1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Does this ecu/pcm look bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM
ZachE150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this ecu/pcm look bad?

Everything else looks good on this board but the white yellowish gunk on the end

Old 03-29-2017, 08:28 PM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dialectic grease?

Old 03-29-2017, 09:04 PM
NICKSAN
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The main thing you want to look for are leaking capacitors. There are 3 of them that are a common problem on computers from F-150, E series vans and some other 90 models.
If your not familiar with electronic components they are called electrolytic capacitors and they look like this:

electrolytic capacitor : CUFCC Infomation

Here is a link to a thread here on FTE that discusses the issue:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-problem.html

Theres also a you very helpful tube video that shows how to replace the capacitors.

I fixed mine a couple years ago but A few days ago I had to buy a remanufactured unit. It was about $140 with a $60 core charge from orielly`s
Have not installed it yet.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Just a comment from the peanut gallery here. Is that yellow crusty? If so it may be dielectric grease.

NEVER EVER put dielectric grease on a 12v electric plug and especially never ever on a 5v signal plug. It kills the signal.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 PM
ZachE150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JUst bought it. Having idle problems and codes thrown all about ECT, ATI, MAF and was wondering if the ECU had something to do with it. You think this could be the cause?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:25 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
ZachE150: A couple of thoughts. Your rig will be a good rig for you, but all these rigs are getting old and the electrics are getting older too. And some of the previous accepted practices regarding dielectric grease have proven to be wrong. See my thoughts here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16563403

Also, it is said that mechanical problems are easy to find and hard/slow to fix. While electrical problems are hard to diagnose and fast to fix. You need to just accept that as fact.

It is also said that mechanics look to the component, while electricians look at the wiring. You need to get that mindset.

On rigs of our age, wiring fails at the plug interface.

Now here is the deal, on this forum the electrical issues are all over. If it is a truck it may be in the truck forum. If it is a Bronco it may be in the Bronco forum. Your PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the van forum. If it is perceived to be an engine problem, it may be in an engine forum. Look through all of them.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...es-galore.html

Here is my current 5.8L thread in the Misc. Electrical Systems/Wiring forum:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...51-eec-iv.html

And there are only a handful of people on this forum (and at a shop for that matter) that really have the deep knowledge necessary to help. And I am not one of them.

If you want to keep your van as your pony, start here and commit yourself to learning how it works.

Home

There is simply no substitute for learning and then employing a systematic methodical diagnostic approach.

Often things are more simple than you think. I had a miss caused by crossing spark plug wires (replace with Ford 9mm Racing wires and wire holders). I had a pulsing idle surge from 750 to 1000 rpm caused by the Air Conditioning in defrost mode calling for an increased idle rpm because Freon was low or the AC was otherwise defective.

Finally, your post is ok because it asks a pinpoint question. But for the real gurus here to help you, you need to put the info about your rig make model year engine transmission in your signature and then create a new thread with the Symptom in the title. And if you don't pull and list your trouble codes, none of the real gurus here will waste their time trying to help you.

Now here's the good news. The people here are truly Brothers. You do your part and they will go out of their way to help you.

Read, learn and keep posting.