6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2004 6.0 I need a DPF, what gives California!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 05:40 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the "new vehicle certification standard" must be referring to the standard of the vehicle when new, i.e. a 2005 M.Y. must meet the the minimum emission standard that it was born with, meaning it would need to be maintained as functional (as new) or be repaired to meet that standard. I can't imagine the standard could be enhanced to a more stringent standard, as would be found on vehicles being currently manufactured on today's date. Although, that does seem to be what they're doing to larger commercial trucks and causing many migraines for owner operators.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:56 PM
DawnPatrol
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
One thing I don't get is that Cali wants a smog certificate on a brand new vehicle purchased in an adjacent state. Brand new vehicle?
yes, I found that out when I bought a brand new Mercedes from a Colorado dealer, and wanted to register in CA, my state of residence.
The guys at the CA Benz dealer looked at me like I was crazy but I need a smog cert and of course had to pay CA sales tax to get registration and plates besides the smog
*******s

Old 04-08-2017, 10:17 AM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
Yeah, I saw that Tim, that was why I was asking -- we took a rabbit trail here and there in this thread, and I was going back to see if Clayton ever said if he had the 50 state smog sticker and that is when I saw the '06 motor in the sig line.

So I thought I'd ask: what truck are we talking about and is there any chance the smog station guy looked up the wrong engine year info (if it is the truck in his sig).

I'm going to go do some reading to see if there is anything NEW that says ANY engine change requires bringing it to CURRENT smog regulations (now wouldn't that just suck )
Same truck as sig, never said anything other then "2004 F350".
Plus side to it was that he did not start the official testing so there is no record of me trying.

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
I think the "new vehicle certification standard" must be referring to the standard of the vehicle when new, i.e. a 2005 M.Y. must meet the the minimum emission standard that it was born with, meaning it would need to be maintained as functional (as new) or be repaired to meet that standard. I can't imagine the standard could be enhanced to a more stringent standard, as would be found on vehicles being currently manufactured on today's date. Although, that does seem to be what they're doing to larger commercial trucks and causing many migraines for owner operators.
I have searched and read a lot since looking for that one piece of info I can say "SEE!" nothing but a ton confusing rederic like what you posted there.

Plan on going out today and getting it done at the place I went to last time. I just went to the one that declined to test because it was close to work.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:46 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Maybe call other smog shops in other counties and see if you can find someone that will take the time to talk with you about what is required. If this guy is misguided, it would suck to get his ignorance documented on state records. Unfortunately, sometimes even the innocent have to PROVE their innocence, once some turd-head makes a false accusation and places a perception of guilt upon them. Use caution with this guy, at least until you know for sure if he is wrong or not. His statement sounds bazaar to me, but with California, ya never know...

Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 PM
530ktmpilot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, just one idiot smog guy who can't correctly interpert the requirements. Clearly, based on gvwr, the retrofit requirement does not apply. Suggest you go to the website, go through steps by clicking the appropriate answers while screen shotting each step including the one saying the regulation doesnt apply. Have these with you and go to another smog shop than you originally went to. It will be unlikely that they will raise any issue but having the printed screen shots will help if there are two clowns in town.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by 530ktmpilot
Yeah, just one idiot smog guy who can't correctly interpert the requirements. Clearly, based on gvwr, the retrofit requirement does not apply. Suggest you go to the website, go through steps by clicking the appropriate answers while screen shotting each step including the one saying the regulation doesnt apply. Have these with you and go to another smog shop than you originally went to. It will be unlikely that they will raise any issue but having the printed screen shots will help if there are two clowns in town.
Your talking about most all the government in Calf and the nuts in SF
with there electric beer cans.

But having the printouts should go a long ways. I would make sure to also
save a copy of each URL of any regs that are cited.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 AM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I went through something similar when I bought my 7.3 in Idaho. Ca said I needed a cat because early 99 7.3s had one from the factory. I got a cat, than they wouldn't pass me because the down pipe wasn't stock. I ended up calling the CARB office near me and getting the requirements spelled out in writing as to exactly what I needed. Than I took it to SMOG shop and they passed me once I met the requirements.

What I found out was the truck must have all the smog equipment it came with new from the manufacture in a working and in altered state. Because its a pickup and registered to me not a company i did not need any addition smog equipment. Just had to be stock, as delivered from ford.

-Nick

Old 04-09-2017, 09:31 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Njstern87
I went through something similar when I bought my 7.3 in Idaho. Ca said I needed a cat because early 99 7.3s had one from the factory. I got a cat, than they wouldn't pass me because the down pipe wasn't stock. I ended up calling the CARB office near me and getting the requirements spelled out in writing as to exactly what I needed. Than I took it to SMOG shop and they passed me once I met the requirements.

What I found out was the truck must have all the smog equipment it came with new from the manufacture in a working and in altered state. Because its a pickup and registered to me not a company i did not need any addition smog equipment. Just had to be stock, as delivered from ford.

