Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cowl Refinish with Bed Liner

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No, no full write up as it was pretty easy and cheap to do. I had been applying black again to them for a while as they were sun faded.

The project started when I decided to sand off the pinstripes. Then I buffed the area out, got mission creep and polished the whole truck as well as waxed it.

I pulled the wiper arms off the semi gloss them with trim paint, then decided might as well pull the cowl cover off. Glad I did as the fitting for the washer fluid were cracked and leaking. I did end up replacing all the hoses and fittings underneath the cowl.

On to the cowl covers. Pretty dirty underneath, additionally with all the silicone's over the years as well as the black again, I used purple power degreaser 3 times to make sure they were clean. Brushed them while doing so.

Prior to that I pulled off the rubber trim next to the windshield, comes right off easy.

Once they were clean and dry I then used denatured alcohol to give them a final cleaning prior to painting.

I live in Fl, so temps were mid 70's this day.

What I used was duplicolor spray in truck bed coating. They make two different kinds, the black can is called armour coat, is water based and sucks. You want to buy the blue can, which is solvent based.

On the first coat you have to apply in 4 different directions to get full coverage due to how its molded. Hold the can about 10-12 inches away. You just need to make sure you have 100% coverage.

As to texture, the farther away you spray, the rougher/smaller the texture will be. If you get it too smooth in one spot, back away and dust it with the sprayer. If you try it you will see how you can vary the texture. You just need a good first base coat down.

It dries to touch in about an hour, but I leave it overnight to harden further. After about a week, this stuff is crazy tuff.

The seals just pop back on with no problem too.

I have used this stuff on bike frames, you can get it smooth or rough and anything in between if you play with the distances. I have shot it on from 2-3 feet away to get the look I wanted.

PS: There are no tabs to break either. I did replace all the crappy screws with #8X1 SS Pan head Phillips screws.

Thats all there is to it. Cost for the liner was about $10, screws $2, hoses and hose fittings about $20.

Makes a big difference

Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Have you done a full write up on this? If so, can you post a link? If not, may I ask you a few questions?

1. What type of bed liner product did you use?

2. Commercially applied, or applied at home?

3. If at home, was it rolled on, rattle canned, or hvlp'ed with a compressor?

4. Was the product heated? Or room temperature when applied?

5. Is it a two part catalyzed product? Or a single part moisture curing product?

What is so intriguing about the product you chose, or the way it was applied, is the fine grain texture that is not unlike texture grained plastic... as opposed to the typical large grained gloopy textured bedliner products that just don't look quite right anywhere else but inside of a pickup bed. Based on the quality appearance of your resulting finish, and based on observing the professional body shop folding stands that you have the cowl pieces resting on, clearly someone having some experience did this work, and if that person was you, all the better, as we can learn more!

Another topic of interest is how exactly you removed those cowl pieces... without breaking anything. Any hints, tips, or things you learned along the way toward that end would be very helpful. By now, that plastic has been baking in the sun for a decade and a half... increasing the likelihood of breaking retention tabs, to the extent that any still exist. Please share your story on that.

Finally, what about the rubber seals? Did you pull those off before bed lining your cowl pieces? And did the rubber seals slip back on again easily enough, despite the increase in thickness due to the bed liner? Do tell!

And nice job btw! Consider starting a new thread with your write up, and maybe Stewart will curate it and move it to the tech folder for posterity. This thread is getting a little long in the tooth to find anything specific.

Thanks for posting your project!

Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,752 Posts
Oldguyfl... outstanding details, thank you. REPS sent!

Just to be clear on the DupliColor Truck Bed coating products,

Your recommendation is to get this bed coating?

And to AVOID this bed "armor":

Since both products have shades of blue on their labels, I wanted to be sure. The second product says it has Kevlar, and is marketed as "tougher", but admits to being water based.

Old 03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Two posts copied and moved to its own thread for...well...y'all know why.

Consider starting a new thread with your write up, and maybe Stewart will curate it and move it to the tech folder for posterity. This thread is getting a little long in the tooth to find anything specific.

Thanks for posting your project!
Yeah, because we like to hoard info and post it for all to learn (and emulate) if we so choose!

Stewart

Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Yes, you are correct, it is great stuff to use.

Oldguyfl... outstanding details, thank you. REPS sent!

Just to be clear on the DupliColor Truck Bed coating products,

Your recommendation is to get this bed coating?

And to AVOID this bed "armor":

Since both products have shades of blue on their labels, I wanted to be sure. The second product says it has Kevlar, and is marketed as "tougher", but admits to being water based.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Emulate away !!

Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Two posts copied and moved to its own thread for...well...y'all know why.

Yeah, because we like to hoard info and post it for all to learn (and emulate) if we so choose!

Stewart

Old 03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Y2KW57
Oldguy... in order to better emulate, can you please confirm/answer my question to you in the post above regarding which Duplicolor to get, and which to avoid?

I apologize in advance if my post may have read as a statement, but it is actually a question (Your recommendation is to get this bed coating?"), since there is a shade of blue in each product label. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Oldguy... in order to better emulate, can you please confirm/answer my question to you in the post above regarding which Duplicolor to get, and which to avoid?
Hmm, I read his post as a confirmation to your question, that you were correct in "getting this one" and to "avoid this one" when he said yep.

I guess it can be taken differently too.

Stewart

Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM
Y2KW57
So embarrassing. Sorry. I missed post #4 altogether, as my quoted photos within post #4 were at the end of the post, instead of the beginning as most quotes are, and therefore I assumed that it was my unanswered post that was the last post prior to "emulate away". I know that isn't sufficient excuse for not rereading the entire thread thoroughly, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Thanks for the cliff notes Stewart. And thanks for separating Oldguy's great tips into a separate searchable thread. And thanks Oldguy for the confirmation. No need to do it twice!

Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
So embarrassing. Sorry. I missed post #4 altogether, as my quoted photos within post #4 were at the end of the post, instead of the beginning as most quotes are, and therefore I assumed that it was my unanswered post that was the last post prior to "emulate away". I know that isn't sufficient excuse for not rereading the entire thread thoroughly, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it. Thanks for the cliff notes Stewart. And thanks for separating Oldguy's great tips into a separate searchable thread. And thanks Oldguy for the confirmation. No need to do it twice!
Yes, get the truck bed coating !!