't destroyed by the time I did the mod, so I cut the bottom two ribbed portions off.

When this thread was created back in April, I used the same link Mark posted and bought the same stops and replaced mine, which indeed showed contact even after I had shortened them, and done the V's.

I was surprised because the first few years after the mod I constantly checked them, but I stopped looking after awhile. Just never thought about it until I Andy posted this thread.

Stewart