-Nick
This is the law as I have always understood it. Unless something has changed, which I don't think that it has... I did have an issue that I had to go to a "smog referee" for, which was an early model 460 engine that was installed in my 76 F250 4x4. (yes there are smog referees) Darn thing was a hotrod. But the heads didn't have the smog rail ports drilled into the heads so I had to go find some later model heads with the ports in them. Unfortunately, I had to let go of some awesome closed chambered heads to trade for the crappy later model ones which led to lower compression and loss of HP. I was allowed, by the referee, to modify my headers for the heat riser for the choke instead of taking off the headers. I made it up with some cheap flex hose from an auto parts store, a band clamp and a short piece of metal fencing cap that I shaped to wrap the header, LOL. I did have to trade the air cleaner out with one with the snorkel. The main thing I had to do was meet the smog equipment standard, in functional position, as the truck came with when new. I didn't have to do anything to match later standards. That was a long time ago, however. Not sure if anything has changed with smog laws with regard to that, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've gotten more ridiculous, frankly. It would be par for the course for California.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:28 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I was going to respond to many here, but that would require too many quotings of good posts. LOL....My wife and I finally cried "uncle" a few months ago and started planning our escape. yeah, it's beautiful here and it's my home,but they can have it. The natural beauty and weather have long given way to the daily grind of horsesh** that it takes to live here...so back to horse country I go. I am just so tired of watching San Diego county slowly become L.A. We are going to Montana for awhile since I got a job doing horse and ranch work. My wife is a Texas native, so we may end up back there eventually. I have never been so happy to see California in my rearview, and I never thought i would say that.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:41 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 392 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I was going to respond to many here, but that would require too many quotings of good posts. LOL....My wife and I finally cried "uncle" a few months ago and started planning our escape. yeah, it's beautiful here and it's my home,but they can have it. The natural beauty and weather have long given way to the daily grind of horsesh** that it takes to live here...so back to horse country I go. I am just so tired of watching San Diego county slowly become L.A. We are going to Montana for awhile since I got a job doing horse and ranch work. My wife is a Texas native, so we may end up back there eventually. I have never been so happy to see California in my rearview, and I never thought i would say that.
I know it's probably not the same, but the weather ain't too bad here in Texas!

Old 04-09-2017, 10:56 AM
chick
Cross-Country
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, we too are planning our escape. My wife and I used to live in TX, and are going back. I do love the geography of North Cali, but the bozos in Sacramento and LA running the state can keep it. I don't know who will pay the tax bill when all the working class escape this place, maybe Dianne and her wealthy husband can hold bake sales to pay for their social programs.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
UPDATE
Finally made to a smog shop in Norco cleaverly named Norco Smog (yelp page linked). No issues what so ever, smoked a little on the snap test but not enough to warrant fail.
we talked trucks and engines while he was doing his thing. All in all a great guy and experience over any other smog place only reason I linked his shop. SO he showed me his book for smog as he was looking for MY req'd equipment. Same book other idiot showed me, but about 3inches back from the where the moron showed me requirements. That f-tard was trying to smog me as 14k+
anyhoo its done.
For you SoCal guys anywhere near its Norco Smog, in and out less then 20 mins that's with a car in front of me.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:37 PM
lupuseven
YouTube Certified Mech
I was going to respond to many here, but that would require too many quotings of good posts. LOL....My wife and I finally cried "uncle" a few months ago and started planning our escape. yeah, it's beautiful here and it's my home,but they can have it. The natural beauty and weather have long given way to the daily grind of horsesh** that it takes to live here...
Exactly!
I have my escape plan ready 2 years for wife to retire, We can move to OR where my work has another shop and eventually to TX when they expand that way.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:04 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by lupuseven
UPDATE
Finally made to a smog shop in Norco cleaverly named Norco Smog (yelp page linked). No issues what so ever, smoked a little on the snap test but not enough to warrant fail.
we talked trucks and engines while he was doing his thing. All in all a great guy and experience over any other smog place only reason I linked his shop. SO he showed me his book for smog as he was looking for MY req'd equipment. Same book other idiot showed me, but about 3inches back from the where the moron showed me requirements. That f-tard was trying to smog me as 14k+
anyhoo its done.
For you SoCal guys anywhere near its Norco Smog, in and out less then 20 mins that's with a car in front of me.
Can you report the Doorknob for not knowing the correct requirements?

How I hate people that don't know how to read the regs that they do business
by. You should try reading the FAR books for aircraft. You have to have some brains
to understand how each regulation interacts with others.

Happy that you found someone that CAN read the regs and that you passed.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Sounds like the gomer who was trying to claim that I my truck fell under the body year, not the chassis, engine, vin number. At that point, I just got it to pass and sold it.

Quick Reply: 2004 6.0 I need a DPF, what gives California!