Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   2004 6.0 I need a DPF, what gives California! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1481867-2004-6-0-i-need-a-dpf-what-gives-california.html)

lupuseven 03-20-2017 10:01 PM

2004 6.0 I need a DPF, what gives California!

Failed CA Smog pre-inspections because the CA smog book says ALL 1998 and newer diesels require a DPF. I read it too he showed me the book. it was a quick chart labeled Diesel 1998 - newer, with an X under DPF may not be exact wording but it was there....

what gives never had to have it before, how do I get one for this truck?
going to be calling BAR in the morning to work this out too.

DarkStarMedia 03-20-2017 11:51 PM

Take it to a different shop... They are wrong. They cannot force you to add emissions equipment.

Richard

olfordsnstone 03-20-2017 11:53 PM

I'm thinking this is for heavy duty trucks. At least, I hope the guy that failed your truck was a moron and didn't realize that your truck isn't heavy duty... With that said, if Cali starts requiring DPF on ALL diesel trucks, I'm thinking it's the last draw and I'll be looking for another state to reside. California has gone off the deep end in so many ways, but this would certainly be a game changer for me.

530ktmpilot 03-21-2017 06:25 AM

requirement is based on gvwr sticker.

chetspencer 03-21-2017 07:18 AM

14001 lbs Gross Wt.?

olfordsnstone 03-21-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by chetspencer (Post 17050060)
14001 lbs Gross Wt.?

This sounds more accurate. I've heard that even California Dept of Transportation (CalTrans) has been required to outfit all of their diesel plow/dump trucks to DPF, even the older trucks. It's causing a lot of headaches for their mechanics.

530ktmpilot 03-21-2017 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by olfordsnstone (Post 17050408)
This sounds more accurate. I've heard that even California Dept of Transportation (CalTrans) has been required to outfit all of their diesel plow/dump trucks to DPF, even the older trucks. It's causing a lot of headaches for their mechanics.

Just finished reading CARB website. There was a recently passed (2015) dpf retrofit required for heavy duty trucks. As you specified, the cutoff is 14k gvwr. Since all f350s that year fall under that, I wonder why the smog tech didnt just look at the door sticker to see?

If the OP paid any money for the test, Id return and demand they complete it or offer a full refund.

diesel_dan 03-21-2017 11:29 AM

They also are very strict on non-CA or 50 State emission ANYTHING being brought into state, only if you are military or a couple of other arcane reasons will they allow you to bring one in.

These diesel rules hurt a lot of small contractors who had to sell or retro-fit their off road equipment :-arrgh.

But, Clayton: if you've got a 50 state sticker, you don't need to retro-fit an SRW F350... It does have to have all the mandated gear on it though...

Yahiko 03-21-2017 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_dan (Post 17050759)
They also are very strict on non-CA or 50 State emission ANYTHING being brought into state, only if you are military or a couple of other arcane reasons will they allow you to bring one in.

These diesel rules hurt a lot of small contractors who had to sell or retro-fit their off road equipment :-arrgh.

But, Clayton: if you've got a 50 state sticker, you don't need to retro-fit an SRW F350... It does have to have all the mandated gear on it though...

I happened to be listing to KFI 640 AM LA and it looks like they are thinking
about going after gas powered lawn equipment now also.

Off the deep end? I say they did that years ago.
Time to start looking for a catalytic converter for you cows.

530ktmpilot 03-21-2017 11:02 PM

Actually bringing used vehicles in just have to have a certian mileage to be qualified (12k?). And of,course, their original emission equip.

olfordsnstone 03-21-2017 11:07 PM

One thing I don't get is that Cali wants a smog certificate on a brand new vehicle purchased in an adjacent state. Brand new vehicle?

lupuseven 03-21-2017 11:58 PM

hey all! sorry for the late responses.
I paid nothing, the owner of the shop was baffled by this too and felt pretty bad about it. From what I could read it was only the 14001 lb vehicles too. Didn't have the chance to call CARB or BAR about it yet, it was a stupid busy day today.

Once I get resolution from BAR on this I will take it to the same shop just to make a point, and to save future P/U owners the headache.

navistarnut 03-22-2017 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 17051380)
I happened to be listing to KFI 640 AM LA and it looks like they are thinking
about going after gas powered lawn equipment now also.

Off the deep end? I say they did that years ago.
Time to start looking for a catalytic converter for you cows.

Don't laugh too hard Sean, they want to tax cow farts. I have family in the valley that said to lump all Californians in the same boat is wrong, but they all feel the state is screwed in so many ways. The very reason my area has seen a noticeable influx of dairy farmers who gave them the middle finger and moved to the midwest and other areas such as ID where they don't have to put up with BS regs from the talking heads in the capitol.

TooManyToys. 03-22-2017 07:56 AM

If cow farts are a current problem, what was it like in the plains with herds of bison as far as the eye could see?

Bumblebee04 03-22-2017 09:02 AM

Hug a tree...is what comes to mind when I think of California LoL