1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

dashboard layouts

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:01 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 726 Likes on 259 Posts
dashboard layouts

gettin ready to lay out dash and console.... show me some dashboards and extensions and consoles... I've got a blank slate...

console will hold radio, cup holders, hood, door and window switches ...

whatcha got

Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2017, 06:22 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
I guess it all depends on what you are installing on the dash John. In my case I am using an electronic e-brake and a keyless pushbutton ignition...both have 22mm billet pushbuttons. There will be no ignition key. I will have a light switch and a wiper switch, both will probably go on the left just because that's where they were originally installed and where I am comfortable accessing them. I have seen smoothed dashes like yours where the owner/builder could not bring themselves to drill into the dash. They ended up hiding all the controls. Good luck!

Case in point:

Attached Images  
Old 03-14-2017, 07:42 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I must have been having a senior moment when I read your thread title John. I don't think I have anything that would be of use for what you're looking for.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I guess it all depends on what you are installing on the dash John. In my case I am using an electronic e-brake and a keyless pushbutton ignition...both have 22mm billet pushbuttons. There will be no ignition key. I will have a light switch and a wiper switch, both will probably go on the left just because that's where they were originally installed and where I am comfortable accessing them. I have seen smoothed dashes like yours where the owner/builder could not bring themselves to drill into the dash. They ended up hiding all the controls. Good luck!

Case in point:
thought about the keyless ign. but decided against it...plain old keyed switch, wiper switch and light switch for me... a/c controls in the middle of the extension and everything else in the console... your dash is sweet...nice and clean. thanks
j

Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
I think you[ve seen mine before, but will post again. I initially did my console layout in poster board and transferred to thin cheap plywood. I wanted it to be as light as possible. I used small spacers glued and screwed into the plywood sides. Note that I introduced a slight offset to the passenger side to give plenty of space at the gas pedal.
Bought some cheap fleece at Wallyworld, stretched it over the plywood console, stapled in place. Hardened the fleece with polyester resin, followed by a layer of 1.5 ounce mat Dependent on whether you upholster or paint on the next step. If paint..... lots of sanding and smoothing. Obviously I'm not quite finished..........still thinking about what else I want to do.

oh yea Drew, I remember yours... but my talent is on a much lower level... well, you can see that in my pics.. gonna let an upholstery guy make my sows ear into something decent... thinking now my dash extension will hold ign. sw. lights and wipers... and a/c duct and controls.. dash itself will remain unscathed and unholy... console will have all the other switches and doodads...... I put the extensions pieces in and the steering column so I could get a feel of where stuff would 'feel' right. 'course had to put in the seat frame and the seat to have a seat to feel with. and they all just laid themselves out for me... based on how I've reached for stuff for years. Also spent two hours looking for the adapter for the steering wheel... it was on the shelf at eye level marked "steering wheel parts'. I moved it at least 3 times looking for it . I do a lot of looking for stuff in my old age thanks for the post and pictures... your's is gonna be killer

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:07 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
spent two hours looking for the adapter for the steering wheel... it was on the shelf at eye level marked "steering wheel parts'. I moved it at least 3 times looking for it . I do a lot of looking for stuff in my old age
Thanks for the validation...I thought it was just me

Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 PM
DadOh1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's mine. Since I'm the world's worst welder I made a wood dash extension. Currently working on a wood dash insert for the gauges but at the rate I'm going the wood will fossilize before I finish...

Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2017, 10:00 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,831 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2

Nope, not just you. I should get one of those fancy "FitBit" thingies to record steps. I bet I'd rack up 10,000 steps in a day just shuffling in circles in the garage trying to find what I'm looking for....

Old 03-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Rusted56
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's mine...

Name:  DSC00463_zpsmz67fqgt.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  230.4 KB

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 AM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Oh Good! It's not just me.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:48 AM
rannaska
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just spent the better part of sat afternoon looking or my 9/16 wrench. Found it in my back pocket.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Been there! Sure take a bite outta progress doesn't it?

Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
There should be an app for that. http://Wherethehellismy9/16"wrench.com

Old 03-22-2017, 09:29 AM
blueovalandy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1950 Ford car dash cut down to fit my 1950 ford F-1. I'm still working on finishing it up, but I like it.

Andy

Old 03-22-2017, 12:52 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blueovalandy
1950 Ford car dash cut down to fit my 1950 ford F-1. I'm still working on finishing it up, but I like it.

Andy
looks like dan burnett's dash

Quick Reply: dashboard layouts