Pulling with leveling kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 07:57 AM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carlosfj80
We just got a new toy hauler and I think the way the hitch is set-up is causing some serious sag. I'm new to setting up drop weight distribution hitches so I asked the dealer to. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Don't the torsion bars normally enter the WDH from the bottom?

Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Yes, there's no way for those to turn without hitting the trailer frame.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 AM
dlauffenburger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just got a new toy hauler and I think the way the hitch is set-up is causing some serious sag. I'm new to setting up drop weight distribution hitches so I asked the dealer to. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
As mentioned earlier, my EX lift WDH has the bars entering the bottom of the hitch and the chains connecting to the trailer below the A-Frame.

Gota ask, what is up with the duck?

Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 AM
Carlosfj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by dlauffenburger
As mentioned earlier, my EX lift WDH has the bars entering the bottom of the hitch and the chains connecting to the trailer below the A-Frame.

Gota ask, what is up with the duck?
Oregon State Beaver fan here, I have a huge distaste for our in state rival ducks. I stuck it on there last year for the annual civil war game.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:03 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,779 Likes on 2,765 Posts
Oregon State Beaver fan here, I have a huge distaste for our in state rival ducks. I stuck it on there last year for the annual civil war game.
And I was thinking you ran over a small child and the doll got caught in the chain.

Old 05-23-2017, 02:54 PM
defekticon
Senior User
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I laugh every time someone wants to "level" their truck and then they complain that it looks like it's a Chevy with a trailer behind it. So then they spend $800 on air bags. Idiots...
I still run bags on my F-350 without a leveling kit. Stability is key for me. I only run about 40lbs in the bags. I get that some folks need to run closer to 100 to keep the truck level with a leveling kit. There is a major anti-sway benefit for F-250's without a rear swaybar as long as the airbags are not Tee'd together.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:49 PM
Carlosfj80
Senior User
Originally Posted by defekticon
I still run bags on my F-350 without a leveling kit. Stability is key for me. I only run about 40lbs in the bags. I get that some folks need to run closer to 100 to keep the truck level with a leveling kit. There is a major anti-sway benefit for F-250's without a rear swaybar as long as the airbags are not Tee'd together.
What air bags do you guys suggest? I have decided that's the route to take. But after looking I have a fifth wheel hitch.

Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2017, 09:07 AM
rick danger
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have firestones. look into the wireless remote kit for them. it works with any brand air springs. keeps you from having to drill holes to mount switch and gauge in cab ,like i did. new truck will have that settup. with on board compressor.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:57 AM
MODSSO
5th Wheeling
I have a 2015 F350 DRW with Rough Country 2" front leveling kit and Firestone air bags in the rear. I really didn't like the look of the rear being jacked up from the factory. Now it sits level and I use the air bags to level the rear when towing. We have a '17 XLR Thunderbolt 422 that weighs in @21k when loaded. Pulls it very well with this setup. However it does ride like a tank LMAO. In the near future I'm going to switch to an air hitch & pin box.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
MODSSO
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
I laugh every time someone wants to "level" their truck and then they complain that it looks like it's a Chevy with a trailer behind it. So then they spend $800 on air bags. Idiots...
I laugh every time someone offers an uneducated opinion that does nothing to help the original OP questions.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Looks good. What's your pin weight and how much air do you have to put in the bags? I'm thinking about adding 6000lb springs and (possibly) a leveling kit to my truck. Already have airbags.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:16 AM
MODSSO
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by defekticon
Looks good. What's your pin weight and how much air do you have to put in the bags? I'm thinking about adding 6000lb springs and (possibly) a leveling kit to my truck. Already have airbags.
Pin weight by the book says 3650 but I suspect it's a bit more. I usually run about 55-60psi in the bags. I have an onboard compressor and in cab remote so setting the bags is easy. Also depends on if I fill the 60g transfer tank up. I usually only fill it for longer trips that way I'm not carrying extra weight unnecessarily.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 AM
MODSSO
5th Wheeling
What truck? I'd be careful about changing to a heavier spring because the damn things already ride like a tank.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:38 AM
defekticon
Senior User
Originally Posted by MODSSO
What truck? I'd be careful about changing to a heavier spring because the damn things already ride like a tank.
2011 F-350 DRW. Basically going from the 5600lb spring up to the plow package 6000lb spring. That should level it without the need for a spacer. Buddy of mine has a 2015 DRW with the plow package, I prefer the way it rides and keeps the truck level.

Also that's a crazy amount of pin weight. I was told when I bought my TH when you put toys in the garage it lowers the pin weight. But I'm fairly certain that never happens, even with 1000lbs of motorcycles in the garage. I don't notice that I need to run less pressure in the bags to get the truck level. I need to get it on a scale because I'm certain that the trailer - empty exceeds the 14,773 GVWR. Forest River sucks.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:16 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MODSSO
I have a 2015 F350 DRW with Rough Country 2" front leveling kit and Firestone air bags in the rear. I really didn't like the look of the rear being jacked up from the factory. Now it sits level and I use the air bags to level the rear when towing. We have a '17 XLR Thunderbolt 422 that weighs in @21k when loaded. Pulls it very well with this setup. However it does ride like a tank LMAO. In the near future I'm going to switch to an air hitch & pin box.
Nice truck/trailer! Did you simply add the airbags to the existing rear suspension or was it more involved? I have a Super Duty DRW on order and am very interested in learning more about your setup.

Quick Reply: Pulling with leveling kit