2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Fx4 package

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 11:29 AM
44Dan44
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Crews
Did you opt for it?

why did you?

if you did not, why did you choose not too.

Curious what others think, I do not ant hill descent control but as of late I'm figuring if I am going to lift the truck there is no point in having this package.

I dont need to pay 700$ for AT tires, ranch shocks, and skid plates.

Just wondering if others feel feel the same way.

Thanks!
Based on your previous posts and lift plans, I wouldn't spend the extra $ at the dealership on the FX4 as you will replace the wheels and tires for sure, shocks maybe depending on the direction you go with the lift. Skid plates alone at $100 seem like cheap insurance even if you don't plan to off road.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 AM
lotsofords
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 44Dan44
Based on your previous posts and lift plans, I wouldn't spend the extra $ at the dealership on the FX4 as you will replace the wheels and tires for sure, shocks maybe depending on the direction you go with the lift. Skid plates alone at $100 seem like cheap insurance even if you don't plan to off road.
All true. For the OP it is a choice of hill decent, skid plates and e-lock if it is SRW.
Sounds like the skid plate stand alone option would be the best choice. But if it's lifted and not going over rocks, even that is unnecessary. ... but you have to have those stickers! who doesn't want those...lol

Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 PM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Received 56 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I agree again. I wouldn't (and didn't) let the shocks stop me from ordering the package on my 2012. I just wouldn't use having the Rancho branded shocks as a reason TO order the package. If they fail, which they did for me, you just swap them out for something better. I was actually pleased mine failed so I could go to a shock not only better then them but also better than any other OE shock offering. Any excuse to upgrade is fine with me...
I have a question on shocks, and it seems like the folks posting here know shocks. What are currently considered premium shocks for the 17' F-350 DRW trucks?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2017, 12:37 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Bilstein 5100 (or 4600) are the fan favorite around here. Fox has quite a few popular offerings for the 17 too. Rancho 9000 are great if you are one for tweaking as they are adjustable like many of the Fox offerings. I think most go Bilstein as they are set it and forget it with no adjustment.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Thumper911
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the FX4 package knowing that the majority of time it will be on-road use, but being in Southern CA, off road use with hills is a possibility. I live near Joshua Tree, Ocatillo Wells, Mount Baldy and Big Bear. Never thought I'd need HDC until my last truck got pressed into duty as a support truck for a team running the Baja 1000. Got the e-locker on my SRW F350 as well. I realize that the expense may not be fully justifiable, but, in my case, there is no other way to get HDC without it. I can always swap shocks to something more durable/functional.

Interesting side note: the first year my team ran the 1000 was the year Ford ran the Raptor through it, disguised as a lifted F150. The military also ran an LATV through, powered by diesel-electric motors and equipped with planetary axles a la Hummer. It barely finished after multiple mechanical failures. The Raptor was awesome. I'm sure I have pictures of them laying around somewhere.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 PM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Bilstein 5100 (or 4600) are the fan favorite around here. Fox has quite a few popular offerings for the 17 too. Rancho 9000 are great if you are one for tweaking as they are adjustable like many of the Fox offerings. I think most go Bilstein as they are set it and forget it with no adjustment.
I'm a fan of the 5100's, I use them on my Jeep. I've searched online for these for a 17' F350 DRW and haven't been successful coming up with a vendor or a part number. Any chance that you may have a source?

Thanks

Old 03-19-2017, 02:29 PM
REPO.
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may have gotten if it wasn't for the darn stickers. But I really don't need it. Highway truck 99.9% of the time.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM
AMXDREAMER
Posting Guru
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
For me the price was a worthwhile investment (under $500) for the skidplates etc. A lot cheaper than replacing parts that hit a rock. The shocks will get replaced when they stop doing their job.

I don't mind the stickers :P

Old 03-19-2017, 02:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by tomfordgt
I'm a fan of the 5100's, I use them on my Jeep. I've searched online for these for a 17' F350 DRW and haven't been successful coming up with a vendor or a part number. Any chance that you may have a source?

Thanks
Tom, I don't recall having seen anyone post numbers for the 17 yet but some other brands have said the 11-16 numbers are the same for 17. I'd drop Bilstein a line and see if it's the same for them.

On a side note, if you don't mind the color(s), the 4600 are identically valved and built to the 5100's and are less expensive. However they are built for stock height only while the 5100's are for stock height up to a 2" lift. I always liked the 5100 series better for looks so I usually went that route though.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM
tomfordgt
Tuned
Tom, I don't recall having seen anyone post numbers for the 17 yet but some other brands have said the 11-16 numbers are the same for 17. I'd drop Bilstein a line and see if it's the same for them.

On a side note, if you don't mind the color(s), the 4600 are identically valved and built to the 5100's and are less expensive. However they are built for stock height only while the 5100's are for stock height up to a 2" lift. I always liked the 5100 series better for looks so I usually went that route though.
I'll call them tomorrow. When I searched on the Bilstein website I get this message: "Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle."

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:13 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by tomfordgt
I'll call them tomorrow. When I searched on the Bilstein website I get this message: "Unfortunately, at this time we do not make any products for this vehicle."

Thanks again.
A lot of manufacturers have websites that are very slow to update when a new redesign comes out. Let us know if you find they have something Tom...

Old 03-19-2017, 03:18 PM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
I plan on running the BDS 4" Radius Arm suspension lift with the Fox 2.0 upgrade they offer. I asked about other Fox shock options but they're not ready - yet. I'm sure they will be available since BDS is owned by Fox.

As for the FX4 Offroad Package it's worth it just for the skid plates.

I will be taking the F250 off road - we go to Anza-Borrego State Park (great place!), Ocotillo Wells (gotta watch the kids on their offroad bikes and quads), Death Valley (most awesome) and the Sierras in the summer. Can't wait to camp and offroad in the Super Duty.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:25 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
As for the FX4 Offroad Package it's worth it just for the skid plates.
Remember the skids are available as a stand alone option so if you don't want or need HDC, then no, the FX4 is not worth it just for the plates. If you just want the plates, just order the plates and save some $.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:33 PM
MagicMtnDan
Laughing Gas
Received 140 Likes on 86 Posts
Remember the skids are available as a stand alone option so if you don't want or need HDC, then no, the FX4 is not worth it just for the plates. If you just want the plates, just order the plates and save some $.
Thanks! But I'd have to order the truck to do that as I can't imagine there are any stock trucks with just the skid plates.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:38 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan
Thanks! But I'd have to order the truck to do that as I can't imagine there are any stock trucks with just the skid plates.
That's true for sure. Most of the stock SRW trucks at my dealer have the FX4 option. It definitely sells trucks. None with the plates alone. I ordered mine that way but I understand not wanting to wait for a custom order...

Quick Reply: Fx4 package