Sponsored by: Moser

Service Time

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:38 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Service Time

This next week my 2013 is getting it's first oil change since we bought it last Sept. I'm home all of the time, so the miles are really kept down. It had 53k on it when we bought it, now it's at 58K.
According to the guessometer in the dash it's about due, but shows there's almost 5K miles on that service, and is at 9% oil life.
Using that message center is how I did the services on my 2011 that I had, and I was getting over 9K.
I've been using Motorcraft Synthetic Blend since we bought my wifes 08 Escape new. And that what I put in my 01 F150 with the 4.2 V6, and had almost 200K on it when we sold it.
But I'm debating on going to a Full Synthetic 5-20, since it is supposed to protect the engine better, right.
I know this has been discussed time and time again, and I do not, want to turn this into an ugly thread. But is it really worth the extra expense of paying Full Synthetic. And I've found Motorcraft Full Synthetic at a local Oreilly's, for about $10.50 a quart, then a Motorcraft oil filter. That makes an almost $100 oil change, doing it on my back, v.s. just over $53 for the Synthetic Blend.

Unk Bob

Old 04-01-2017, 07:35 AM
2jhanna
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
I have found MotorCraft prices (oil/filter) much cheaper at WalMart than O'Riellys.

I too am a low annual mileage, as I also have a wrangler that I drive. My plan is to use the blend and change every July. Between my wife and I we have 4 vehicles. I change them all every July DIY at the same time and I'm good for a year.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:50 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
The same deal here, I'm off work and have been for almost 8 years with back issues, and my wife works from home full time, so the vehicles aren't driven much. Her Escape we bought new in 08, and has less than 60K on it.
So maybe sticking with the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend is the way to go. There's a heck of a price difference, about $45 more for the full synthetic.
And like you mentioned, Walmart is a hard place to beat price wise.

Unk Bob

Old 04-01-2017, 08:04 AM
2jhanna
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ubereal2
. Her Escape we bought new in 08, and has less than 60K on it.
Our fourth vehicle is a 02 Tahoe, bought new, super nice, garage keep. It's used for road trips and when we have family/friends in. 75k miles on it.

edit, your 79 ford reminds me of my first truck. 74 F100 custom, lwb, inline 240/6, gold. bought it new $3400, no ac, ps, or pb. drove it for 22 years.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:33 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I use the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend and Motorcraft oil filters (all from Walmart) on my '13 F150 and wife's '13 Escape. I change the oil on both at 5000 miles and have since new. I use Mobil 1 High Mileage in my '05 Explorer commuter. It is a synthetic blend also. I chose the Mobil 1 because it is a blend, a couple bucks cheaper per 5qt jug, and I didn't know what the previous owner had been using. Each vehicle has 30k, 76k, and 135k miles, respectively.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm a synthetic blend guy. Engine oil sample analysis of my old oil has shown me time and again that I gain nothing but a lighter wallet by using full synthetic. I highly recommend using such a service if you want to find out your own facts like I did.

I'm approaching a 1/2 million miles in 3 different Ford pickup trucks using almost exclusively blends, except for test purposes of course. No oil-related problems whatsoever.

Your truck, your wallet, and your choice. But I've found no advantage to spending more money and not receiving any benefit from it.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:28 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I take mine in to dealer it's under $50 and free coffee and donuts.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:54 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rbentnail
I'm a synthetic blend guy. Engine oil sample analysis of my old oil has shown me time and again that I gain nothing but a lighter wallet by using full synthetic. I highly recommend using such a service if you want to find out your own facts like I did.

I'm approaching a 1/2 million miles in 3 different Ford pickup trucks using almost exclusively blends, except for test purposes of course. No oil-related problems whatsoever.

Your truck, your wallet, and your choice. But I've found no advantage to spending more money and not receiving any benefit from it.
I've used Motorcraft Blend for the last 10 years myself, and have never, had an oil related issue. And for the money difference, like you mentioned, just a difference in the wallet.
Unk Bob

Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I check with Firestone and see what the specials are. At times I can't buy it for the price that they'll do it for. And I haveone guy, that touch's my trucks, and wife's Escape. He know's I've turned a lot of wrench's, and that I tip.

unk Bob

Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 AM
rbentnail
More Turbo
Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CuNmUdF250
I asked my dealer about his advertised $39 oil & filter change with the fine print "up to 5 qts". He said my 7 qt oil change would cost $67. That's $14 per qt he would charge me. No thanks.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
I asked my dealer about his advertised $39 oil & filter change with the fine print "up to 5 qts". He said my 7 qt oil change would cost $67. That's $14 per qt he would charge me. No thanks.
I think that's pretty much across the board, 5 quart, after that they are gonna let you have it.

Unk Bob

Old 04-03-2017, 09:08 AM
2jhanna
More Turbo
The oil in only $2/qt + $12/qt install fee.

Old 04-04-2017, 09:27 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Taking off for a wallyworld run for my oil change stuff.
I can get my Motorcraft 5w20 blend oil, Motorcraft oil filter, and air filter for about $50.
Oreilly auto would run almost $75 for the same stuff. Then to get in for a rotate and balance, and the truck should be about set for our move back home to Missouri.

Y'all behave.

Unk Bob

Old 04-04-2017, 10:39 AM
2jhanna
More Turbo
I noticed, at least in my area, O' Riellys prices aren't as good as they used to be. Both in everyday stuff like oil and filters, as well as other parts like brake pads, etc.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
I noticed, at least in my area, O' Riellys prices aren't as good as they used to be. Both in everyday stuff like oil and filters, as well as other parts like brake pads, etc.
Just got back from rounding up all of my filters and such. Walmart didn't have a single Motorcraft air filter, Advance Auto (And I despise them) didn't have any, motorcraft air filters, Oreilly didn't have the filter that I need, finally at Advance Auto, and they had 1.
After more pricing, Firestone is doing my service and tire rotate tomorrow (there is 1 guy there that touch's my truck, and wife's Escape). If I did the oil change myself and let Firestone do the rotate and balance, I'd save a whopping $17, and still have to take care of my used oil.

Unk Bob

Old 04-04-2017, 04:35 PM
kruzer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
I think that's pretty much across the board, 5 quart, after that they are gonna let you have it.

Unk Bob
I don't know about that. Ford dealer in Ayer Ma. I go to. I pay the $39 and get the seven qts. I check the dipstick before I leave. Their "Works" package is a little more but get the tires rotated plus some other stuff. After 4 changes the fifth is free. I sit in a comfy chair and watch them do it. Can't complain and never had a problem.

Quick Reply: Service Time