Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Questions on brake pads (EBC Yellostuff)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:39 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Questions on brake pads (EBC Yellostuff)

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It won't be my first one of the day...

I've had some EBC Yellowstuff brake pads in my Amazon cart all winter long, just waiting for spring. And now that spring is here, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on them.

I haul a very heavy camper (4000#) warmer months, along with ~2000# ATV trailer behind. When I stomp the brakes, I want my load to STOP. And I've read very, very good reviews of EBC Yellowstuff, and their braking ability -- specifically, how much better they are over most any other pads.

EBC Yellowstuff are not cheap. Front pads will run me ~$130, rear are ~$90. Even though I've read so many good things about these pads, I don't want to plunk down $220+ only to find out they don't meet my expectations. So I'm thinking about buying the front pads, and checking to ensure I'm happy with them before ordering up the rear's.

OK, so here's my question(s).
1) Is the above plan to install and evaluate fronts before ordering rears acceptable? Is it OK to buy and seat front ones now, and do the rear ones later on? Anything I'm missing with this plan?

2) Regarding rotors, I'm planning to stick with my current OEM. I replaced them about 2 years ago. And, near as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with them at all. They don't shimmy, shudder, squeal, etc. I simply cannot justify ordering $500 EBC rotors when mine seem perfectly fine. Am I OK to install and seat new EBC Yellowstuff pads with stock OEM rotors? Again, is there anything I'm missing with this plan?

Appreciate any constructive feedback/advice.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by truckfella
Sorry if this is a stupid question. It won't be my first one of the day...

I've had some EBC Yellowstuff brake pads in my Amazon cart all winter long, just waiting for spring. And now that spring is here, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on them.

I haul a very heavy camper (4000#) warmer months, along with ~2000# ATV trailer behind. When I stomp the brakes, I want my load to STOP. And I've read very, very good reviews of EBC Yellowstuff, and their braking ability -- specifically, how much better they are over most any other pads.

EBC Yellowstuff are not cheap. Front pads will run me ~$130, rear are ~$90. Even though I've read so many good things about these pads, I don't want to plunk down $220+ only to find out they don't meet my expectations. So I'm thinking about buying the front pads, and checking to ensure I'm happy with them before ordering up the rear's.

OK, so here's my question(s).
1) Is the above plan to install and evaluate fronts before ordering rears acceptable? Is it OK to buy and seat front ones now, and do the rear ones later on? Anything I'm missing with this plan?

2) Regarding rotors, I'm planning to stick with my current OEM. I replaced them about 2 years ago. And, near as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with them at all. They don't shimmy, shudder, squeal, etc. I simply cannot justify ordering $500 EBC rotors when mine seem perfectly fine. Am I OK to install and seat new EBC Yellowstuff pads with stock OEM rotors? Again, is there anything I'm missing with this plan?

Appreciate any constructive feedback/advice.
1. Yes, no problem at all. But if you do love them, then buy the rears ASAP, because during your evaluation period, your fronts will be working harder.

2. I believe stock rotors will be just fine with performance pads. Personally, I would just buy the performance rotors with it- money is cheap, but doubting and wondering if I "shoulda" is expensive.

I share your question about bedding new performance pads on well-used rotors. I've been wondering the same thing recently because my coworker's company truck just got new brakes and they SUCK! Noticeable brake fade on even medium braking. (My boss very likely bought the cheapest pads he could find). I was thinking of buying great pads and then slapping them on for a quick/cheap improvement.

i had EBC pads on my 2000 Contour many years ago and they were super duper great. LOTS of torque. I think I had Green though. (And I definitely had performance rotors).

If if you're not married to EBC, you should consider PowerStop. I've had their Truck and Tow brakes (front and rears, pads and rotors) for years and they pull my van like I veered into a sand pit with a parachute.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
If keeping your rotor's at least get them turned. Not sure if many still do this.

Bedding pads at different times shouldn't be an issue, I did mine with Hawk LTS pads similar to your plan.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:09 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Perfect, thanks guys.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:37 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I have the Yellowstuff pads on front and back of my truck now for over a year. Fronts for almost two. Slotted cryo rotors on the front and slotted non cryo on the back. I had Hawk SD pads on for many years prior to that. You don't have to have slotted or other fancy rotors. The Raybestos advanced technology rotors (non slotted) are decent, I've used them already. I used the slotted advanced technology rotors and they heat checked fairly soon, plus the pattern made some vibration. Motorcraft rotors are nothing special so don't be loyal to them.

The Yellostuff pads feel tame and linear until you hit the brakes hard, then they bite very hard. The Hawk SD pads bit hard only when they get a decent amount of heat in them, but still I feel the YS pads are stronger. The YS pads don't have to have much heat in them to bite. The only problem with the Yellowstuff pads are that they are extremely dusty, more dust than any other pad I have had on any vehicle ever. I've had the weight you pull on my truck with them, not a problem.

I don't turn rotors, they get replaced. Some rotors already are on the smaller side for thickness. For what I am spending on pads they get new rotors unless the rotors are close to new already. I want as much meat on the rotor as I can get. Rust is also a concern due to my location. The EBC pads have a coating to help condition the rotor and break in the pads but I'd still make sure the rotor is clean and crack free. The fronts do the bulk of the braking so I'll throw money at the front before I will the back. The fronts are usually where the heat related issues/failures come from.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:32 PM
super 6.8
Fleet Mechanic
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Due to an issue with one of our newer vehicles the dealer owed me a favor. That turned out to be new rotors, pads and calipers and brake fluid flush on the front of my 2007 f250. I've done after market brakes many times but the stock setup, when fresh, is very good.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:19 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Doesn't your camper have electric brakes? A bit of advice would be to ease on braking instead of slaming on your brakes, and keep distance between cars so you can have reaction time. We have a fleet of over 30 trucks, and I've noticed that the guys that don't pull trailers tend to go thru brakes more than the guys that don't? Why the guys pulling the trailer are older experience drivers, ease on braking, and adjust their trailer brakes enough where the load stops them, meanwhile the youngsters driving solo drive the trucks like a sports car and tend to slam on brakes more often and in result go thru brakes and warp the chit out of the rotors. I only use Autozone brakes which are the Duralast Gold brand and they do their job very efficient.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 AM
truckfella
Elder User
See sig: slide-in camper

When I'm hauling the camper, trust me, I'm not driving like some crazed teenager. I'm more concerned with panic stop situations.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:24 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Didn't meant to sound like an ***, it's just what I've experienced with our fleet.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:04 PM
truckfella
Elder User
I didn't take it like that. Totally understand what you're saying.

And not to get too off topic here, but very impressive mileage numbers on your 1995. Approaching 1M...not too shabby.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:27 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
She's dead blew a gasket or something a couple of months ago, I'm taking the heads of if there's cylinder wall damage she's coming out, as I have an engine that I'm rebuilding with some aftermarket goodies.